z

Young Writers Society

Can you tell Im new? --Sam/Skl02134

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:42 am
skl02134 says...

Well, my name's Samantha, for starters. I might as well introduce myself here.

Surprise surprise, I like to write! I'm planning on becoming an author when I get older, and I hope that this place will help improve my writing skills. Constructive Critisism is my best friend: I hate it when people review my work saying it's awesome, even if they think it's not so great. I'm here to improve my writing, not to continue writing the same way, mistakes and all.

I love reading good books. Not horrible teen junk that only took the author about a year to write; truly great novels such as Gone with the Wind, and Pillars of the earth. Those are two of my favorite books of all time.

I think that's about it.

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:13 am
Merry_Haven says...

Samantha-
Hey! I wanted to say welcome to YWS!! I hope you are most welcomed here. :)
Make sure you check out the Help and Support tab. Rules to follow {especially the reviews rule. The ratio of 2:1} staff to contact, FAQ, and much more.

So what type of author do you want to be when you grow up? I'm aiming to be a YA author, hopefully. :wink:

You are definitely gonna love this site. The Constructive Criticism is so helpful. The reviewers are really honest with your work. So you can improve easily.

Which leads to...what do you like to write? Some poetry here? Or fiction there? Any genres particularity over another?

I remember a few years back on Christmas Day, my younger sister and me watched Gone with the Wind on TV. I feel really bad for that Ashley dude with that name. :wink: I see that you like the classics, do you like any British literature?

Well, if you have any questions or just wanna chat...feel free to pm me or even guest book me. Off I go...
-Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:06 pm
miyaviloves says...

Hello! Welcome to the YWS! If you ever need help on here with anything feel free to leave me a private message and I will be happy to help out :D

I think you will find that people give honest reviews here, but dont think that they are lying or just trying to be nice if they say they really liked your work!

As Merry said, its two reviews to each piece of work you post, dont forget :)

Hope to see you and your work around :D

Meevs
x
Bag.

Got YWS?

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:35 pm
Kaylyn says...

Welcome to YWS! (Sorry i dont mean to parrot)

Please dont worry, we give honest reviews around here. Escpecially me. I'll tell you what I thik about your stories. And the same things bother me too. If there is something wrong with my work I like 4 ppl to tell me straight up.

So if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll answer them the best to my ability.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:18 pm
skl02134 says...

Thanks guys! I'm really starting to think that this will be a great site for me.

Merry-
I don't know what author I want to be when I grow up; I don't really want to restrain myself to just YA work; I think I might write a bit of YA, Adult, and maybe even a few really short childrens books if I get to.

I am SO glad to hear that people actually speak their minds here. I've been to other writing websites and everyone is all: "Great Job!" "Nice!" or other one-word answers. I like to hear what exactly people like, and what they don't.

I write a bit of everything; I like poetry, but to write anything good I have to be really inspired. It's the same with fiction; It just comes a bit easier. When I write my genres tend to vary a bit, depending on what inspires me. I don't do any non-fiction though. I prefer to leave those in school or not at all.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about british literature... I don't really have a specific favorite. Seeing as I live in the US, I tend to pick up more US-written books, but I'll read anything good.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:32 pm
walshie says...

Dnt worry everyone on here is really honest and helpful.

P.M me if you want to chat =)
I've got birds in my ear and a devil on my shoulder, got a phone in the other and I can't get a hold of her. What's a crush to do?

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:25 pm
justin5676 says...

Hey Sam! I know this girl in real life; she's absolutely awesome.

But, good luck here. Most people here are very honest, and extremely helpful. If you post your work, most people do in depth reviews on your work, telling you exactly when they liked and didn't, fixing your errors, etcetera etcetera.

This should definitely improve your writing. Hell, I've only posted a couple things, and I'm already a better writer. This community is great, and I know you'll fit right in. See you in school Monday =P!

Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux (One must imagine Sisyphus happy).
— Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus