z

Young Writers Society

Hello.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:57 am
Monarch says...

Hello, everyone! I'm not even going to try to be creative with this. I don't know what to say or where to begin. I write nonfiction, and hope to be an editor someday. I like photojournalism, travel, history, historical fiction, and writing poetry when it comes naturally. I can't just sit down and write a poem. I dabble in fanfiction but that's only to close plot holes and network with other fans, really, so I don't count that.

I don't watch much television or many movies. My favorite television shows include sitcoms such as Seinfeld and The King of Queens, Lost, and CNN and MSNBC. The best movies are Disney movies, specifically The Lion King, Mulan, Tarzan, and most others. I like the new Disney-Pixar movies as well. My favorite "adult" movies are A History of Violence, Secretary, Carrie, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Almost Famous.

I love historical fiction. Gail Tsukiyama and Amy Tan are two amazing Asian-American authors, and I've never read anything by either of them that I didn't like. Khaled Hosseini is great, too. A Thousand Splendid Suns may be the best book I've ever read. The Shepherd of the Hills, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings trilogy are some of my other favorites.

I like music, too, but I'm getting a bit long-winded so I'll just say that I love lots of different groups and artists but Queen is my favorite.

Thank you for reading!

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:14 am
casey_kent says...

Hi there!

Welcome to YWS!

Before anything else, I've got a few things for you to do. First, please read the rules and the FAQ. This will surely help you out a lot in the site. We have a rule which indicates that you have to make 2 reviews first before posting any of your work. Please do not break this rule. And when you've done this, try to keep up with 2:1 review-post ratio.

If you have any further concerns, feel free to PM me!

Enjoy and have an AWESOME time!

See ya around!

~Casey the AWESOME
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:43 am
Alainna says...

Hello and welcome to YWS!! *hands out muffins*

Ah, I just read 'The Kite Runner' and was considering picking up 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'. I've heard from many people that it is a great book.
As for your taste in Disney films, well, the Lion King Rules.
:D

If you haven't already you may want to check out the Help & Support tab on the drop down menu - it holds loads of really helpful stuff. You can also pm me if you need anything at all - I'm happy to help.

All the best and I hope you like it here.

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:47 am
sofi says...

Hey Monarch!

Welcome :D I think casey covered all the rule-type stuff so I wont bother boring you with it again.

I love Disney as well haha all my friends think I'm crazy but it's the kind of think I watch when I feel sad or stressed. It's very uplifting I find :D I also loved the Lord of the Rings books and films.

If you like historical fiction have you ever read Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie? It's not a book set in Medievel times or anything like that but it's about the civil war in Nigeria in the 60's. Try it you might like it :D

Also- books by Phillipa Gregory are very good. I'd recommend The Other Boleyn Girl :D

Ignore me if you've already read these but if you have let me know what you thought!

I hope you like it here! If you have any questions or just feel like a chat or want something reviewed please PM me and I'd be happy to! :D

Sofi.
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:31 am
.:Echelon:. says...

hey welcome to yws!!!!!!!!!

Hope you have fun :D

Love
xXxRebbeccaXxX
Every rose has it's thorn..
Just like every night has it's dawn.

I've matured a lot and I realised it was time to come back.. for good!

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:08 am
Monarch says...

sofi wrote:If you like historical fiction have you ever read Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie? It's not a book set in Medievel times or anything like that but it's about the civil war in Nigeria in the 60's. Try it you might like it :D

Also- books by Phillipa Gregory are very good. I'd recommend The Other Boleyn Girl :D

I've had both of these on my "to read" list, but due to my library system's limited selection and the popularity of The Other Boleyn Girl (thanks to the movie) I haven't been able to get my hands on either of them. I may end up *gasp* buying them.

And I'm sorry I didn't read the rules before posting! I usually do. :(

The most important thing is to preserve the world we live in. Unless people understand and learn about our world, habitats, and animals, they won't understand that if we don't protect those habitats, we'll eventually destroy ourselves.
— Jack Hanna