Young Writers Society

Heya! ^.^

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:22 am
Demeter says...

Hey, Etain!

Welcome to YWS! You sound really interesting, it's great to have you here :)

I was wondering where your username comes from. It's cool, and reminded me of French somehow.

We haven't got that many common interests, but it doesn't matter :D All the better, I think.

Well! Have fun and PM me on anything at all, I'd love to help you out!

See you around,

Demeter
xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Reviews: 4
Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:57 am
Etain says...

That sounds like an awesome science club.

I've only read a handful of science fiction, sadly. Most of them were distopian like 1984. But those Asimov ones sound really interesting. I need to see if they're in my library at school. Maybe I'll even manage to get credit for reading them. :)

My username came from an Irish Goddess, I think a sun goddess. I'm normally horrible at thinking up usernames, so I just poked around Encyclopedia Mythica until I found something I liked. It does look a little French though... Oh well, I'm Irish and French, so I guess it fits. :)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:00 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Asimov and Heinlein are much more fun to read.

Asimov focuses more on the philosophical aspects of Science Fiction. So, instead of focusing on spaceships and technology, he focuses more on the problems that emerge from technology. For instance, in his compilation "I, Robot" Asimov didn't focus on how robots were made, but on the relationship between robots and humans.

His characters can be a little flat, but it's still worth a read.

Heinlein on the other hand focused more on politics and military science fiction. "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", "Starship Troopers", and "Farmer in the Sky" are all worth reading.

Another person to add to your Sci-Fi list is Orson Scott Card. His book "Ender's Game" is just plain awesome.

Dystopia's may be artistic, but I don't really like reading them.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:07 pm
Rosendorn says...

Encyclopedia Mythica sounds like my kind of book!

There is a usergroup on here (found by clicking on the Groups button in the header) that's called Mythology Maniacs. You should check it out.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Very well; I hear; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness