z

Young Writers Society

Hello World

Reviews: 2
Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:45 am
View Likes
CharcoalFeather says...

Hmmm... what do I think of when I think of an introduction? Why is it the first thing that pops into my mind whenever I think of introductions is something out of a description of an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting I must have read or seen somewhere. Everyone introduces themselves by their first name, and everyone else rather unenthusiastically says : HIIIIII BOB! Thats how I feel sometimes about introductions. I could tell everyone my name, or what I do or what my hopes and dreams are but often you never really know who a person is based on that first contact with them, but its that first impression that is always the most important. Its the thing that establishes classification. "Yes I met bob, the new guy hes really messed up he likes turtles!" Its that firsts statement or lack thereof that establishes how you think of a person.

The problem with that its not ever that simple.

Ah, I'll get on with it. I've been writing basically for about seven years now. Most of the work I do is in the young adult genre, and I mostly write science fiction/fantasy or pure fantasy. The complications I have recently run into is my lack of association with the younger generation. Right after I left High School I went and did the most brilliant and utterly moranic thing I ever did and joined the Army. I then, not surprisingly I went to Iraq in 2005. Three years later finds me back in the states and recently separated from active duty in March of this year. I'm still with the reserves, (I got bored when I left) and I decided it would be interesting to go back to school. I still haven't figured out if that wasn't another of my more insane ideas.

Anyways, I'm here to try to see if I could interest you guys in the challenge of reading interesting but exceptionally long chapters, most of the stuff I actually post on forums are more than two typed pages 12 font at least in length. Many forums I try to post at, the stuff is never read because people complain about "extremely long chapters" as if a normal book chapter could fit on a single browser page worth of text. I think most people are just lazy. :P

I think I'm just griping because of my frustration in not being able to find a very good critique group for my work. I've been through several forums and I think this one has a certain appeal to it. I've been writing a while but I still have a long ways to go, I'm always improving and trying to learn new things.

With me it will be rare that you ever find a post that is only a paragraph in length at all. My typing speed is very fast and I normally don't bother with a post unless I can describe my reactions or lack of, in something at least a paragraph and normally two or three just because I can and I think its important to try to fully explain a point or idea rather than try to write as little as possible just to post.

Well, I think that about wraps it up for introductions, I hope to meet all of you guys and exchange many interesting stories and ideas over my entire time here.

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:55 pm
Chirantha says...

okay, this introduction was so long, that I did even read the first line. Sorry.

Welcome to YWS.

I'm Chirantha.

May I remind you that there is rule here that you have to do two reviews before you post anything. Keep a 2:1 ratio. It's, as far as I know, is the, most important rule.

If you need anything, PM me,

Bye. :D
Warden: "If you want to lead, all you have to do is ask."
Alistair: "What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I'm stranded somewhere without any pants."
- Dragon Age

Need a review?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:03 pm
Rydia says...

Hey there Feather, do you mind if I call you that? Or would Bob be preferable? Haha. It's good to meet you and I think you've found the right place. Admittedly, some people will decide that your writing is too long to read but there will be plenty of others willing to give it a chance. And if you find you're having trouble getting much interest, checkout the advanced critiques forum. That's for longer pieces and as long as you're willing to critique a longer piece in return, you're guaranteed a review there.

You strike me as an interesting person actually. I think it's those who write longer introductions that intrigue me the most but then, perhaps it's because you're older and more experienced with writing forums. That actually makes me wonder if the writer's society may be of use to you (it's an extension of YWS for the older members) but then, considering your target audience you're probably better giving good old YWS a go first =)

I'm Heather by the way. And if you have questions or need a helping hand with anything, feel free to pm me or one of the other people with green names. We're all here to help out. You can pm just to chat as well if you like.

See you around,

Heather xx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

“I don't talk things, sir. I talk the meaning of things.”
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451