z

Young Writers Society

Hey!

Reviews: 2
Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:03 pm
dailystatic says...

so im chelsey and i really dont know what im doing. but you guys seem friendly so im actually pretty excited to blog here!

i love writing. im an english major and still get the whole 'so... youre going to be a teacher?" thing.. which i am thinking about but i really want to write. im nineteen, been writing since i was 11, never been published cause i was too embarrassed because i think im really not that good. im here cause i have no writer friends (central wisconsin... seriously.. come on now) and im in desperate need for interaction with authors.

k... um, i think thats enough. im relaly not good at this stuff, apologies!
"Procrastination - do it now, don't put it off," - Ellen DeGeneres

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:07 pm
Emerson says...

Hello and welcome to YWS!

If you have any questions about the site feel free to PM me. What is your favorite genre to write, or to read?

And just a suggestion, if you want to be a good writer, use good grammar! We actually have a rule here, no chat speak, and use the best grammar you know of. You, of course, don't have to be perfect with grammar, but it doesn't take a lot of effort to add an apostrophe to "Im" and capitalize the pronoun I. I'd think an English major would be more persnickety about it. ^_~

I hope you enjoy the site! Don't forget to read all the rules, FAQs, and such.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:13 pm
dailystatic says...

Haha, yes actually it does annoy me when people don't, but I was nervous, sorry! Anyways, thanks, and I'll be sure to review everything

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:22 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Chelsey!

I'm Stella (not my real name, that's a secret... kinda) and obviously, I love writing too, otherwise, you know, I wouldn't be on YWS...

So feel free to explore our wonderful world here. Just remember the Golden Rule (mercy, that sounds so cheesy!) two reviews for every piece of your own you post in the Literary forums. That way everybody gets reviewed and all are happy.

Don't be nervous about your writing! Get it out there. If you're majoring in English, I'm sure you're bound to be good. YWS is just the place to talk to other people in your position, and to get some support from them too. We have some excellent critiquers hanging around, look especially for the people whose names are in purple.

And darling, I understand you were probably freaking out like "I'm on the Internet, I'll look like a freak if I use real grammar!" Don't. It's how we function here.

So what do you like to read, and write? Poetry, fiction? What kind/genre? Tell us all!

PM me if you have any questions, or ask the Greeters (their names are turquoise!)

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:15 pm
View Likes
Via says...

Hi Chelsey!

Welcome to YWS! I am also an English major, but a double with Education. I'm hoping to be able to write and teach. Are you a first year or second year?

What do you like to write? Do you read often? What's your favorite book? (All the prying I'll dish out today ;])

Anyway, if you have any questions about anything or..anything, just feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help out!

Hope to see you around!
-Via
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:25 am
Meshugenah says...

English majors ftw! *pounces* We're an awesome bunch, we be ^^ What's your concentration? Writing? Or does your school do that? Mine's silly and does, but that's mine.

Anyhoo! Welcome to YWS! Hope you enjoy our insanity and your stay!

Bek
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:50 am
Adnamarine says...

Hey Chelsey! My sister's an English major too, and she gets the teacher thing sometimes. She's thinking about being an English professor, just because there's no guarantee of consistent income in writing and she just doesn't know what else to do with an English major.

And another sister lives in central Wisconsin:) Just moved there, a tiny town with waterfalls and a lovely lake. Quite picturesque. Delicious food for a professed poetry lover.

Well, we're very excited to have you here. What kinds of things do you like to write?
Ach, if I wanted to try getting published I wouldn't even know where to start. Why do little literary magazine websites mostly for teens never tell you if they're paying? I wouldn't be so picky about that if I didn't feel like those that do pay have higher standards, so it would say more for my work if I was paid.

But anyway, if you need any help, don't hesitate to give me a shout. I know I felt overwhelmed when I first came here.
And by the way, before you post any of your work, make sure you do two reviews. A little rule we've got going on here. And from there, just try to do at least two reviews for each of your own works you post.

See you around!

*adna*
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:01 am
dailystatic says...

Thanks guys! Question - what does it mean by 'two reviews'? Do you mean previewing?

Ya, I'm going into my second year at school. I was also thinking about being a professor, or going and getting my teaching degree

I LOVE basically any kind of genre. My favorites are the classics, young adult (as long as its not cliche (spelling?)) historical fiction, and fantasy. I'm also a Classical Studies minor (we'll see how the Latin goes... eek) so I'm really into all that. Well, for now. I'm also obsessed with myth/folklore and how culture develops.

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
— Groucho Marx