z

Young Writers Society

Turntable Jack

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:08 am
Turntable Jack says...

Well, I feel like I am a different kind of writer, and I want to see if their are others who are in the same boat as me. I very rarely read anything besides textbooks and I never read books anymore. I am very good reader and I am really smart, but it is something I don't really do. I don't know if this is a major disadvantage to me wanting to write a book since I don't really read anymore, or not. Maybe it will help me as I won't really get influenced by any other book.

However, unlike reading, I do enjoy writing. As stated, I am working on a novel that I feel is very new and original. So hopefully, that turns out well. I write poetry a lot to help me become a better writer as well. The reason I write is less about expressing my emotion as opposed to sharing ideas and getting my point across. Maybe that is emotion, but who really knows. I also love to compete when writing, so that is always fun.

I am influenced by two things as a writer. My life. Which has been very odd and a lot of very strange things have happened to me. I once found a suitcase full of money, A bank robber/murder once threatened me and my family so I needed a bodyguard from the FBI, I have lived with my girlfriend since she was 16, I skipped 11th grade and graduated high school when I was 17, and I have been an active member in the hip hop community. Which brings me to my second influence, hip hop. Hip hop as a culture is incredible and amazing. It is all about poetry, turntablism, graffiti, dancing, etc. The hip hop I have come to love is very underground and not heard on the radio. It is very respectful, intelligent, and essentially poetry.

I'm trying to break this writer's cramp, massage my hand and daydream
Out the window innuendo, watch the water find it's path down the glass
It seems, erratic direction, it's only perfection
Rest my head inside my hands, pace back and forth inside my mind
I wish sometimes I wouldn't reminisce so much
such things, tend to make one reflect and dissect situations to an extreme
Hard now to redeem what was there before
No more gone are those days and ways have parted
Gone from feeling solid trust to outsmarted
Anyway, I'm now moving on to a distance far from yesterday
It's best this way
I feel as though I've missed this moment of truth
Outcome uneventful. I've lost the ability to feel sentimental
I can stare at a puddle and see a million places I love

That was a verse from a rapper who goes by the name of Alias.

Right now, my life is very busy. I live with a girl and I am attending college to become a therapist. I read a lot of textbooks and books concerning psychology to teach myself as my goal in life is to become one of the top therapist and psychoanalysis. And as stated before, I am working on a novel that will be very dark and gritty.

So hello folks.

Random avatar

Reviews: 64
Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:59 am
Yatta! says...

I wanna read it.

Nice to meet you,
YATTA!

P.S. I'm thinking your life + psychology text books = enough inspiration to make a novel. Psychology text provides good insight into constructing human psyche. I usually delve back to stuff like that when I write, so Kudos and don't knock your talent cuz you don't read fantasy crap. Stuff like that don't make you a good writer (unless perhaps you use the classics as a method of example), it something you possess within you, young grasshopper.

I felt that "young grasshopper" was needed, excuse me.

Hey, lookie there, I've got more in my post script than in my entire script.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:30 pm
Gahks says...

Hello there! I'm Gahks BTW (that's pronounced 'garks'); good to meet you!

Nice to know you're into poetry. There are so few people who really enjoy writing it that knowing I'm not particularly alone on this site is comforting! What kinds of poetry do you write? Lyric? Narrative? Happy? Quirky? Emotional? Me, I'm a lyric and dramatic person. Do you have any other hobbies or interests? I enjoy cycling, modern foreign languages and public speaking.

Your life seems rather varied compared to mine, but hey, I wouldn't like to have a bank robber threatening me...

See you around!

Gahks
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year