z

Young Writers Society

Obviously new & I've got a few questions

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:29 am
Ella J. Black says...

Hello, I'm Ella J. Black.
No, that is not my real name, but a pen name I hope to make famous someday. Yes it is quite a large dream, but I know I'll make it, eventually.

Anyway, I'm horrible with introductions so I'll just get to the questions.
1. Reviews. What do you write for a review? Is there set guidelines or is it a free-for-all?
2. Points. What are they used for? How do you gain them, and how do you lose them? [and yes I know I've got a lot, but over half were donated to me from a friend]
3. Stories. I write mostly horror, but I couldn't find a place in the writing section that has that title. So where, pray tell, would I post?
4. Story Content. As I said above, I write horror. So in turn most of my stories have situations and certain subject matter that I'd rather not have people under sixteen read. I know I can rate it a higher level, but other than that what can I do?

Okay, I believe that's it. For now anyway.
So, ask anything you'd like about me [since it's only fair judging from my lack of introduction] and I'll try to answer to the best of my abilities. :)

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:40 am
Merry_Haven says...

Welcome, Ella!
I'll try my best to answer your questions.
1) For the review, it's like helpful tips here and there. Constructive criticism that can help the writer become better.
2) You gain points by reviewing, mostly. And lose them when you post something up. Like a piece of work.
3) For Horror, try other fiction.
4) All I know, there's nothing much you can do besides rate it.
Well, that's not the best I could do at describing everything. Hope this helps. If not PM me.
Anyway, about you!!
What are your hobbies? {I know everyone asks that, but I might as well}
Fav. Book? movie? genre of music? etc...
I can't think of anything else, off I go...
-Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

9 Reviews

Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:46 am
Ella J. Black says...

Merry_Haven wrote:Welcome, Ella!
I'll try my best to answer your questions.
1) For the review, it's like helpful tips here and there. Constructive criticism that can help the writer become better.
2) You gain points by reviewing, mostly. And lose them when you post something up. Like a piece of work.
3) For Horror, try other fiction.
4) All I know, there's nothing much you can do besides rate it.
Well, that's not the best I could do at describing everything. Hope this helps. If not PM me.
Anyway, about you!!
What are your hobbies? {I know everyone asks that, but I might as well}
Fav. Book? movie? genre of music? etc...
I can't think of anything else, off I go...
-Merry

Thank you for trying :) And you have helped, quite a bit actually.

Um, well I have quite a few hobbies now that I've finished school. [need something to do to occupy myself =D] A few things that I do that pop into my mind is photography, interior design [just around my house] and cook =]
Oh, and my favourites list changes often so you name it I'll read/watch/listen to it and it may very well become my favourite. :D

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:51 am
jasmine12 says...

Hello Ella J. Black. Really cool Pen name. I've always wanted one but can never choose one that really works. You write horror? Cool! Okay lets see if i can answer some of your questions here.

1) If you would like to review someones work, you can click the 'post reply' button. However if you want to quote it, thats a little different. You press the 'Quote' button on the left in the corner. Now it brings you to a page simular to the submit something page. Except it has the work in it. If you have a sentence you want to quuote, highlight it and click the tan 'quote' button. Whatever you dont want to be in your review...delete it. If this doesn't make sense Pm me. (Pm is a private message)
2) Points are like money. If you dont have enough money (points) you can't post any work. To get points you review others work. The idea is to have two reviews for every post. Losing them is simular to speding money, you lose a certain amount of points when you submit something.
3) As Merry has so nicely put, go for other fiction. (I'm looking forward to seeing you around)
4) If they read it, it's their fault. It's like the movies, they choose to watch it. When you publish a book, anyone can read it, right? Simular concept. If it's really bad, don't post that part.

If you have any other questions or just want to chat. Pm me! I like meeting new people, just ask Merry!!! Hope you like the site.
"Sometimes the worst bad guy makes the best good guy." Nigel--Untouched

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:12 am
Cade says...

1) There are a few articles floating around here on what makes a good critique. I'll link you to one:
How to Write a Good Critique by Suzanne
Read critiques by active members who have been recognized for their skills. People in purple, light green, or dark green names are Instructors, Junior Moderators, and Mods, respectively; you can pretty much guarantee that these people give quality reviews. But everybody has a different style. Additionally, good writers are often good editors; it's not always true, and good editors are not always good writers, either, but it's the case with many YWSers. If you see a piece you think is really fantastic, check out the reviews the author has given to others.

2) Points are used to determine the Member of the Week. Some people put great stock in points...others, like me, don't really care. You gain points by critiquing; you pay with points to post your work. They're also reset to 300 every week.

3) Probably just Other Fiction. :D

4) If you really feel that the subject matter might be too much, you can also put a disclaimer in the subject line as well as rating it. Example: "The Muffin Man (16+, graphic violence)". Putting the reason for it will often help; sometimes I think a plain old R rating gives something more appeal, but people who really don't like blood and guts will stay away from the piece if you say that. You can also put a little blurb at the top of the post giving another warning about it if you like.

Well, welcome to YWS! I'm Colleen and I'm a junior mod in the Poetry Forum, if you ever venture over there.

So, what do you like to do for fun? Do you play an instrument? What is your favorite kind of pie?
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

9 Reviews

Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:47 pm
Ella J. Black says...

jasmine12 wrote:Hello Ella J. Black. Really cool Pen name. I've always wanted one but can never choose one that really works. You write horror? Cool! Okay lets see if i can answer some of your questions here.

1) If you would like to review someones work, you can click the 'post reply' button. However if you want to quote it, thats a little different. You press the 'Quote' button on the left in the corner. Now it brings you to a page simular to the submit something page. Except it has the work in it. If you have a sentence you want to quuote, highlight it and click the tan 'quote' button. Whatever you dont want to be in your review...delete it. If this doesn't make sense Pm me. (Pm is a private message)
2) Points are like money. If you dont have enough money (points) you can't post any work. To get points you review others work. The idea is to have two reviews for every post. Losing them is simular to speding money, you lose a certain amount of points when you submit something.
3) As Merry has so nicely put, go for other fiction. (I'm looking forward to seeing you around)
4) If they read it, it's their fault. It's like the movies, they choose to watch it. When you publish a book, anyone can read it, right? Simular concept. If it's really bad, don't post that part.

If you have any other questions or just want to chat. Pm me! I like meeting new people, just ask Merry!!! Hope you like the site.

Okay, thank you. Your answers helped :)
And I may take you up on your offer =]
It's always better to know someone on a new site.

Cade wrote:1) There are a few articles floating around here on what makes a good critique. I'll link you to one:
How to Write a Good Critique by Suzanne
Read critiques by active members who have been recognized for their skills. People in purple, light green, or dark green names are Instructors, Junior Moderators, and Mods, respectively; you can pretty much guarantee that these people give quality reviews. But everybody has a different style. Additionally, good writers are often good editors; it's not always true, and good editors are not always good writers, either, but it's the case with many YWSers. If you see a piece you think is really fantastic, check out the reviews the author has given to others.

4) If you really feel that the subject matter might be too much, you can also put a disclaimer in the subject line as well as rating it. Example: "The Muffin Man (16+, graphic violence)". Putting the reason for it will often help; sometimes I think a plain old R rating gives something more appeal, but people who really don't like blood and guts will stay away from the piece if you say that. You can also put a little blurb at the top of the post giving another warning about it if you like.

Well, welcome to YWS! I'm Colleen and I'm a junior mod in the Poetry Forum, if you ever venture over there.

So, what do you like to do for fun? Do you play an instrument? What is your favorite kind of pie?

Thank you for the excellent article, it cleared up quite a few questions :D
To answer you questions, I like to do many things [often trying something new everyday], and I used to play alto sax and tried the drums but it ended quickly xD
And sadly you probably won't see me too much on the poetry forums I'm afraid, since I can't rhyme to save my life :oops:

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:05 pm
powerofthree says...

hello! I'm not new, new just not posting much. Don't know many people here and am busying writing a novel, so I'm Ryan, It's nice to meet you, send me a private message if you need help! I would love to help you! I write horror and fantasy mostly, and will review anything. I like your pen name a lot. I do post my poetry at all here. I am in choir, soccer, and Battle of the Books at my school and hoping to join Forensics and Scholastic Decathelon soon. There you can call me a friend if you like I could always use more.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality."-Jules de Gaultier

"No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies."-Daisy Bates

You're a hairy, wizard!
— EllieMae