z

Young Writers Society

'Sup

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:51 am
Qultur says...

Yeah, so...I'm not entirely sure how I got here, so I blame insomnia.

I think I'd heard of this place before...anyone here been to TW, as in the Teenage Writers forum? That's where I've heard of this place, though I found it just now through Google.

To tell you the truth, I'm just looking for a bit of anonymity until said insomnia subsides, which could take awhile, and seeing as the only thing to do on the internet is write crap, I searched for a poetry site...though this place works just as good. Hah.

Anyway, I guess my name's Qultur, the lovechild of Kultur and Quiet. I've written poetry as a way to waste time, and after about a couple years or so, actually understand how to write it, meaning I know that rhyming and abstract nouns are generally bad resources to start it off with.

I'll try scrambling up a little something to post here so you can get an idea of how scrambled my head itself can be; I've been told some of my stuff's pretty entertaining by a bunch of people, so I hope I don't completely waste your time or whatnot.

...yeah.

Nice to meet you. :?:

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:36 am
mizz-iceberg says...

Welcome Qultur!
Yea this is the 'write' (my corny humor) site for you if you enjoy writing.
Make sure you read the rules and guides and be sure to check out the FAQs to help you get comfortable at YWS. If you ever need anything send a PM my way and I'd be more than happy to help you.

So what else do you like to write other than poetry?? Favourite writer? Your favourite singer?
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

12 Reviews

Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:56 am
Qultur says...

Eh...I don't really write much else than poetry; I can never get down more than a paragraph of fiction before I start to dislike what I'm writing. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd even consider myself a writer, since I haven't really written anything in a couple months. (unlike those kinds of dudes who can crank out pages and pages of fiction a day for their twenty-somethieth novel) And I can generally tolerate any writer so long as their name isn't Hal Sirowitz.

The singer's the easier to answer; favorite band of all time's Animal Collective.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:51 am
Demeter says...

Hey there, Qultur!

Nice to meet you, I'm Demeter. Or D, or Dem, or Meter, or whatever you please. :) What's up with you, then?

Mizz has covered the technical stuff pretty well. I just remind of the two-reviews-before-posting-own-stuff rule, but I guess you've already come across with it. Oh, and if you're interested in having a certain "buddy"/mentor who is to review all your stuff you post during your first month here, just check the topic "The Buddy System". Of course, all the people in YWS are your buddies and will review your stuff if you ask them, but this is more of someone who's there basically just for you. :)

I haven't read anything by Hal Sirowitz. What kind of writer is he? What's so bad about him? :D haha

Well anyway, enjoy the site and PM me if you'd like to ask something!

See you around,

Demeter xx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:28 pm
casey_kent says...

Hi there!!

Welcome to the Young Writers Society!!

It's very nice to meet you too! My name's Casey by the way..

Okay, before anything else, here are some stickies that you have to remember. Please read the rules and the FAQs first before anything else. I guarantee you that it will help you out a lot. We have a rule which indicates that you have to make 2 reviews first before posting any of your work. We are very strict about this rule and as well as the other rules so please do not break any of them.

If you have any further questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to PM me anytime. I'd be glad to help in anyway that I can.

Enjoy and have an AWESOME time!

See ya around!

~Casey the AWESOME
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:33 pm
andimlovegalore says...

Hey =] welcome Qultur. Nice to meet you! I'm Ruth.

I'm looking forward to reading your poetry! I write a lot because of insomnia as well - it's a good enough reason!

I know the problem you have, writing a paragraph and then starting to dislike it. I usually just write it anyway, I have a rule that I can't edit until I've written a while chapter - that way I don't give up too early. Once you get going with it, it stops being so horrible and you just get used to it.

Anyway if you need some help or have a question you can ask me (or anyone I'm sure!).
R x

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:38 am
ChurlishLassy says...

Oh the secret! No matter how many times you bombard me I won't believe in a greater power! Have ypu heard of the Secret?
That aside, I normally don't go to welcome, heck I rarely bother to go on this site, but today I did, and I searched Animal Collective, to see if anyone had some good taste here, and 'woah and behold' (God said, book of revelations numba 5) here you are only one day old and it is your favorite band.
Mine too by far far. I intend to stalk you across the boards because of it, but don't hold it against me if I don't.
Have you seen the Who Could Win a Rabbit and the Peacebone msic videos? Now those touch my soul, easpeashally the peacebone one, somehow that is exactly what the song communicated.
My favorite song though, is Did You See the Words, which made my thoughts rhyme for like a week.
:D I hate smileys but they are freindly.
The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

Go to heaven for the climate or hell for the company.

The clothes make the man, naked people have little or no effect on society.-Mark Twain

12 Reviews

Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:18 pm
Qultur says...

Psh, I'm many days old, but just not here; hence, I've experienced creepier things than one stalking another because they like the same obscure band.

I hate to say it though, but their videos can kinda freak me out; they're weird, but to me not quite so touching as say, the Mogwai music videos. (checkem' out if you haven't heard them; they're different than AC but sound great when you're in a certain calm mood, like if you're just about to fall asleep or something) And Did You See the Words is pretty good, but my favorites are a cross between Grass, For Reverend Green, and Fireworks for their energy. They're wicked fun to sing aloud, even if you can't sing well. :D Plus refrain in Fireworks, "what's the day, what's you doin'..." is probably the closest piece of music I've heard that gets near to tear-jerking for me.

...I'm a little foggy on that whole Secret thing, though, even googled it I was so confused. Is it some kinda reference?

Anyway, thanks for the welcomes everyone, and remember that Hal Sirowitz is not a poet because journal entry confessionals are not poetry.

Chickens are honestly little dinosaurs. And they know it.
— ChieRynn