z

Young Writers Society

*waves* Hello y'all!

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:22 pm
Anna09 says...

Hello :)
I found this site by the writer's digest 101 sites, and am really glad I did. I'm a big NaNoWriMo-er, but after November I was at a loss to do. NaNo sort of dies after Nov., and I was forced to try and find a new writing home. From what I've seen, this looks like the perfect spot. :)
Hm. Because I hate writing these types of posts (I can never think of what to say!) I've read others, so I guess I should talk about what I like. Hopefully I won't bore you too much. =)
I, of course, like writing and reading (Shantaram anyone?). I love playing the piano, which I have done for years, and the clarinet, which I do for band.
I love fantasy, and thus love LOTR and the like. On a random note, I love Zelda, and all the games. Um. Well. I'm in color guard, I love the Sciences...and that's about it!
I've seen (most) of the rules, and am quite glad about the chat speak one. You know, at school, everyone thinks I'm really smart. But I can not for the life of me read chat speak. I have to sit and stare at it, squinting and tilting my head, before I can somewhat understand it.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:30 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Glad you've read the rules. Have you seen the 2:1 ratio one? It's the rule on the site along with no chat-speak. It's asked you review two works before posting any of your own, and always have two reviews for everything you have up.

Oh yes, you have come to the right place. As one member put it, YWS (Young Writers Society) is like NaNo all year round!

NaNo, eh? What was your book about? I'm pretty sure it was fantasy, but what was the plot?

Some abbreviations you'll see are MC (Main Character), POV (Point Of View), lol, brb, btw, and the like. It's word abbreviations we're mostly talking about.

What are your favourite books (other then LOTR)? Authors (Tolkien exculded)?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

And if you need anything, PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:31 pm
Meep(: says...

Whoo! I love the piano too!!! :D
Oh, and welcome to the YWS family!
We're glad to have you here.

Yay, a responsible new member who reads the rules!
Anyway, you know the chatspeak rule,
But have you read up about the 2:1 ratio rule?
For every 1 piece of work you post, you must reiview 2 others, not done by you. It can be anything from a story, to a poem, even a script. You don't have to do it immediately before or after posting, but its best you get it done soon.

Feel free to PM for anything! :D
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:46 pm
Anna09 says...

I have read about the 2:1 review thing, which means that I need to go review some :)
My NaNo...
There are secrets, and then they are secrets. Michael has his share of both, and has always kept them to himself. Sure, he has had relationships, but none had ended well. His worst fear-that when he became immortal he lost his ability to love-seems to have come true.
Then he meets Jade, a girl who is different. Michael doesn't realize that he has fallen in love until it is too late. Afraid that he doesn't love her, and for the fear of breaking her heart, he tells her one of his darkest secrets. If she doesn't run away screaming, he figures, then perhaps she is the right girl and perhaps he really is in love with her.
Jade's reaction to the fact that he is immortal shocked Michael. It just didn't appear to faze her at all. Instead of fear, she shows only the unconditional love that she always had. It is then, right then, that Michael realizes that he truly loves her with all of his heart, and that he can do nothing to endanger that.
But Michael's past contains more demons than hell itself. He realizes that in order to be able to face Jade without shame and to live without always looking over his shoulder, he must absolve his troubled past. So he runs off to understand and come to terms with his past, leaving a note for Jade, a note that would never be found.

What Michael never expected was that Jade would come after him.

-wince-
Wow that was long. Sorry? :)
The POV of the novel is actually from Jade, but for some reason I like this summery better (I've written one based on her). Anyway, I won NaNo :D but I still need to finish the book, I have some in the middle still to write.
It's always hard to point to my favorite books, but I like Shantaram, and just about everything that Tamara Pierce has written, the trilogy Libba Bray wrote, Inkspell, Ranger's Apprentice, City of the Beasts, Chronicles of Narnia, and more.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:55 pm
Rosendorn says...

You mean Tamora Pierce? Writer of the absolutly amazing Song of the Lioness, Immortals and Protector of the Small quartets? And Terrier, one of my all-time favourite books? I love you!

Whoa, that looks really interesting, but a tad creepy. It's probably best you don't post anything on here until it's done, but you can ask for help in one of the boards. Writer's Corner is for people having trouble with plots.

There are also usergroups you can check out, under the Groups button in the header. You'll find almost everything there, so poke around!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:36 pm
Night Mistress says...

Oh, Narnia and Libba Bray, and Tamora Pierce fan. I like you already.

Hey,

welcome to the family.

so, you are doing NaNo? i could never do that, unless an inspiration hit me really hard.

well, if you need anything, feel free to pm me.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:17 am
LilyJamey says...

Ello there, welcome to YWS! I'm Lily.

I haven't tried NaNo, but it sounds pretty impossible to me, since if I want to write something, I have to finish it all in one go, or else I'll abandon it. So it's kind of hard to write 50,000+ words in a month. Your story sounds interesting.

Oo, a responsible member. I see you've reviewed already. ;)

I'm not fond of chatspeak either, but I use it often enough. Otherwise, my friends would think I'm stuck up, which would then be reinforced by the way I speak (in perfect sentences, hardly any slang involved). I hate hearing and reading unintentional grammatical errors.

Have fun on the site. Knock yourself out (not literally, of course)!

Cheers,
Lily.
Got YWS?

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:40 pm
Sare Agama says...

Hi, and welcome! I won't bore you with the rules, since everyone else did. :D Oh my gosh!

Anyway, I won NaNo Very Happy but I still need to finish the book.
Congratulations!

I, of course, like writing and reading, I love playing the piano, which I have done for years, and the clarinet, which I do for band.I love fantasy, and thus love LOTR and the like. On a random note, I love Zelda, and all the games. Um. Well. I'm in color guard, I love the Sciences...and that's about it!
Are we twins!? Have you heard of Warrior Cats?*done by Erin Hunter* How about Redwall?*done by Brian Jaques*
Nice to meet you!
Your monthly Bible quote: "Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are decietful." Proverbs 27:6

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:06 pm
WaterVyper says...

Hi and here's somebody else saying welcome! I understand what you're saying, chatspeak is very hard for me to understand. Ooh, and you like Inkspell too? *pounces on* Who are your favorite characters? I like Dustfinger and Violante.

And you finished NaNo? I'd never be able to do that. It's just so difficult and time consuming, especially with final examinations coming up early December. Good for you! And your novel sounds interesting. What's it called? Are you going to publish it? If you are, then I'm buying it.

Anyway, I think that's all. Have fun!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:09 pm
Merry_Haven says...

*Anna~

When I read how you found this site, I laughed! :lol: I actually found this site after reading Writer's Digest on the 101 sites for writing. And man, did it help.

For me, I tried NaNo, too. But I never made it. It was such a high mark for only a month.

Hehehe. Let's see...I played the flute for a year in fifth grade and the cello in middle school. My, did I love the orchestra class I was in. It was like a second family. It's too bad I'm in high school now. :(

Wow, another Zelda fan. :D My younger sister's just got the Twilight Princess one and have the other ones, also. That's like their favorite one so far, plus with the other 30+ video games. :roll:

Oh, I know! I hate chat-speak, too! It gives me a headache just staring at it.

Anyway, if you ever wanna chat, you are feel free to do so. See you around!

*Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:44 am
Rydia says...

Hello there! First I must say congratulations on the NaNo achievement, that's superb. I missed it by about two thousand words last year but this year shall be different =)

And a true fantasy reader, it's good to meet you. Allow me to point you in the direction of Stephen King and Robert Jordan, you might find their books enjoyable =)

If you need a review, have any questions or would like to chat/ compare notes on fantasy novels then feel free to send a pm my way. (I'm invading the welcome forums just so I can get a few more items on my review list, pathetic huh? ;))

Enjoy your stay around the site!

Heather xx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

gonna be honest, i dont believe in the moon
— sheyren