z

Young Writers Society

Enter the Face Engine!

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:32 am
Face Engine says...

Hello people!

I was just doing some random late night web-searching (2 o'clock here in glorious Britain, my sleeping pattern has gone all over the place what with having been off school for about two months) when I came across this website. I've always liked reading, ever since I started reading Harry Potter when I was about a half, third or fifth of my current size (I'll have to admit now that I can't be bothered to read the sixth and seventh Harry Potter books-I'm just not a Potter fan), and I've always enjoyed creative writing.
Indeed, creative writing was my favourite thing to do in English, though I always wished that we could write stories longer than five A5 pages. So a couple of years ago I started writing my first novel. And never completed it, and that's basically been the case with all of my novels, and I think there are two main reasons for that:

Firstly, I think and ponder and contemplate too much. One minute I'm thinking, "Ooh, a fusion of WW1 and High Fantasy would be cool," and then I'm considering how to make a new Sci-Fi universe stand out as something unique.
Secondly, so far all of my unsuccessful novels have been completely unseen by anyone else. It isn't that I don't want people to see my work, but I've never simply thought of showing it to anyone. Thus the stories I have written in school are the only ones I've completed, though they aren't necessarily the best ones.

Anyways, you may have guessed that I am a bit of a rambler. If you haven't, then something must be wrong with either you or me. Whatever the case, I am a rambler-just thought I should warn everybody. Some people find it quite tiresome and never get round to reading half of what I write.

My main interest in creative writing is science fiction, but mainly only when the story is or sounds feasible-that isn't to say I don't like magic, but I prefer to relate stories to the real world, and if they obey the same laws of physics it makes things a lot easier! I like pretty much anything, to be honest, but I prefer stories which have a very deep and profound meaning behind them.

Hurrm, I think that is more or less everything I need to say in order to introduce myself. Ooh, I'm Kai, a 16 year old boy living on the south coast of England, I'm anxiously awaiting my GCSE results (5 days!!!) and hoping to get into Sixth Form at the school that I have gone to for the whole of KS3 and 4. Now I've fully introduced myself...for now, at least. And I'm the Face Engine, but seeing as you probably don't have a clue what that is, I shall be going to bed now, lest I hibernate through my A-levels :roll: .

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:26 am
Jay says...

Hello Kai, welcome to YWS! Remember, for every piece of work you post, you must review 2 other pieces. PM me if you've got any questions or concerns.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:21 pm
Cold And Broken Halleluja says...

Hey and welcome! I understand the rambling thing. I do it too often, myself. :)

Cool to see there are others writers who like Science Fiction like myself. I don't like reading about magic too much, either. Physics has always been a favorite subject of mine.

Let's chat sometime ;) I'm always up for critiquing stuff.
"Soar, eat ether, see what has never been seen; depart, be lost, but climb." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Help me get that second star! If you need a review, just send me a PM. (Keep it PG, please. Except for violence... I can handle that. ^^ )

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:51 pm
Adnamarine says...

Haha, wow:) I guess there's nothing wrong with me;) But rambling can be just fine, and in this case it keeps me from feeling obliged to ask such questions as "What do you like to write?" "What do you like to do?" "How did you find us?" "Are you human?" and so on. (=

Science fiction is certainly not my forte, but I do enjoy it once and awhile. One of my favorite books of all time is Ender's Game, ever read it? If not, know that it is science fiction of the purest kind :D

Creative writing was my 'specialty' in school :D Like you, I hated having limits on how long I could make it, because 5 pages just isn't always enough time to develop a good story. So half the time I would end up writing two versions of the story---one to turn in, the proper length, and one for myself, significantly longer. (= Thank goodness my teacher wasn't about to let me get away with turning in something twice the length she asked for. The limitations were good for me, I think. I had to learn how to fully develop something in a relatively short amount of space. But now who's rambling? I wasn't asked for a full character sketch of myself, unlike you. This is your welcome thread where we talk about you ;) Still rambling. Do you like watermelon flavored bubblegum and pina coladas?

Apart from that silliness of mine, I'm just going to tip you off about a couple rules so the moderators don't have to scold you or me;) Before you post any of your writing, you have to post two critiques of other people's writing--we call that reviewing. After that, you should do at least two reviews for every piece of your own you write. No chatspeak (unless you're entering in Event #9-- see our Writing Olympics if you have no idea what I'm talking about (= ), and of course unnecessary rudeness in reviews and elsewhere is frowned upon.

So *takes deep breath* aaaaalll of that said, WELCOME TO YWS!!!!!!!!

*Adna*
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:33 am
Face Engine says...

Well it is good to see that there are people like me in the world :roll: no doubt you or I will contradict that statement by showing that actually we have nothing else in common, but anyways.

I think I forgot to add (thank you 'Halleluja for unintentionally reminded me) History is my favourite subject, which, for some reason, seems strange to some people, as I'm obsessed with the future of Humankind. Well, I can't really explain how, to me, History and realistic Science Fiction are practically the same thing-in the future, today will be History. I find the best way to predict the future, other than a good mixture of logic and imagination, is to look to the past. And after History, Science, particularly Physics, is my favourite subject. Science is also probably what I'm best at.

I don't think i have read Ender's Game. I'll admit that most of what I have read has been High Fantasy, but that is mainly because I read most of what I have read before I came across the real world and realised that our universe is so much better than any universe created by a Human.

And I can't say I've tried Watermelon flavoured bubblegum, so I'm afraid I can't answer that question. Well, I probably have, I just can't remember trying it.

Finally, thanks for notifying me on those rules

The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
— Samuel Johnson