z

Young Writers Society

Hey! Newbie from MA here!

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:17 pm
Suzuhara says...

Hey everyone! I'm Sammy Suzuhara and I'm really happy to be here. I hope I can make writing buddies, critique, receive critiques and have fun. I'm a sci-fi person so are there any other sci-writers out there? :)
With tears in my eyes and blood in my hands, I pull through and conquer my fears. ~Zackaria Kato

Please check out my blog: sammysuzuhara.blogspot.com

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:20 pm
suicidal_panda says...

Hey, I'm Aka/Razzy/Akane/Char

xD

I'm known by alot of names.
Anyway, I'm new here too and I'm fond of alot of different writing
styles.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:27 pm
Jiggity says...

Yo, Suz!

Welcome to YWS! I'm a sci-fi and fantasy writer; so double welcome to you! Always good to see the ranks swell XD. Although personally, my fantasy writing tends to be the darker supernatural kind, not so much the lord of the rings, etc. Who's your favourite sci-fi writer? Orson Scott Card rules, aye?

Anyway, here we like for each member to review two pieces for every one they put up so make sure to spread the love okay? And you don't have to be literal with that, I meant just make sure you review other pieces, haha, you can be harsh if you need to. Totally encouraged to be harsh, but fair.

Anywhoodledoodle, that's enough out of me. PM if you need anything

Cheers
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

28 Reviews

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:37 pm
Suzuhara says...

Thank you both for the welcome! I'm a bit old school when it comes to sci-fi authors, I really liked Brave New World by Huxley and 1984 by Orwell. However, I'm in winter break right now so I'd like to have some suggestions for some good sci-fi reads to keep my creativity up. Any suggestions?
With tears in my eyes and blood in my hands, I pull through and conquer my fears. ~Zackaria Kato

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:39 pm
Rosendorn says...

Rule number 2 is minimize chat-speak. That means proper caps, spelling and grammar. Some abbreviations are okay, just don't overdo it.

Hmm. Sci-fi has one of the smaller turnovers on here. It's not my favourite and I don't really look at the forum, but to every his/her own!

Do you write/read any other genres? Who are your favourite authors?

If you need anything, drop me a line.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:48 pm
alwaysawriter says...

Hi, welcome to YWS! I'm alwaysawriter but you can call me any varation of the name or Kat.

You write sci-fi? Awesome. I've never attempted it but some of the sci-fi stories I read on here a while ago were awesome; just PM me and I'll gladly review it for you. :)

What do you do in your spare time, other than write? Play sports? Volunteer? Something else? Do you have any pets or siblings?

Did you know about the usergroups? They're little club-like things that have their own forum. I'm sure you'll find one that suites your hobbies, if you decide to join one (I'm part of over fifty, last time I checked :wink: ); we have ones that have everything from cartoons to a novelist group.

The best way to meet people? Reviewing is a great way and so is joining Chat when it's opened by a mod or admin or signing random guestbooks. :)

The breakdown of the wierd colors:

The green people are the senior and junior mods. Senior mods control and look over all of the forums while junior mods can only look over specific areas. Senior mods are dark green and junior mods are light green. You can see what mods are in what group by looking at the forums and clicking on the green groups next to Moderatered By...
Greeters are the blue people. They help new members learn their way around the site and participate in the Welcome forum frequently.
Instructors are the purple people. They post writing tips, have the best reviews, may offer online classes, and may even help people improve their reviews.
The red people are the administrators. There are few of them and they can do anything on the site: lock/delete threads, etc.
Distingushed Members are the orange people that were previously part of the mod team but stepped down for whatever reason.

This (http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewarticlebody.php?t=36288) may help you futher with some of your basic questions.

A little tip:
For the codes, be sure to press the button twice; before and after the word (or words) you want to bold/italize/underline/whatever. As long as it looks like this (random example) [e]word[/e], you're good. Make sure that there's this / thing at the part I showed you, otherwise it won't work.

I hope to see you around and welcome to the family! :)

-alwaysawriter
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

28 Reviews

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:53 pm
Suzuhara says...

Hi! Thanks for the welcome RU. I also write thrillers and some fantasy. My favorite author is Toni Morrison, which you may find weird since I write sci-fi, but I love her writing and all her books. The woman is a genius in her works. Let's see...I also enjoyed Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, another one of my favorite authors/books. I think Jane Eyre surpasses Pride and Prejudice, which I liked too, but oh well. :roll: Since I'm on the subject of books, I think I'll just splash out all my favorites: Life of Pi, Beloved, Catcher in the Rye, Kite Runner, His Dark Materials Trilogy, The Giver...hmmm, I know there's more, but I'm running a blank.

1272 Reviews

Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:03 pm
Rosendorn says...

Fantasy. Now you're speaking my language!

Hmm, never read those books. Even though my friends say I should read His Dark Materials.

My favourites are: Tamora Pierce, Eragon, most historical fiction and right now I love The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Merrott.

And a note- I'd prefer it if you called me Rosey, Rose or Unicorn instead of RU. Even though without chat-speak it's not confusing, it's not my favourite nickname.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:44 pm
LindseyBrooke says...

Hello! My name's Lindsey. You can call me Linds/LB whatever you want. Anyway, welcome to the site! I'm pretty new too and I love Sci-Fi. Although, I'm not very good at writing it. I am writing one now, but it's pretty rough. =/
Well I would love to see some of your work! If you've posted anything, I would love to review it!

Welcome!
-Lindsey
"Next year I'll be transferred to Pigfarts."
<3

28 Reviews

Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:52 pm
Suzuhara says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:Fantasy. Now you're speaking my language!

Hmm, never read those books. Even though my friends say I should read His Dark Materials.

My favourites are: Tamora Pierce, Eragon, most historical fiction and right now I love The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Merrott.

And a note- I'd prefer it if you called me Rosey, Rose or Unicorn instead of RU. Even though without chat-speak it's not confusing, it's not my favourite nickname.

Hi Rose! Thanks for clarifying that for me. You should read his Dark Materials Trilogy! I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. It's quite fascinating and the characters are unforgettable, including the entire adventure. It still has an incredible imprint on my mind.

28 Reviews

Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:55 pm
Suzuhara says...

LindseyBrooke wrote:Hello! My name's Lindsey. You can call me Linds/LB whatever you want. Anyway, welcome to the site! I'm pretty new too and I love Sci-Fi. Although, I'm not very good at writing it. I am writing one now, but it's pretty rough. =/
Well I would love to see some of your work! If you've posted anything, I would love to review it!

Welcome!
-Lindsey

Hi Lindsey! Thank you for the welcome! I'll be sure to start posting parts of my story as soon as I get some reviews done. I love your avatar by the way. Balthier is my favorite character from final fantasy 12. I'm a big final fantasy fan. :)

28 Reviews

Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:56 pm
Suzuhara says...

alwaysawriter wrote:Hi, welcome to YWS! I'm alwaysawriter but you can call me any varation of the name or Kat.

You write sci-fi? Awesome. I've never attempted it but some of the sci-fi stories I read on here a while ago were awesome; just PM me and I'll gladly review it for you. :)

What do you do in your spare time, other than write? Play sports? Volunteer? Something else? Do you have any pets or siblings?

Did you know about the usergroups? They're little club-like things that have their own forum. I'm sure you'll find one that suites your hobbies, if you decide to join one (I'm part of over fifty, last time I checked :wink: ); we have ones that have everything from cartoons to a novelist group.

The best way to meet people? Reviewing is a great way and so is joining Chat when it's opened by a mod or admin or signing random guestbooks. :)

The breakdown of the wierd colors:

The green people are the senior and junior mods. Senior mods control and look over all of the forums while junior mods can only look over specific areas. Senior mods are dark green and junior mods are light green. You can see what mods are in what group by looking at the forums and clicking on the green groups next to Moderatered By...
Greeters are the blue people. They help new members learn their way around the site and participate in the Welcome forum frequently.
Instructors are the purple people. They post writing tips, have the best reviews, may offer online classes, and may even help people improve their reviews.
The red people are the administrators. There are few of them and they can do anything on the site: lock/delete threads, etc.
Distingushed Members are the orange people that were previously part of the mod team but stepped down for whatever reason.

This (http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewarticlebody.php?t=36288) may help you futher with some of your basic questions.

A little tip:
For the codes, be sure to press the button twice; before and after the word (or words) you want to bold/italize/underline/whatever. As long as it looks like this (random example) [e]word[/e], you're good. Make sure that there's this / thing at the part I showed you, otherwise it won't work.

I hope to see you around and welcome to the family! :)

-alwaysawriter

Thank you for the welcome and the information you've provided. It's quite helpful! I hope to see you around as well. :)

1272 Reviews

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:04 pm
Rosendorn says...

You don't really have to quote everything. Just say User X- directional message.

28 Reviews

Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:13 pm
Suzuhara says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:You don't really have to quote everything. Just say User X- directional message.

I know, but I do it so often in other forums that I'm used to it. I hope it doesn't bother anyone, however. If it does, I'll stop it. :?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:27 pm
Demeter says...

Hi there Suzuhara!

Welcome to YWS, me be Demeter. You can also call me Dem, Demi, Meter, or whatever you come up with. =) Pleasure to meet you.

Well, it seems you've got yourself going on here! Hopefully you worship this place already so much you never want to leave it again :lol:

I'm not a Sci-Fi writer – it's best for this community that I stay away of Sci-Fi :D I'd just ruin it. I don't even know anything about it. But that doesn't prevent us from being friends! (I hope ;))

If you feel like you need a review, have questions or just want to talk, give me a PM and I'll be there!

Demeter xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

You don't need to follow me! You don't need to follow anybody! You got to think for yourselves!
— Brian Cohen