z

Young Writers Society

Here to Say Hi

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:04 am
EmmVeePi says...

I am Matthew Von Prince, dropping by to say hello to my fellow young writers and hopefully get some stuff up here real quick.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:37 am
Nutty says...

Hey! Welcome to YWS. I'm sure you'll love it here- I do.
You want to get stuff up quick? One tip- do 2 reviews for every story, poem, script or any other piece of work you post. It means more people are willing to critique you, and you will score major brownie points for following the rules ^^
A quick rundown on the site- Under 'community'.
The information desk is for all announcements, make sure you keep an eye on it for any important news.
The lounge is where you can relax, chill, and talk.
Will review for food is a subforum under the lounge where you can request people to crit your work. Just remember to ask nicely ^^
Randomness is where writers go nuts! If you have something irrelevant, weird or just plain random you want to say, post here.

The literary forum is where you post your work for reviews.
The Storybooks are fun- this is where one person sets up a story, and lets others write it. It's kind of like RPGs.

Groups- there's a group for a lot of things on here. Check them out for yourself. :wink:

And, why some of us have coloured names?
Blue- greeter. The people who have the job of hanging out here and welcome people. If you have any minor questions about getting around the site, talk to them.
Purple- (like me!) Instructor. We are here to help you improve your writing; if you need a good-quality crit or have a question about writing itself, ask a member with a purple name.
Light green- Jr Mod. These people are in charge of a forum each. If you have any problems, go to them first, (unless it's really big).
Dark green- Moderator. Keepers of the peace. If you have any major problems, go to them.
Red- Admin. The lords and masters of the site, with Nate as god :wink:

Anyway, tell us about yourself. What genre do you write? What are your interests?

Most of all, have fun, kick back, and relax ^^

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help.

-Nutty
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:28 pm
Rosendorn says...

Since Nutty has gone, well, nuts letting you know about the place, I'm just dropping by to say hi and welcome!

Remember to use proper grammar, caps and spelling and nobody will bite. Well, some people might, but not hard.

Any favourite genres? Authors? Books?

If you need anything, PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:02 pm
sofi says...

Hello!

Well Nutty seems to have given you a pretty thorough introduction to the site :D so I'm just here to say welcome and feel free to PM me with any questions or if you want any reviews.

Have you been writing for a while or just since recently? Either way this place is really great :D

Hope to see you around!

Sofi.
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:04 pm
Night Mistress says...

Nutty has explain everything so i have nothing to say other than Welcome to the family.

if you need anything, feel free to pm me.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

44 Reviews

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:46 pm
EmmVeePi says...

Well, Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been writing for years(I guess people definition of "years" varies so I would say 8 to 10), it has been mostly plugging away at pet novels and assignments previously but just more recently I have really started to focus on the short story genre.

I have one piece published. I wish not to post it on here as I broke one of the most important rules of writing, I wrote what I did not believe in. So anyways it was kinda that that inspired me to maybe pursue this writing thing a little further. For now I am not worried about getting published just writing, writing, writing. Working hard on my craft.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:07 pm
Fishr says...

Ah. Short stories are indeed an addiction. I would call them as "air," because without air, one cannot breathe life into, well, things? XD Short stories have always served as a platform for a large or more concise project, at least for me personally.

It seems though when I try to write novels, they go astray but when I write short stories, I've had a few members on YWS wanting me to presue further. This of course left me scratching my head. What I thought was finished, clearly was not. YWS is great for that type of senario. The many diverse opinions and mindsets on this outstanding site will not only keep your mind challenged but for sure, you'll have more fun than you know what to do with yourself!

So what genre of writing do you particapate in? I mostly write historical fiction. I'm a bit of a geek, hehe.

Hope you enjoy your stay here. Have a good one.

Hu-zzah!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:16 pm
View Likes
Incognito says...

Writing certainly is a enjoyable thing. I always right non-stop but a lot of the times, I never really do anything with them. What kind of genres do you write because I might be interested in reading a couple of your stories.

Welcome to YWS, and I hope you enjoy your stay here. It is a blast, well at least for most of us.
~Incognito Temptation
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

44 Reviews

Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:54 pm
EmmVeePi says...

Genres? I think it would be officially classified simply as general fiction. I have dabbled in sci-fi and adventure. Most recently I am kinda on a theme you could say as most my pieces are brutal and undisguised assaults on the state of humanity(And by that I don't mean people but the way in which people treat one another).

183 Reviews

Reviews: 183
Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:54 pm
LoveableLittleSock says...

Since when is writing somebody you don't believe in bad? And congratulations on getting published - I can't wait to read some of your work. Of course, remember that you have to review and help other writers from time to time. Let me elaborate:

You see, the creator of this site (his name is Nate) has a fabulous rule that's basically, "review twice, post once." This means that you have to have at least two reviews before posting a story so we won't have a bunch of writers who contribute absolutely nothing to the YWS community.

You seem like the kind of person that would want to post in the Advanced Critique forum. You see, that's where you post a story of yours, 5000 words or more, that people read over and critique. Obviously when you normally post, you do so in chapters if the overall piece is long, so if you want people to read the whole thing at once, I would recommend posting there. Of course, you need 500 points to post there, and I shall explain the points system next.

It's fairly simple, really. When you review, the highest amount of points you can get is 50, as the number depends on the quantity you write. When you post a piece of work, like a short story or a poem, it'll run you 100 points (although feel free to edit your post as many times as you want). You can also retrieve points by posting in forums like the Welcome forum (this one), the writing tips forum and so on. Basically, you get points when you help your fellow writers.

And that's all I have to say at the moment. If you have any questions, concerns or cries of outrage, feel free to PM me.

~*Sara*~
Got YWS?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:08 am
Inksplatter says...

Welcome to the Young Writers Society.
I hope you are enjoying yourself in this wonderful establishment, and I am sure everyone else is too! :)
I would gladly critique your writing, just give me a link and I'll head off to do my 'thang' :p
Just keep in mind the 2:1 ratio. It means you have to post 2 reviews before posting your work.
Hope to see you 'round,
Inksplatter

more fish is always superior to less fish
— Shady