z

Young Writers Society

Hello!

Reviews: 3
Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:02 pm
Tigress says...

Hello everyone!
My name is Jessica, I'm seventeen and am currently in my second year at the local community college here in Spokane, WA. I am working on my "third" novel. The first two will forever be 'file-box books', but I like their general ideas and may come back to them when I have the experience necessary to write them properly.
I usually write historical, but am currently 2/3 of the way through a fantasy, and am really enjoying it, though my plot is maybe a little weak.
I am looking forward to meeting other young writers here! This looks like a great site, and it's always fun to connect with people who have shared interests and can bear my over-talking everything!
-Jessica

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:25 pm
Merry_Haven says...

Jessica-
Hey!! Welcome to the family. :D I hope you are most welcomed, here.

Make sure you check out the Help and Support tab. Such as Rules to follow (the ratio of reviews 2:1. and posting. Please make sure you keep to this one.), staff to contact, FAQ, and much more...

Oh my goodness!! We both live in Washington! :D But, I live on the Northwest part. How's it like in Spokane right now? Are the leaves turning color for the fall?

Historical? *looks around* Wow, we both write historical! Yeah!! Is your's just historical fiction or do you add in a little romance to it? Like Historical romances?

Well, if you ever wanna chat...feel free to pm me! I'm sure we'll have lot's to talk about. :wink:

-Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:27 pm
Demeter says...

Hey Tigress-slash-Jessica!

Welcome to YWS!

I feel really guilty, this is my first time in YWS since like August or something. I feel honestly terrible. But it's great to look at all these new members of the family! :D

I like your username :D

Well, luckily M_H has told you about the rules and stuff already, so... have FUN! And PM me if you ever need anything. I'll try to be around :)

See you!

Demeter xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:07 am
casey_kent says...

Hi there Jessica!

Welcome to the very AWESOME YWS!

So, how do you think of YWS so far?

Anyway, since you're new, check out the FAQ. This will help you around the site. Also, since you decided to be a member of the site, read the site's rules and guides.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Enjoy and have an AWESOME time!

See ya around!

~Casey the AWESOME
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:29 am
Via says...

Hi Jessica!

Welcome to the YWS!

What are your first two "novels" about? Are they historical? What era?

What are you studying in Uni?

Glad to have you aboard!

Ciao,
Via
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:33 pm
Tigress says...

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! This is really great!

To answer some questions:

I have only been on YWS for two days, so I haven't had THAT much of a chance to look around. Things have been busy. However, I like it so far. There are a lot of members, and everyone seems very friendly. The only thing bugging me is that the top bar looks like an ad, so I always forget that the links to the forums and stuff are ABOVE it. :roll:

I am from Seattle, born and raised, but am living in Spokane now. I HATE IT!! I miss the water and the mountains and the TREES. I am living in a concrete jungle. But one day, I'll leave this place... What part of WA are you from, Merry?

At university, I'm currently taking my prerequisites for my Associates of Arts degree. After that, I'll continue on in an english program (I'm an english major!), and eventually get my teaching degree for english literature. When I get that far, I'd love to teach English Lit at a university level. And, with the amount that I read, it will be something I enjoy!

My first novel, A Mask of Beauty, sucks. :lol: I love the general plot idea, but the writing is juvenile and I don't have the experience I need. With more years of time and effort and research, I may come back to it and scrap it. Anyway, it's about Antonia, a young lady of nobility who has everything, but also nothing. Her mother died when she was young, and her father has ever since blamed her and hated her for 'causing' her death. She is alone in a world where it's fashionable to make 'friends'. It's set in the 1670s in England. What I love most about this time period is that there was a mask over everything. Everything was beautiful and perfect. But this was just a mask covering the truth beneath- that even the wealthy are no better than the poor when it comes to morality. So, Mask is a story about Antonia's search for herself beneath her own mask, and what she will have to face in the mirror. And yes, there's a good deal of romance! ;)

My second novel, which is still in shorthand and more a pile of research than a story, is called Mother Isis Whispered. It's about the Middle Kingdom of Ancient Egypt- another time and place that has always fascinated me. The main plot (which still has some kinks!) is about a young woman, Shari. She lives 'alone' with her uncle, a middle-class merchant who is downsliding into debt with each passing season. Her uncle sees in Shari a resemblance to his first wife, who is still living but who left him for reasons of abuse and neglect. He lusts after Shari. The novel will be about her life- in the first chapter, she runs away from her uncle's house to flee with her lover, a scribe whom her uncle had banished out of rage and jealousy. Somewhere through, the uncle's jealousy will feul his rage, and someone will die. The rest of the novel will be about Shari's hunt for justice, and her fight to win against her uncle's power.

:roll: Well now... that was a book in itself :P

Cheers,
Jessica

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:32 pm
Miss Slade says...

Hello Jessica! I'm Slade and I'm very surprised the 2 reviews per post rule hasn't been said yet!

Well I hope your having alot of fun here on YWS and I hope you post some of your work soon!
You Cry, I Cry.
You Laugh, I Laugh.
You Jump Off Of A Cliff,
I Laugh... Even Harder.

Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:14 pm
Tigress says...

What rule is this...?
Please explain. I don't want to do anything wrong!

If I'm not supposed to be posting, I'm sorry. I do review, but posting is faster for the mornings...reviews come in the afternoons ;)

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson