z

Young Writers Society

Hello!

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:05 am
LindseyBrooke says...

Hello everyone. My name's Lindsey (some people call me LB) and I'm pretty new to this site. I'm actually really glad that my friend told me about this site because I need a lot of reviews on the novel I'm writing so far. If you want to check it out it's on the Romantic Fiction forum and it's called This Year. (Sorry I don't have the link) But, my basic hobbies are writing, reading, and animation. Hopefully one of these days I can become a successful author and have a back up job of being an animation designer. I play softball and am probably the laziest person you will ever meet. Ha ha.
Well I'm basically just looking to make new friends on here who will critique my work so that I can get better as a writer.

So thanks for reading and I would love to meet some new people! :D
"Next year I'll be transferred to Pigfarts."
<3

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:10 am
Stori says...

Welcome! I'm not a big romance person (although I'm pretty good at writing it, seems like :) ) but I might look at your work. Don't forget the Two Commandments:

1. Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.
2. Thou shalt not blasphemy. Please, don't use chat language.
Last edited by Stori on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:31 am
Jiggity says...

Yes indeed! Welcome and follow those two commandments. Their quite important in the scheme of things. I don't often review Romantic Fiction; that is to say, I don't browse the forum or anything but if you need a review, feel free to PM me, even if its just to say hey or you need someone to talk to, etc, give me a buzz :D

I'm sure you'll find it easy to make friends, as everyone is very nice here,

Cheers
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:53 am
Nutty says...

Hey Linds!

First off, make sure you stick to the 2 reviews to 1 story/poem posted. This way people are more likely to review your work, and you'll score major brownie points. Woo!

Right, so here's a run down of the site.
Under the 'community' section we have:
-The information desk: keep an eye on this. The powers that be will put announcements here.
-About the Authors: where we talk about our favorite subject: ourselves :wink:
-Official Polls: well, it explains itself, doesn't it?
-Book reviews: discuss the best and worst of what you've read
-Homework help: ever wanted a study partner? here you have thousands ^^
-Research: where you ask those questions about the 1800's or whether Elvis Presley liked purple boots ><;
-Writing activites: fun and games with writing
-writer's corner: discuss your novel! ^^
-The lounge: sit back, relax, discuss anything you like.
-Randomness: where YWSers go wild! Have something completely pointless to say? Say it here.
-Will review for food: Need a crit? Ask here.

The literature forum is where you put up your work to be reviewed, read, and enjoyed ^^

Usergroups- ever wanted to join a club? You'll find one for almost anything here.

Now, the deal with the coloured names?

Light blue: Greeters. The people who hang out here and make new members feel welcome. If you have any minor questions about getting around, ask them.
Purple: Instructors. (like me!) Our job is to help you improve your writing. If you have a question about writing or need a crit, ask us.
Light green: Jr Mod. These members supervise these forums, and if you have any problems, ask them.
Dark green: Mod. The keepers of the peace. If you have any urgent problems, or come into trouble, talk to a Moderator.
Red: Admin. The lords and masters of YWS, with Nate as God :wink:

Right, that's my spiel over. Welcome to YWS. Animation? Cool! I love that stuff. Can't do it myself, but I wish I could :/
Romance? You are obviously more of a romantic soul then I. But everyone loves a little love and heartbreak every now and again. I may check it out at some point.

Anyway, don't forget the number one rule:

Have Fun!

-Nutty
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:51 pm
Demeter says...

Hello, Lindsey/LB!

Welcome to YWS! You have a pretty name. I like pretty names :D

That's cool you're working on a novel. Romance isn't my strongest genre to write, but I don't suffer from reading it, at least usually. ;) But please, do some reviews before you post your story. That way it's a lot easier to get people review your stuff, and besides, it's a rule here. I mean reviewing before posting.

Who's your favourite author? What's your favourite book? Haha, these are my favourite questions to ask a new member :D Do you write other things than your novel? I mean short stories, poetry etc.

Oooh, animation. Coolness.

If you need anything, like reviews or other help, just PM me and I'll be there!

Merry early Christmas and see you around!

Demeter xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:21 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya!

The instructors are making it rather unnessesary for anybody else to say hi with their long and detailed greets (friendly contest between the greeters and instructors) but, animation sounds way too cool!

What's your favourite style? Animated movies? Feel free to use artist speak with me, I understand most of it, having done art most of my life.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Jiggity says...

Ooh! I forgot to remark on the animation!

Do you watch anime as well? I mean, aside from having a professional interest in it and what's your favourite?

Some of my favourites are:

Death Note
Bleach
Descendants of Darkness
Shaman King

Movies:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Spirited Away
And probably my all time favourite film, regardless of genre: Howl's Moving Castle

*ia a geek*

Check out the anime usergroup. I'm sure you'll fit right in.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:29 pm
M Dragon says...

Welcome! Be active and hope you love this place!

Wow. People sure did bombard you with stuff.

Join some groups. They're pretty great.

Not into romance but may check it out.
Ello everybody!
Wazzup! Immortatily is something I shall soon achieve!

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:34 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey,

welcome to the family.

if you ever need anything, feel free to pm me.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:47 pm
Squall says...

Hey Lindsey, and welcome to YWS. Your friend must be really nice for showing you this site. There isn't much writing sites on the Internet, let along one that has great community support so you've pretty much hit the jackpot. 8) How did you became a writer anyways? To be honest, I don't know why I became a writer. I remember about two years ago, my friends were doing creative writing as a temporary hobby. I decided to join in and soon found myself being quite interested in it. I decided to search the Internet for an online community to share this interest with. Soon enough, I found YWS and became quite addicted to it. Really, I'm quite glad that I've found this site. My friends in real life do not really help me out with my writing. I try asking them for help and they'll go "oh na man, too busy", or "no thanks". But here on YWS, expect some rather brutal critiques, especially from users with purple names, since they are instructors. It's their job to give indepth critiques or else they'll get beaten up. Oh look! I'm purple too. That means I'm pretty much your humble servant. Use me well!

So you are into animation. I haven't watched enough anime to actually get into it, but I'm quite a big fan of Cardcaptor Sakura (not for the reasons that you might be thinking :wink: ) I'm curious though as to why you are interested in becoming part of the anime industry when you've grown up. Do you intend on making your novel into an anime? And what kind of anime would you be focusing on? Fantasy? Romance? When you've finished making one in the future, be sure to give me a call. I'll be sure to check it out!

Auk, softball. I remember one time when I was batting, I accidentally sent the ball flying into this girl's forehead and knocking her out. I guess it was kind of funny in a cruel sort of way. :twisted:

And ha! You think you are lazy? I can spend 10 hours plus playing an MMORPG. Can you beat that huh? I don't even have to do any chores around the house. My role in the family is pretty much eat, sleep, and sit in front of my computer all day long :D . My parents are pretty much my slaves. :twisted:

So anyways, what do you read or write about? I'm not really into romance fiction since it's pretty much the same themes/ideas a majority of the time. However, I would love to read about a friendship that turns into a romance. That would be gangster 8) But I'll be sure to check your piece out when I have time. It's 4:42 AM right now in New Zealand.

Anyways, that's all I have to say for now. Oh yeah, my name's Andy, at your service :D If you want, I can be your friend. The more friends the merrier.

I hope you will enjoy your stay on YWS and that you will grow and prosper as an author.

Good luck!

Andy

P.S: Are you into the Final Fantasy series?
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:08 pm
alwaysawriter says...

Hi Lindsey. I'm alwaysawriter but you can call me any varation of the name or my name (Kat). I'm a Purp too. :)

You write romance? That's awesome! I'm generally between that forum and the Other Fiction forum when I'm reviewing so I'll be sure to add it to my review list. :wink: Be sure to check out the two romance usergroups we have here too!

Do you like animals? Do you have any pets? I have two one year old "puppies" that are Husky-Lab mixes. They're brother and sister and their names are Blue and Bella. I have a bratty cat named Airy (short for Airborne), whose eleven. I'm a big animal person and I have this fantasy of living alone in an apartment with a cat when I grow up.

Do you have any siblings? I'm an only child, which is awesome.

Just be friendly, review, and don't take reviews too personally because we're only trying to help you.:)

A little tip that a lot of new members have trouble with:
For the codes, be sure to press the button twice; before and after the word (or words) you want to bold/italize/underline/whatever. As long as it looks like this (random example) [e]word[/e], you're good. Make sure that there's this / thing at the part I showed you, otherwise it won't work.

Oh, I completly forgot about my contest (http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic36060.html) It's a romance/other fiction contest and even though it closed a few days ago, I'm still accepting entries if you want to enter a chapter (or more) of your novel. :)

PM me for anything and welcome to the family! :)

-alwaysawriter
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:56 pm
LindseyBrooke says...

Hey guys!
Jiggity- I love your avatar! I do watch some anime, and I watch some of the ones you watch too.
Demeter- My favorite author would have to be Sarah Dessen. My favorite book? Well, I just got done reading Impossible which I absolutely loved, but my favorite book would have to be Thirteen Reasons Why.
Rosey Unicorn- I pretty much like any style. Sorry, I just started taking classes, so I'm trying to figure out what my style is. I can't really decide what my favorite animated movie is. There's a lot to choose from.
Squall- I don't really know how I became a writer. I remember when I was little and I used to look at my sister's handwriting and wanted to write like her. Ever since then, I love to write and then I started to create worlds. In second grade I won the Young Author's Contest and then writing just grew on me. =] I want to try to make my story into anime, but that could take a while. I'd mainly focus on making romance anime if anything. I'm a sap for romance .=] Haha, I love the story about softball. If I were there, I would probably start laughing and then rush over to help the poor girl. I read almost anything. I love fantasy though. I'm trying to write a fantasy story but it's difficult. Haha. And yes! I love the Final Fantasy series =] Everyone thinks I'm a freak, but I can spend hours just playing that game.
alwaysawriter- I have to Golden Retrievers named Spencer and Fat Dog. (Yes, that is his real name. Haha) I have an older sister who pretty much hates me, but she doesn't bother me that much.

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me! I really appreciate it! And for all of you who care about my animation, I'm more interested in working/creating characters like Shrek or The Incredibles. Haha. Thanks again for greeting me! =]
"Next year I'll be transferred to Pigfarts."
<3

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:37 pm
Nutty says...

Final Fantasy! Woot!

I just had to add that.
Hehe.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:28 pm
Merry_Haven says...

*Lindsey

Huh? Where's Baltheir? *looks around*

Okay, long story short. He is just SEXY!!! My younger sisters play Final Fantasy 12 (right? or is it XII?) and I always see that guy. Oh, my mom thinks I'm crazy because I like some character in a video game. :roll:

Um, I am way off topic here.

Hey and Welcome!

Happy Holidays!

*Merry

Merry Christmas!
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

183 Reviews

Reviews: 183
Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:45 pm
LoveableLittleSock says...

Hey Lindsey! Welcome to YWS! You seem like you'll be a fabulous contribution to this site - we're really glad to have you here!

A sap for romance, eh? Looks like you came to the right place. The majority of works here at YWS does happen to be romance, so whether you're posting or critiquing, you'll be of help to the website's community. If you do happen to be active the romance forum, you may like to write some tips for beginning authors in the writing tips forum.

I see you've already posted a bunch, but let me just get into the points system. You see Nate, the site creator, has this 2-for-one rule, where you have to review twice before you can post anything. This prevents people from just posting and posting and posting stories and poems and whatnot without writing a word of feedback for their fellow authors. See, when you review, the highest amount of points you can get is 50, as the number of points is determined by how many characters are in your review. As when you post a piece of work, it'll run you 100 points. You can also retrieve points by posting in a whole other mess of forums, like the "will review for food," "writing tips," "research," and so on. It's pretty much all the forums that go to helping others.

I'm a former anime fan, and although I'm dying to play games like Final Fantasy, regretfully I know nothing about it. Are you interested in watching animation or creating animation? That would be an interesting forum actually, if people posting their project links and had people review it. Maybe somebody should mention it to Nate. And I'm sure your sister doesn't hate you; my brothers can be incredible brats, but I know that I'm too awesome for them not to love me =]

If you want some more in-depth feedback on your novel, you can always post in the Advanced Critique's forum. If you have a story more than 5000 words, you can post there and people can download the document. Of course, you need 500 points, because people shouldn't be able to post there right as there right as they enter YWS. It's not that costly, seeing how you start out with 300 (or is it 350?). I'm sure people will be glad to review it, but posting in chapters is great as well. That was it'll be easier to see what's wrong and what's right with each individual piece, making your story great altogether.

It's been nice meeting you, Lindsey! If you have any questions, concerns or cries of outrage, feel free to PM me!
~*Sara*~
Got YWS?

The adjective should reinvent the noun.
— Leslie Norris