Young Writers Society

Yo, yo, yo!

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:10 pm
Sheik says...

Yo!

I'm Sheik and I'm new! 8) I'm very excited to be a member of this forum! :P

Let's see, I've been writing since I was 12. I write in notebooks first and then copy the stories into the computer. I don't know why, but when I use pen and paper, my thoughts flow better. I love it. I don't think there's anything I enjoy more than writing. I'm told I'm pretty good, but I also tend to criticize my own work a lot, so I'm not sure how true that is. :roll:

Anywho, I don't really have a favorite type of book genre. I'd say FGantasy, but my mom doesn't let me read it, so, I guess I don't know. I'm a HUGE LOTR fan, Narnia fan, George McDonald fan, and, of course, Sherlock Holmes fan. I've read all the mysteries written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle twice over. :D I love reading rich, enjoyable works by various authors. I like Victor Hugo's stuff a lot and I don't really like romance. But that's unavoidable in some cases. Another favorite book is 'Moccasin Trail'. Read it. It's good. :lol:

Hm, other things. . . . .I write mostly fantasy and am currently working on over 14 novels. I want to become a researching biotechnologist when I am older. Random, I know, but I LOVE biotechnology! :)

My favorite band is Switchfoot, but I also like Evanescence, Linkin Park, Nickelback, and dc Talk.

My favorite bible verse is Nehemiah 9:31 "But in your great mercy you did not abandon them or put an end to them, for you are a gracious and merciful god."

I'm a Bleach fan, Final Fantasy fan, Legend of Zelda fan, Full Metal Alchemist fan, and I'm super excited about "The Last Remnant."

I'm really ticked off at my body right now, because, well, I stayed up really late (12:00-1:00 in the morning) all last week writing. I, uh, "severely sprained" my wrist and now I'm not allowed to write for 4 weeks. . . . . . :? I'm not even supposed to be typing. . . .makes me mad. . . . I was on a writing spree too. :evil:

*reads long post* Teh, I guess you could say I was trying to cover everything in one post. :P Don't let my babbling scare you. :D

Anyway, I guess that's all!

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:30 pm
Merry_Haven says...

Sheik-
First off, your name...is that from Legend of Zelda? I'm just curious, because my younger sister's play those series/games. And I know I heard that name some where. :?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hi. Welcome to the family of YWS. I hope you find this site very welcoming and just have a wonderful time! Remember the rules. One of the major ones are the review/posting rule. It's 2 reviews as to 1 post. 2:1 ratio. It's pretty simple to follow that one, but just make sure you keep to it. :wink: You can also check the help and support tab up at the top. With staff to contact, rules to follow, FAQ, and much more. If you have any more questions, you can always pm me.

For me, I haven't been writing that long. It'll be a year this January. I can't write with paper and pen, I feel like nothing will come out in the end. But I'm amazed you've been writing for so many years! How do you do it? Well, if I had a tape recorder it will definitely be easier for me. :lol:

I'm just curious...who's George McDonald? Is he a mystery author? I just got into writing my own mysteries. (For NaNo). Oh my goodness, I love LOTR! I'm not a huge fan, but I do enjoy them.

14 novels? Jessh. I can't even do that. I only write novellas. :wink:

YEAH!!! We're Switchfoot, Evanescence, and Linkin Park fans!!! I've never really saw them live, have you? I would love to see Switchfoot live. They came up here in the North West with Relient K last year.

That's funny. 'Cause that's all my sisters play. Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, and FMA. I have to ask...have you've seen Advent Children? Oh, and I'll ask them what's The Last Remnant.

Well, I seem to write too much. It's great to know a little about you. Off I go...

-Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:10 pm
Blink says...

Heya, man!

My name's Blink (well no, not really) but you can call me Mark if it makes you feel better. So, Lord of the Rings? Me too, actually. I just love Tolkien and generally all the greats, but one thing you mustn't do is mention the word 'Eragon' to me within a proximity of about 200 miles.

But hey, 14 novels? I'm not sure how that could work, but good luck with that :wink: I'm into non-cliché fantasy and my favourite author... probably Tolkien and George Orwell, my favourite novel being the Book Thief.

Anyhow, enough of me! What is FGantasy? Or was that a typo for Fantasy? Anyhow, why aren't you allowed to read it? *nosey*

Onto the website... well, we're all very friendly and will answer any questions you might have, happily. Remember to keep the review:submission ratio at at least 2:1, but I'd recommend it a bit higher to get those first ones. =P There's also a Help & Support wiki, which you can access from the right of the nav. bar (under Help & Support!).

Nice to meet you, and see you about!

-Blink
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

19 Reviews

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:45 pm
Sheik says...

Merry_Haven wrote:Sheik-
First off, your name...is that from Legend of Zelda? I'm just curious, because my younger sister's play those series/games. And I know I heard that name some where. :?

Yurp! One of my favorite characters of all time is Sheik! :P

Merry_Haven wrote:For me, I haven't been writing that long. It'll be a year this January. I can't write with paper and pen, I feel like nothing will come out in the end. But I'm amazed you've been writing for so many years! How do you do it? Well, if I had a tape recorder it will definitely be easier for me. :lol:

*shrugs* I don't know. It just comes naturally. And I love writing. You could say it's a passion. I can never seem to write enough, ya know? 8)

Merry_Haven wrote:I'm just curious...who's George McDonald? Is he a mystery author? I just got into writing my own mysteries. (For NaNo). Oh my goodness, I love LOTR! I'm not a huge fan, but I do enjoy them.

George McDonald was a HUGE influence on Tolkien and Lewis. They were both big fans. He wrote fantasy and actually is the author of "At the Back of the North Wind". He is brilliant and highly recommended.

Merry_Haven wrote:YEAH!!! We're Switchfoot, Evanescence, and Linkin Park fans!!! I've never really saw them live, have you? I would love to see Switchfoot live. They came up here in the North West with Relient K last year.

YAY!!!!!! I TOTALLY HAVE!!! I SAW SF IN OMAHA AND JON FOREMAN GOT INTO THE AUDIENCE AND SANG NEXT TO ME!!! ECK! Ahem. . . . .sorry, that memory always gets me really hyper. :D

Merry_Haven wrote:That's funny. 'Cause that's all my sisters play. Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, and FMA. I have to ask...have you've seen Advent Children? Oh, and I'll ask them what's The Last Remnant.

YES! I love AC! :lol: I've seen it so many times, I can practically recite the dialogue from beginning to end! I've also seen the fight scenes slowed down by half on multiple occasions. I don't play FMA, just watch. :P I don't know if they've heard of "The Last Remnant", but it's supposed to be coming out soon. . . . .I forget the date. :D

Merry_Haven wrote:Well, I seem to write too much.

What?! I believe that there is no such thing. :lol:

@Blink:
I haven't read "Eragon", but I've heard enough about it to make me want to leave the country. :P

I've only finished 1 of the 14, but I'm very close to finishing a few others. :D They'd take too long to explain.

Ah! Typo! Sorry, those things drive me crazy. :lol: Ya got me.

I don't why my mom doesn't like fantasy, she just doesn't. :D

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:30 pm
Stori says...

We must be cousins. I like Zelda, FF and Fullmetal Alchemist too! :)

Anyway, you should check out the Christian Writers group. (Go to the top of the page and click on "Groups.")

Oh, by the way. Which games specifically do you like? I'm fond of Crystal Chronicles and Tactics myself.

19 Reviews

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:35 pm
Sheik says...

Kyte wrote:We must be cousins. I like Zelda, FF and Fullmetal Alchemist too! :)

Anyway, you should check out the Christian Writers group. (Go to the top of the page and click on "Groups.")

Oh, by the way. Which games specifically do you like? I'm fond of Crystal Chronicles and Tactics myself.

Heh. We might be. I must say, though, I prefer Bleach over FMA! :O Horrifying I know. :P

How sad, it won't let me in. :( So sad for me. . . . . :(

I like VII, XII, and FF VII-Crisis Core. I've heard Tactics Advance is really good, but I haven't taken a look at it yet. I believe my fav is FF VII-Crisis Core. Awesome game. You should check it out. Genesis is the most creepy bad guy one could ask for. :P

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:45 pm
Demeter says...

Welcome, Sheik!

Your name made me think of my friend who moved to UAE in the spring. Random, I know.

It's been such a joy to read these three posts you've written. I have a feeling that you're going to fit in perfectly. I can't wait to read some of your work! 14 novels sounds amazing. I've also written for a long time, I started when I was about nine, I think, but still all I've managed to do is two sweaty novels. We don't want to talk about them.

Go Narnia! I like it, too. What's your fave book of the seven?

Anyways. If you have any concerns about the site or anything, I'd be more than glad to help you out. :) Just PM me.

Demeter xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

19 Reviews

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:17 pm
Sheik says...

Demeter wrote:It's been such a joy to read these three posts you've written. I have a feeling that you're going to fit in perfectly. I can't wait to read some of your work! 14 novels sounds amazing. I've also written for a long time, I started when I was about nine, I think, but still all I've managed to do is two sweaty novels. We don't want to talk about them.

Thanks on all counts, Demeter! :lol: Why not talk about them? :P Heck, I think it's always good to discuss your works whether you believe it stinks or not. :D It's amazing that you've been writing that long, BTW, I'm impressed! :lol: I tried a few times in my younger years, and well. . . . . .it stunk. :P

Demeter wrote:Go Narnia! I like it, too. What's your fave book of the seven?

"Magician's Nephew"! Certainly my favorite. I love Narnia. . . . . :smt055

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:43 pm
Adnamarine says...

You severely sprained you wrist from WRITING? You are my hero.

I can already tell you are gonna be a brilliant addition to the site. I mean, this is only your first day, and look at you! Posting like crazy. :)

Narnia and Tolkian. If I get a person to read two books, those would be the ones I would name. Or... series'. Because they're not necessarily my favorite books in the whole wide world, or the very best books in the whole wide world, but they have such a general appeal, and they so... just brilliant. If I had to give anybody the credit for founding the fantasy genre, I'd give it to those two. There was fantasy before they came along, but it was not nearly as popular. Those men were geniuses.

Do I have permission to come rant to you about Obama once in a while? My family can only take so much of it. :P And you're certainly free to do the same if you wish. :D

I wish I'd discovered writing as young as you did, or even younger. Trouble is, I tried starting novels a couple times, because my sister writes. She's been writing as long as I can remember and novels are her thing. But apparently they're not mine. But fortunately a couple years ago I discovered poetry. Up to that time I thought I hated poetry. Dunno why, since I never read it. Now I can hardly get through a day without writing one.

And if there's one thing I know for certain, it's that I've come along way, and I couldn't have without this place. Now, I'm not gonna say I know how good I am, but I know without a doubt that I am much better than when I started here. I really shudder to think of my first poem... *looks at Incandescence and blushes* yeah, my first harsh review from him, and it was amazing. You are really gonna grow as a writer here, that I can promise.

btw, I would be thrilled to review something of yours if you wanted, so don't hesitate to ask. :)

And, you are very welcome to yws.

-Adna
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

19 Reviews

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:56 pm
Sheik says...

Adnamarine wrote:You severely sprained you wrist from WRITING? You are my hero.

Really ticks me off, but, yes, I did. Thank you, at least someone is happy about it. :lol:

Adnamarine wrote:I can already tell you are gonna be a brilliant addition to the site. I mean, this is only your first day, and look at you! Posting like crazy. :)

Thanks! Everyone keeps saying that! Thanks everyone! *hug* :lol:

Adnamarine wrote:Narnia and Tolkian. If I get a person to read two books, those would be the ones I would name. Or... series'. Because they're not necessarily my favorite books in the whole wide world, or the very best books in the whole wide world, but they have such a general appeal, and they so... just brilliant. If I had to give anybody the credit for founding the fantasy genre, I'd give it to those two. There was fantasy before they came along, but it was not nearly as popular. Those men were geniuses.

Tell me about it. I love 'em. I really wish I could write like them, but, of course, that's just wishful thinking. :P

Adnamarine wrote:Do I have permission to come rant to you about Obama once in a while? My family can only take so much of it. :P And you're certainly free to do the same if you wish. :D

What? You mean there's someone out there who doesn't like him just like me?! Whoa! :wink: Eh, sure, I don't care. I don't like politics in general and ranting about them could be fun.

Adnamarine wrote:I wish I'd discovered writing as young as you did, or even younger. Trouble is, I tried starting novels a couple times, because my sister writes. She's been writing as long as I can remember and novels are her thing. But apparently they're not mine. But fortunately a couple years ago I discovered poetry. Up to that time I thought I hated poetry. Dunno why, since I never read it. Now I can hardly get through a day without writing one.

My older sister used to write a lot and she was amazing. Unfortunately, she's stopped and it's sad. :( I keep nagging her to start writing again. :D

Adnamarine wrote:And if there's one thing I know for certain, it's that I've come along way, and I couldn't have without this place. Now, I'm not gonna say I know how good I am, but I know without a doubt that I am much better than when I started here. I really shudder to think of my first poem... *looks at Incandescence and blushes* yeah, my first harsh review from him, and it was amazing. You are really gonna grow as a writer here, that I can promise.

AWESOME! That's why I'm here! I love developing my writing skills and helping out others with theirs! :)

Adnamarine wrote:btw, I would be thrilled to review something of yours if you wanted, so don't hesitate to ask. :)

Maybe I should get something up. . . . .yeah, I should go do that. :P

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! They give me warm fuzzy feelings. :lol:

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:34 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey,

Welcome to the family.

First of all the main rule here is to post 2 reviews before you post 1 of your work and to maintain that ration.

and for the other rules, you can look them up under the Help and Suppot Wiki at the Top on the right corner.

so, tell us about yourself. what type of book do you like? What genre do you like? etc.

Me, I like Romance and I write romance fiction.

well, see ya around. if you need something, give me a holla
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

u can't have villains exist just 2 b villains
— ShadowVyper