z

Young Writers Society

Another "New Member" thread; Yay?

Reviews: 2
Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:33 am
Mikkah says...

Yeah, so I'm new. Me & my friend discovered this today and got pretty excited. We're both doing NaNoWriMo and so when we found this site we were very happy. :)

So anyways, I'm Mikkah, also known as Rebecca or various other usernames on various other sites.

I'm not entirely sure what I should be putting here - I'm just really amused by this site and hope I can have a bit of fun here like everyone else. =)

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:39 am
Bleeding Rose says...

Hi Mikkah!

I am Whispering Rain and I am very happy to welcome you to our big, cuddly family!

Welcome to YWS! Okay first off, we have a 2:1 policy. This means that you must review
two other writings in order for you to post one of your own. This helps us balance.

All of the other rules are under Help and Support. If you have any questions just PM me
and I will be honored to answer them!

Sincerely,

Whispering Rain
Rite 2 meh lyk dis...and I shoot you.~Unknown
I'm the future of America. Be afraid. Be very afraid~Unknown
If you're blonde and you know it clap your hands *Snap* *snap*
If you're reading this...you're finished reading.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:57 am
Princess says...

Hey Mikkah! Welcome to the YWS family!

So what are your favorite things to write? Personally, I am a huge sucker for poetry, and I love to write it.. I'm not much good at writing anything else though..

What about favorite book series? I love Agatha Christie and Jane Austin... Those two are geniuses!!!

On YWS, we all share a common pet peeve.. It is when members use chat talk.. You know, like lol, ttyl, rofl, brb, and omg.. We are a sophisticated writing site, and we will use good grammar in our posts, although, the occasional 'lol' doesn't do any harm :D

I can't wait to see more posts from you, and pm me if you want me to review any of your work! I would be happy to oblige! :D :lol:
I came into this world wrinkled and ugly. And no matter how much I accumulate here, it's a short journey. I will go out of this world wrinkled and ugly. So I enjoy life.

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:04 am
Mikkah says...

Thanks for the welcome. =) I'll keep to the 2:1 ratio, don't worry. [I've seen it mentioned in other threads while browsing around already].

I'm not much of a fan of poetry myself, but I'm trying to get better at it in general. I prefer short stories, I find them much easier to write.

I find chat talk quite annoying myself, so I'll be avoiding using it. Good grammar, most definitely. (On a site with writers, I wouldn't really expect anything else.)

Thanks for the offer of a review, Emma, much appreciated. Now I've got to get around to writing something worth reviewing and reviewing other stuff. :3

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:03 am
View Likes
Inksplatter says...

Welcome Mikkah!
I'm fairly fresh off the rack too.
Tell us about yourself! What do you like writing? I most definately enjoy historical/fantasy/fiction.
I'd be up to the challenge of reading & reviewing a manuscript of yours.
If you need anything, look no further than me. As mentioned, I'm a cheerful person and don't mind being asked to do things that are possible :)
I like the way you write and receive compliments, it's very 'grande' :P
Hopefuly see you around the forum!
-Inksplatter-

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:45 pm
Kaylyn says...

Welcome aboard the insane site *coughs* I mean YWS! :)
Glad to see that you have checked out the site and found it to your taste.
I know that it improved my writing, and even got me into poetry. You can the difference between the poetry I first wrote and the ones now.
I also love writing short stories.
Just check out the rules and you'll be doing great.
If you have any questions or want a review, PM me.
Good luck with Nano.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:54 pm
Demeter says...

Hi, Mikkah/Rebecca!

Welcome to YWS! Nice to meet you, I'm Demeter. :) Isn't YWS just great? There's, however, a danger to become addicted, so I suggest you... come to YWS every day and spend all your free time here! Yay! Let's get addicted!

I mean you. I already am. :lol:

Well, I hope you enjoy your time here. You can PM me anytime you want a review or have a question or just want to talk. I'm always here. See? That's called addiction. Haha. Almost always, let's say. When I'm not sleeping. [/ramble]

See you around!

Demeter xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:02 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya!

I'm really getting amazed by just how many people join every day. I just joined two days ago and already I'm in love with the place!

If you have a fantasy of some sort you want reviewed I'd be happy to, or historical fiction. My referance library is pretty big so fact-finding is not a problem for me. One of my pet peeves is when the history or science is wrong. I still use the Internet to look up stuff (school, mostly), but there's something about books..... reading them, writing them, that intoxicates me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:29 pm
Mikkah says...

Thank you all for the warm welcome. =)

I like writing fantasy or fiction, mostly, although I wouldn't mind expanding to a few other genres - most of my writing ends up seeming the same to me, so I'm going to try writing a few different things. (My friend complains that all my main characters act the same. ><)

Don't worry; I'm sure I'll get addicted soon enough. I'm already sneaking onto it during school, so I think I might be on the right track. ; )

Nice to meet you all; it's great that the people here are so nice. =) I hope I'll see a few of you around.

1272 Reviews

Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:47 pm
Rosendorn says...

Ouch. Yeah, I have the same problem with guy characters. At the start they usually have the same trait- Perfect. Hence my "Realistic Guys" thread.

I've seen a book that might come in handy. It's called 45 Master Characters. I haven't picked it up, but it looks good.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:57 pm
Demeter says...

Haha; you're definitely on the right track!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:00 pm
View Likes
Mikkah says...

I'll have to have a look out for that book then: it's becoming difficult not to create Adrian-esque male characters. -______-;

1272 Reviews

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:55 pm
Rosendorn says...

It can be Really hard to find. I've only seen it once or twice in the three years I've been looking at writing books.

If I get any Chapters gift cards for Christmas (and the likely hood is high) then I might buy it. But I have a three volume collection of fantasy references in mind right now.

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson