z

Young Writers Society

Well, Hi there

Reviews: 2
Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:32 am
Steamrollers Solve All says...

My name here is Steamrollers Solve All, a homage towards JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

I really like a lot of manga and anime by Go Nagai, especially Mazinkaiser and Shin Getter Robo. I'm also a follower of older Super/Real Robot series and am currently finally getting into Gundam.

Anyways, after reading Sailor Nothing, I decided I wanted to write my own, darker-than-usual take on the genre. The result was Matei Mizuki, a story which I originally just wrote as part of a (failed) competition I tried to create on another forum.

That being said, what originally just began as a story where the heroine was bitter, disgustingly plain, and overall just an aversion of the bright and sparkling heroines in the mold of Sailor Moon grew and grew. Long after the other two applicants gave up, I continued simply because I wanted to. The theme of the story; that Destiny is a prison that strips us of free will, greatly appealed to me and I decided to work on a trilogy.

To help lead into the second of the three stories, I also wrote a two-shot side-story focusing on Matei Mizuki's sole male character relevant to the plot, as well as make a few one-shots to clear some questions up, ranging from being goofy slice-of-life tales to very depressing pieces to show just how horrible the villain from Mizuki was.

I am currently working on the direct sequel to Matei Mizuki, Ai no Saori. I want it to be good; many problems with sequels come from just going through the same motions again... something I am desperate to avert. The cast is almost entirely new as well, as was my intention.

What I am asking for is this; people genuinely willing to take a look at my works -especially Saori since I've only just started- and let me know what works and what doesn't. I want to be a good writer, better than I am now. I have tried time and time again on other websites to find people willing to voice their opinion on it. I may get a very small vocal minority (read: at best three people) giving me reviews, but that's about it.

Does this make me an attention whore? Hopefully not. I just want to become better.

So those of you that are interested, please speak out. I'd rather not waste my time here.

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:44 am
Angel of Death says...

Welcome to YWS, Steam!

I'm Angel and from now on Steam is your nickname because
1. Your username is a mouthful er...handful
2. Everyone here has a nickname, and if it were up to me it would be a law
3. This About the Author surely did pack some steam because your engine was rolling when you typed this. Much longer than mine, I can tell you but that is not a bad thing.

You'll enjoy it here, and I guarantee that. I've been on here for nearly over a year and the people here are very helpful and friendly. I've made a lot of friends and learned how to become a better writer. I used to write only poems but over time I gradually learned how to write better and better. Everyone who is a writer is already good, they just need a little helping hand to be great and that's what this community is all about so I hope you don't abandon us anytime soon. If you didn't know, November 14th is YWS's fourth birthday and they're holding a lot of events that you might want to check out in the Lounge. Since it's our first it'll be spectacular.

Well anyways, your story sounds cool. I've only read two manga novels that I enjoyed but I never continued the series because of school and homework and stuff...but I loved Sailor Moon! And I wish it still came on but...

I don't want to make this some long post but if you haven't found it out already, I love to talk and I will talk your head off. If you ever want to rant or just say anything I'm the person you'd want to talk to, because I just love that little orange box that appears when I get messages. Okay enough enough I swear!

If you want any help at all, just post in the forums and wait or if you're really patient and can understand that I'm doing National Novel Writing Month and only have X amount of time to spare, you can just ask me to read over your work and give you thoughts and opinions. I'm not good at grammar nor do I enjoy watching out for it, so if you're a bad speller or something, I probably won't notice unless its like obviously.

All in all,

Today you are christened Steam and if you leave the next day I will really be upset because YWS is an awesome site and we all will appreciate the new member to our community.

Ta for now,

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:55 am

*resolves to wear the nickname as a badge*

I've gotten many nicknames over my time on the Internet. This is the first time I've gotten the name Steam. My old nickname was Cakey (because I could be sweet) and then "Wyverncakes". Don't ask me why I got it... I don't even know myself.

And don't worry; my spelling is very, very good.

And if you like Sailor Moon, you'll probably like Matei Mizuki. Another inspiration for it was the one time I asked myself "I wonder what went through Queen Beryl's reincarnation's mind when she found out who she really was?" The story also has a number of shout-outs to Sailor Moon... and one of the character's name is Minako.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:42 pm
Clo says...

Welcome! I like your username - I like seeing witty names here and there on the board.

And it's nice to see another old'un on the site. We old farts. :P
How am I not myself?

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:52 pm

Yeah. I wonder what's going to happen when we hit 25. Are they going to kick us off the website?

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.
— Sir James Dewar, Scientist