z

Young Writers Society

Soliloquy, An Introduction to Hatred

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:26 pm
H says...

It is with absolute regret that I return to these forums at a time like this. Recalling my registration back in December of 2004, the Young Writer's Society was a community, in every sense of the word. These days, I find myself looking back and following the evolution of this website, from membership of 100 to the grand 1000 in the beginning of 2006. In regards to its development, I positively commend Nate to his enduring hard work and my respect for him is exponential.

However, exponential is also the rate the Young Writer's Society grows. In a normal sense, this is a good thing--growth is good. But just as our world is becoming overpopulated, the word community grows less and less in validity with each passing day. The Young Writer's Society reflects this detraction from locality--a steady progressive anomaly toward anonymity. This change is, without doubt, depressing beyond belief.

I see each day of this website go from one to the next, the members posting their poetry, posting their stories, posting their "reviews". In no way do I target any individual specifically; rather I target the membership at large as infected by a bacterium. Young writers come to this site to learn, grow, and establish their place with this art: writing. I see a disregard to the rules, that is, posting their story or poem without prior reviews. What is worst, some pieces are plagued with one-sentence trivialities. Guides have been established on creating constructive, analytical feedback. It is a blatant disrespect to the author, a disrespect to the governing policies, and a disrespect to this forum.

To the Reader:
I wish naught to return to the forums in regret. I wish to reinstate a sense of community in this wonderful establishment many of us have taken asylum. These are our forums, given to us by our savior, Nate; each of us deserve the respect of one another. Inasmuch, I shall henceforth promote the well-being of this community in all ways that I can. Please, assist me in making these digital texts into something we can proudly hail our own.

Let us, together, bring back the "Society" in Young Writer's Society!
"True is the instinct in man which salutes,
the tiny percentage who die in their boots.
"

The pursuit of perfection is the greatest virtue of all.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:46 pm
Layleun says...

Welcome back to YWS, Hatred. Such an unhappy name for such a good writer, I must say. I see your point of view and almost believe it. Then I look at the people here and see that we are still a community. Maybe we're not as much of one as we were when we were smaller but when you look at the definition of a society,

-the condition of those living in companionship with others, or in a community, rather than in isolation.

we really are a strong community. I see what you see, people pushing out story after story and review after review, but you can't see what happens behind the stories and review. I've made all of my friends here through reviews and then through private message and then even further through MSN and AIM. Although you may not see it as much as when we were smaller or when the chat was around, we still interact and become close to family with one another.

As for the word community, I believe the poor word has had to adapt to modernization and meet demands it doesn't want to meet.

All in all it's nice that you've come back and even better that you're willing to put time into critiquing other people's work. And maybe you are right about us not being a community anymore. I see that we are but, then again, I haven't been here all that long :)

Good luck and welcome back to the family,
Lupe

Love is not an emotion. Love is a promise.
— 12th Doctor