z

Young Writers Society

Hey

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:43 am
Bickazer says...

Well...I, like probably everyone else here, am an aspiring young writer. My main writing forum is the Deus Ex Machina forums, but I've come here because it seems more active and, well...I want to join as many writing communities as I can. ~_^

I've been writing since I was eleven, but the stuff I wrote back then was utter dreck. I only really started maturing as a writer at the age of...fourteen or so, and I've only seriously begun plotting out novels and such last year.

I'm mainly interested in speculative fiction genres, like science fiction and fantasy, but I dislike high fantasy and hard science fiction. Unlike a lot of you good folks, I haven't really...completed much. Several short stories (two that won first place in my school district writing contest, not that that really means much), and...a lot of stuff that I start but never goes anywhere. Currently I have two projects, however, that I'm interested in. One of them is too epic for me to carry out properly now, but the other one I've embarked on and may be able to pump out a rough draft for it. We'll see.

I also write a lot of fanfiction on the side....I'm called "Jander Panell" there if you're interested. That's also my name on fictionpress.
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:07 am
Merry_Haven says...

Bickazer-
Welcome to YWS!
You're right, this is a highly active site.
Don't worry, for me at least, I haven't actually started something then finish it. But when I came here...well that's a whole other story. :wink:
Congrats! On your school district writing contest. That must of been fun.
So when you ever post something up, I'll be glad to read it.
-Merry

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:37 am
cheese9975 says...

Howdy ho! Welcome! Everyone here is super nice, as I'm sure you'll find. Don't worry about not having completed much, neither have I. But posting stuff here serves as a little bit of motivation to get stuff done. I always have these fabulous beginnings to stories..and then I realize that they have no plot and they never make it up here, haha. But anyways, everyone is here to help! If you need anything, just holler!

xoxo,

Shannon
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

157 Reviews

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:55 am
Bickazer says...

salsashanno wrote: I always have these fabulous beginnings to stories..and then I realize that they have no plot and they never make it up here, haha.

That is my problem to a tee.

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:07 am
sokool15 says...

Welcome to YWS!

The trick is to make a bunch of friends on the site, have them critique the first part of your story, and then they'll pester you until you keep working on it. It's worked for me soooo many times. :P
I write fantasy, romance, and lots of random short stories (dark humor, etc) whenever they come to me. PM me with any questions or if you want me to be one of those friends who pesters you. I'm very good at pestering. Ask my siblings. :wink:

Au revoir!
~MademoisellKool 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

157 Reviews

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:30 pm
Bickazer says...

sokool15 wrote:Welcome to YWS!

The trick is to make a bunch of friends on the site, have them critique the first part of your story, and then they'll pester you until you keep working on it. It's worked for me soooo many times. :P

Ha ha, yeah, I'm aware of how that works. Many times I've been inspired (read: forced) to keep working by my sister...

Sure, I wouldn't mind being pestered by you. :)

BTW...because I'm an ignorant n00b, when I copy and past my story to post on here, how do I put spaces between the paragraphs without losing the paragraph indentations? I tried and failed to post a story but it either turned out looking like a huge block of text, or I lost the paragraph indentations and by extension scene breaks. Is there something wrong with the program I'm using, maybe? (I write in WordPad...)

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:56 pm
Adnamarine says...

Yo Jander, what up. Welcome to YWS!

Ach, I've never finished a novel either, but no worries. I'm sure you can pull it off. Speaking of which, we have a usergroup just for writing novels! You can get all kinds of advice from other people there, or you can just vent your frustration and celebrate your successes:) The Novelists. Check it out!
And of course, we have a ton of other usergroups as well.

We have a few other places you particularily might find helpful as well. There's the Writer's Corner (under Community), and if you put your mouse over Resources there's a little drop-down menu. On there there's '101 tips for Writers' which you might be interested in, and just a ton of other stuff.

By the way, before you post any of your stories, make sure you do two reviews, and after that just do your best to keep roughly a 2:1 ratio (reviews to stories). Any other rules, and some other helpful tips, you can find in the FAQ.

Okay, to your issue with paragraph indentations. What I usually do (I don't use Word Pad though, so this may or may not work) is I put spaces between the paragraphs before copying it into here.
Otherwise, I think that if you go to the end of the line above where you want the space, and press 'enter' there, instead of on the line that moves down, then I think it keeps your indentation.
Let me know if either of those works, or if you need any other help!

~Adna
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:37 am
Snoink says...

Hey, don't you demerit yourself that easily. ;) Writing competitions are great ways to get started. :)

It's awesome to see another non sci fier and low fantasy writer here. It's cool... I was watching this MIT lecture online (um... yeah, I'm a geek,) about fantasy and how it was another way of looking at our world and making sense of it. High fantasy and hardcore sci fi, I think, can't really do this, so for me, it's slightly useless. But I am only one voice out of many. ;)

Anyway, this is a very active site, but I'm sure you can find your way around it fairly easily. If you can't, I'm always here to help. :) In fact, I can help in a lot of stuff since I'm a moderator and that's my unofficial job! So if you need any help whatsoever, just bug me and I'll do my best.

Hope to see you around! And remember... YWS is addicting, so make sure that you keep on writing your stories and resist the temptation of YWS some of the time... ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:16 am
Demeter says...

Hi and welcome, Bickazer!

You seem to be a very interesting person :) Congrats on winning the contests! We have also lots of different kind of writing contests here on YWS, so if you like, it might be worth checking out. Just go to the "Community Forums" and find a forum called Contests. Not that hard, is it? :D

You sound just like me on your writing history. I wrote some total rubbish when I was little, and now it's just rubbish with a bigger vocabulary. Haha :D Not that your writings are rubbish, because I know they're not, even though I've never read any of it. I was talking about my writings. :) It's quite hard to me to finish my stories, and I never manage to start them, but I hope it'll get easier someday.

What's your favourite genre to read? Or the favourite author?

Well, it's just great to have you along, and I hope you'll PM me if you happen to need any help around the site. See you around!

Demeter xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:17 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hi and Welcome.

You sounds like a very interesting person to know,

Well, make sure you note the Rules and Guides under the Help and Support Wiki on the far right on the top.

I hope forward to seeing your work around.

Night Mistress
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:44 pm
.:Echelon:. says...

Hey welcome to young writers society, need any help, just ask, im good with groups and storybooks.

any review pm me two, I hardly do them,

Fantasy rules

Love
xXxSerenityStillxXx
Rebbecca xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Every rose has it's thorn..
Just like every night has it's dawn.

I've matured a lot and I realised it was time to come back.. for good!

We all share half a braincell that bounces like a windows screensaver
— WeepingWisteria