z

Young Writers Society

Hey *wave*

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:45 pm
Leoni says...

Hey there :D See you all around soon I suppose! Off to do some reviewin' so I can do some postin' :)

Hopefully see you round

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:09 pm
StellaThomas says...

Oh yay! A dutiful newbie!

Hi there Leoni, I'm Stella, your friendly neighbourhood fairy :D. So tell us a bit about yourself, where in the world are you from, what do you like to read and write, what else makes you tick (aside from writing, and if you don't like writing then... well, what are you doing on YWS? ;))

I needn't tell you about the two review rule then.

Hoping that I'll see you around, m'dear, and PM me if you need anything!

-Stella.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:26 pm
God says...

Hey Leoni,
I may not be the most eligable of people to comment here, or to tell you what's what, but, the way I see it, lend a hand to those in need, and accept help when you yourself need it, right?

so, as you seem to already be aware of, YWS policy is, don't post until you have at least two reviews,

Other things to be aware of,

1. I am not in any way an authority figure, so don't take what I say here as law, these are just things I found helpful.

2. you are 19, yes? thats a pretty good age, most 19 year olds are pretty thick-skinned, but you will recieve some reviews that are less than helpful, or that tear your work to shreds, the only thing I can say about this, is just flow with it, there are some of us who blatantly disagree with some styles of critique, but well, we are few and far between.

3. try to steer away from foul language in your reviews, your work, sure, thats your business, but be polite when you are commenting something of someone elses.

4. be honest with people, no plagarism, don't give phony reviews, that sort of thing.

5. try to use proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar when you post, it makes things much easier when people read your posts, reviews, and whatnots.

6. writing is an art, just as painting, music, cooking, and whatever you seem to have an interest in, it should stay that way, and art should never be chained by petty laws of society, so if you have something to say, just say it (or write it), the most abhorred of crimes is to leave something unsaid when it should have been said.

thats about it, for now. If there is anything you need answered, well, you can PM me, or ask someone who actually knows what they are talking about. im just messing with you, I know vaguely what I'm talking about, and if anyone has something against what I've told you, well, as I said, I don't claim to be an authority figure here.

Peace,
God

P.S. if you have a major issue with my username, which some people do, just call me somehting else, Travis works, or just "Hey You!" whatever you wish, it works for me.
Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:44 pm
sofi says...

Hi Leoni!

Welcome to YWS! It's always nice to have a new memeber :D

So what kinds of things do you like to write? Poetry, Romance, Science fiction? Or maybe just a bit of everything?

Well whatever it is YWS will have it so take a look around and site and see what sparks your interest. There are loads of groups you can join as well, one for pretty much everything and if there isn't one that you're looking for you can always create one! :D

Anyway, I'm starting to sound like a really cheesy TV advert sooo I'll just say I hope you like it here and see you around! :D

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or anyone with a blue name really, we're greeters, that's what we're here for! (But that being said no-one else will bite if you ask them either!)

Sofi.
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:59 pm
Rosendorn says...

God covered the main points and did an amazing job on it, and since you have already read the rules there is no need to explain them!

Questions that haven't been asked are: Who's your favourite author? What are your favourite books?

If you need anything, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:00 am
LilyJamey says...

Ello there, Leoni! Welcome to the family!

I'm Lily, and I'm a fiction writer. Since you already read the rules, I don't have much to tell you.

Sooooo, what kind of stuff do you write? Tell me if you write anything, I can critique if you like. Any hobbies, by the way?

Hope you enjoy yourself!

Cheers,
Lily.

P.S: God: I am not in any way an authority figure. That sounds so weird.
Got YWS?

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:09 am
Meep(: says...

Hey Leoni!
Nice to see you're sticking to the rules,
Good job!
Welcome to the YWS family! I hope you have a great time here.

It seems that God has done a thorough job briefing you on all other rules.
So...I don't think I can add anything on.

what kind of genres do you like to write?

~Oh, and feel free to PM me for just about anything, including friendship :D

P.S: God, or Travis, whichever you prefer, people have been voicing their disapproval for your username? (I don't have a problem with it, by the way.)
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:41 pm
Night Mistress says...

hey,

welcome to the family.

I'm Night Mistress and I'm a Romance fiction writer, but i am starting to dip into fantasy fiction.

Since the rules have been explain, i guess i won't do that.

so what type of book do you read and who is your favorite author?

If you need anything, feel free to pm me.

see ya around.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:20 pm
Leoni says...

Hey guys! Nice to get such a lovely responses to a simple hello! Thanks guys :D

Um...I write lots of random stuff. I'm not good at short stories because it seems physically impossible for me to be able to finish anything, and I'm no good at poems so stories it is for me!

Actually right now I'm trying my hand at fantasy too Night Mistress! but I don't think it's working out too great. Actually I've come on here to get rid of my writers block. I've got the point where I think everything I write is terrible. I thought maybe asking someone that I don't know if it was or not would help!

But usually I don't write fantasy, although I wouldn't exactly know which genre to fit them in, I suppose they involve a bit of everything. I have now just posted something up on YWS and it's certainly not the kind of thing I usually write; bet you could tell if you read it!

God: (haha, your name just makes me chuckle) I'm not 19, Im actually 18, but I do have quite a thick-skin when it comes to my writing :) So long as its someone I don't know, my family and friends are forebidden from seeing my stuff! Is that strange? haha. Usually if something I do is completely ripped into I ignore the person, I usually only take constructive criticisms on board.

So tell us a bit about yourself, where in the world are you from, what do you like to read and write, what else makes you tick (aside from writing, and if you don't like writing then... well, what are you doing on YWS? )

I'm from England, the North :D I'll read anything to give it a go but usually not historical or romance stuff (sorry to those who do!). I love films, so that's how I write really. I often go for a walk with my MP3 and play out all my ideas like a movie in my head to music. Or I just imagine it all in my head during the day, which often involves me not paying attention to people, lampposts, oncoming traffic...

And I'm at uni now, so most of my life revolves around sport and working!
And yeah, I do love to write :wink:

My favourite author....wow, that's really hard! I LOVE Dave Eggars, the way he writes is just amazing. My favourite book of his is 'You Shall Know Our velocity'. It's one of those books that whne you get to the end, you feel like you've just been physically wrenched out of something and it hurts! But nobody ever knows who Dave Eggars is when I say that to them haha.

I like Tolkein though, which is why I've been trying my hand at some fantasy.
And I love the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series for some fun hehe.

Anywya I think Ive talked about myself way too much so I'll skidaddle now. :D
Thanks for the welcome guys, and all the offers of help, I appreciate it!

Leoni

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:03 pm
Rosendorn says...

Fantasy dabbler eh? I've spent the past six years (the whole time I've been writing) in the fantasy genre. I greatly enjoy it and am very willing to offer help!

There are several usergroups here you can try out for fantasy. They're also very willing to offer help. Click the Groups button in the header and poke around.

Here on YWS you'll get both constructive critiques and lit into, sometimes by the same person. A lot of people on here are known as "shredders" and will cut your work (and your ego) down to size. What they say is usually constructive though, since they take actual quotes from your work.

Purple names are the people you want to go to for an in-depth review. They're instructors, and that's their job.

Other name colours are:
Blue- Greeters. Our job is to make new members feel welcome and answer basic questions.
Light green- Jr. mods. Mods-in-training that have powers in some forums
Green- Mods. Full powers everywhere and will answer advanced questions you have.
Red- Admins. They keep things running.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:20 am
WaterVyper says...

Hi Leoni! So, you like movies huh? What are your favorites? I like...well, I'm not really a movies person. Not English movies at least. I like Jelangkung and Denias Senandung di Atas Awan which are both Indonesian.

Dabbling in fantasy? You'll find tons of people to help you out. Fantasy is one of the more popular genres here and there are lots of people who are experts at it. What type of fantasy do you write? Urban fantasy or the classic fantasy?

Well, feel free to PM me if you need and assistance. And now, I'm off to read your work!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:48 am
LilyJamey says...

I've got the point where I think everything I write is terrible.

That's normal. The Writer's Corner can help - it's filled with advice about writer's block. :)
Got YWS?

Is anyone else desperately waiting to see themselves in the quote gen?
— TheCursedCat