z

Young Writers Society

Introducing myself

Reviews: 0
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am
rld77 says...

Hi everyone. Figured I'd introduce myself as I am new to the forums. My name is Becky and I hope to meet some new people here, and maybe give/get some advice. See you around!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:29 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya!

A couple of rules you should know:

YWS has a 2:1 review ratio. For every piece you put up, you should review two works from somebody else. It gives everybody the opertunity to be reviewed.

Mimimize the chat-speak. You can use some abbreviations, but you'll want to have proper grammar, spelling and capitalization in your posts.

Other then that, it's pretty much free-range. You'll find that most of us are a weird and wacky bunch. The chance you won't find somebody who shares your interest is s-l-i-m.

What do you like to write? And favourite books/genres? Music?

Personally I'm a fantasy/history girl.

Welcome to YWS!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:29 am
KailaMarie says...

Hey! Welcom to YWS!

:smt026 :elephant: :smt006 :smt026 :elephant: :smt006 :smt026 :elephant: :smt006 :smt026 :elephant: :smt006 :smt026 :elephant: :smt006 :smt026 :elephant: :smt006

...Yeah, so basically, there are a few rules, but the two biggest would be just that you have to review two things of someone else's before you post something of your own, and not to write in chatspeak. Even in the forums, it's very frowned upon. (You can say lol, though. I asked. :D )

Hope to see you around!
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:43 am
Night Mistress says...

hey.

welcome to the family.

if you need anything, feel free to pm me.

P.S.: rosey is right. we are a wacky and weird bunch.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:47 am
anti-pop says...

Hi rld! :D

Welcome to YWS! You will definitely get plenty of opportunities to give out advice and pointers here, as well as get great reviews and tips for your own material as well.
Everyone's nice and really helpful; you'll definitely meet some good people here! ;)

Have fun!

*anti-pop
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:09 am
Sachiko says...

Hi, Becky! I'm Sachiko, and I thought I'd pop in and say...

Welcome to The Young Writer's Society!

Since Rosey already explained the 2:1 ration rule, and the chatspeak thing, I won't bother repeating them. ^^

What type of writing do you like to do? Any favorite genres? What's your favorite color?

If you have any questions whatsoever, you can either PM me, and I'll do my very best to answer them, or you can PM a mod or junior mod, whose names are in dark green and light green respectively. ^_^

I hope you enjoy yourself here, and I hope to see you around the forums!

Sachiko
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:09 pm
Kaylyn says...

*Waves frantically*

Hey, hey you! Welcome to YWS! :)

Yes, no chat speak is allowed, even when you are in the chat room here. Don't ask me why. :)

However if you have any other questions, let me know. I'll do my best to answer them. Well, I guess I'll make this post short but sweet. Wouldn't want you to sit here reading for an hour. :)

Well, see you around the forums.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

Reviews: 1
Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:10 pm
breenuttxo says...

Hey welcome to the YWS familia :) This is a pretty cool place to be and were all pretty cool people. If you ever need any help im still kind of new as well so I can try to help you as well as I can :)
Welcome and have fun with it :)
"Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience."
Victoria Holt

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:46 pm
JabberHut says...

Yes, no chat speak is allowed, even when you are in the chat room here. Don't ask me why. :)

You can ask me, though! :D

Hi, I'm Jabber, and welcome to YWS! *throws arms in the air* *intense echo* *very intense*

You can call me what you would ever desire. I'm pretty good about it. I have a gazillion nicknames, so a new one would be pretty sweet. I could add it to my ongoing list! xD

Anyway, chatspeak is disallowed because all of us are writers, and YWS encourages good grammar/spelling. Posting in chatspeak helps to exercise such grammar/spelling, and chatspeak does nothing but blind U LYK DIS YA C???? So, no chatspeak, including all caps and excessive punctuation as I've shown in my example there. ^^ By your first post here though, you're probably in good shape and won't have to worry about it. :D

So... I guess I'll give you the mini YWS tour! =D

*groans from the audience*

*whispers* They've probably already heard it before, but that's okay. ^.^

Now, YWS will be like a second home to you. You have:

Entrance Hall: Here is where you say hi to new members (such as yourself) in the Welcome Forum. There's also the front desk (Information Desk) where are fantastic Administrator, Nate, will post us important info concerning the site. Keep your eyes open. :wink: And there's also the bulletin board which contains the Rules and Guidelines, so if you haven't read those, best get on that. =D

Bedroom: Your Profile/My YWS is like your bedroom. It has all your personal information, your pictures (like avatar xD), your diary (Blog), your portfolio, your friends, and all that jazz. Have fun here. You'll see it a lot. ^^

Main Level: Here is the Lounge where we like to how we say "hang out." There's also the play room (Randomness/Word Play) where we like to be all crazy as we are and have fun with these so-called words we have to write with (wtcaboodle, right? :roll:). You may find yourself with certain friends, which means you may join a clique or two. Usergroups are groups you can join to chat with friends with the same interests as yourself inside and outside of the writing world. Check it out and join a few! Cliques really aren't that bad here. In fact, they're highly encouraged. =D

The Office: No, not the film. This is where you post your work. The literary forums welcome all sorts of writing (i.e., prose/fiction, poetry, plays, etc.), and you will get reviews from other members on your work. If you wish to request critiques that will guarantee an in-depth critique or just a review in general, go to the kitchen! Will Review For Food is where you can request critiques from other people. I suggest the purple people. They're Instructors, and they specialize in in-depth critiques that are always majorly helpful. Though any of those people there are willing to critique. :D

I'll wrap it up there. If you have any questions, you can ask me, of course. ^^ Greeters (light blue names) are kind of like your personal mentors, so if you have any issues with directing yourself around the site, feel free to ask them as well as anyone else, naturally. Moderators (dark green) and Junior Moderators (light green) are also very helpful and not as scary as they look. I promise. :wink:

And, just so you know, the orange people are Distinguished Members. That just means they've been on this site a while and they've been very helpful. ^^

Have fun, and I'll totally see you around!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

if ya mention chickens, i have to show up, that is the law.
— alliyah