z

Young Writers Society

ARGH, I'm a Pirate! Welcome Me!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:22 pm
Theo Hart says...

Ah... randomness.

In any case, my name's Theo Hart, I'm an aspiring Fantasy/Sci-fi Writer/Future Librarian.

I was a member of a, now, unfortunately, deceased, young writer's forum called Absynthemuse, which was absolutely amazing and provided incredible help with my writing in addition to professional opportunities.

So, I've been wandering around the intertubes since about the end of December, pretty much doing nothing.

Then, I noticed your site today while browsing Google images and decided to check it out.

In any case, in terms of my style and interests, I've grown a fascination with Steampunk and it's variants within the past year, so I may put up something like that...

I love Epic Fantasy, as long as it doesn't spend a single page describing a blade of grass or the philosophical idiosyncrasies of paint drying under a character's boots.

Let's see here, what else... I'm half-and-half between Italian and Norwegian. I, currently, live in Kentucky. I don't like Eragon (purple prose up the wazoo). I like phyllo dough...

My current major project is an "Electricpunk" epic (Can you describe your own work as "epic" and still be modest...?) that's in the process of forming, which is another reason I joined--I need all the eyes I can get on this thing, because, well, I don't see everything. Plus, I'm serious about making a working manuscript out of this thing.

See y'all out there,

THEO

PS--Not all of the page is showing up on my monitor, here. Is there something I can do about that? Screen resolution problem, maybe? I can't see a considerable portion of the left hand side of the page. (The only things I know about technology are Word Doc and teh interwebs.)

EDIT: Hmmn... I set the screen res higher, which solved the problem, but now everything's all screwed up on my desktop... (I have a relatively small monitor.) Is there a lower resolution version of this site?

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:51 pm
Firearris says...

Hello, and welcome to YWS! I suggest you contact our admin, Nate, for your screen problem.
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:01 pm
Prokaryote says...

Steampunk is awesome.

And welcome to YWS. :P Hope to see you around.

Pork

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:27 pm
andimlovegalore says...

Hi =] welcome.

I'd be interested in your steampunk stuff - I love that kind of writing =D I agree with you about fantasy writing, it's best without all that horrible minute detailing.

If your screen is pretty small you should use a browser that isn't all cluttered up with loads of stuff. You have mozilla? That's kind of less messy and leaves more space for stuff on the screen.

Maybe if you put the resolution to something that is the wrong shape for your monitor - a laptop has a more widescreen res but a regular monitor needs a more square shape like 800x600 or 1024x800. *shrug* hope you figure it out any way. Having to mess around with sidescroll bars is a huge pain!

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:31 pm
Meshugenah says...

Sure, ask a question I can't answer! I hate screen resolution anything -- especially when mine got reset after a presentation for my seminar class last semester... that was nasty. Took me way too long to reset everything.

Anyhoo! Welcome to YWS! Epic fantasy ftw! I wish I could write it, but I just don't have the patience (at least right now). But I do love my scifi, so that may be another slight hindrance ;)

If you have any questions about YWS, I can answer them! Ok, usually. I like to think I know what I'm doing, but then someone goes and asks about resolution thingamajiger, and I'm flabbergasted again!

See ya around!

-Bek

Oh yeah, the rules are a good thing to look at, if you haven't already, as is the new help and support wiki section! See it at the top right-hand corner of the page? Nifty!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:09 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Welcome!

^_^ Sorry your other site had issues, I hate when good sites go down. =P Luckily, you found another really awesome one, so you will survive.

lol! I didn't like Eragon either, though I can barely remember why. The movie, of course, was funny... and yet not great. *had the converter and stopped the movie every 2 seconds to comment*

Oooh. Librarian. :D That sounds like an awesome job. Right up there with movie/book reviewer. ^_^

If you're having trouble with our site (getting around, figuring things out) or just need a buddy you can count on to help you out, we have a great Buddy System where you can find one.

Though, of course, you can always PM me anytime if you need a crit, have a question or need a friend. I hope you enjoy the site!

^_^ Keek!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:41 pm
Night Mistress says...

hi,

Welcome to YWS.

If you need anything or feel like you need a friend, free feel to pm me.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:09 am
Jon says...

hey welcome theo!, you'll find that YWS is a really fantastic site and you will grow to love it, also you can expand your writing skills here too.

if you have any questions just pm me

---Jon--- :D
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:04 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Hahaha, we're going to love you. :P

Welcome to the YWS! Razor should be around here soon to recruit you... Anyway, I'm the local [s]bum[/s]oddity, Sumi. Feel free to PM me with questions or review requests and all that jazz.

Blades of grass...? Ugh, yes, Tolkien. For epic fantasy I prefer Rick Riordan, Jonathan Stroud or D.J. MacHale, which may or may not constitute. :D

Future Librarian? What kind of librarian?
ohmeohmy

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:44 am
Theo Hart says...

Sumi H. Inkblot wrote:Future Librarian? What kind of librarian?

Probably just your usual General Reference/Public Librarian--it's how I was introduced to the field, and I love it so far.

Oh, and yes, Tolkien--right on the nose. He was, obviously, an incredible writer; it's just that he could get... carried away with himself. The only thing I like from him is The Hobbit, which I love and aspire to.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:57 am
The-Phantoms-Thorne says...

Hi there Theo!

I, too, was once on Absynthe Muse. It was great. But I'm new here too. So lets be new together!
~@ Hyde's Classic Lines @~
“I must say, I enjoy a bit of carnage in the evening.”
“Well, this is the oddest angle I've seen London at, I must confess.”

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:45 am
Demeter says...

Haha, Theo, you'll fit in fine. :) Glad to have you here.

So welcome to YWS! Unfortunately I can't help you with the resolution thing, I'm awful at that kind of stuff. I mean, not helping, resolution. :D

Ooh, you're half Norwegian? That's amazing! I've been to Norway. Only Lapland, though. It was funny; I was standing there, the other foot in Norway and the other one in Finland. :D Haha. As you can see probably see, I'm from this awesome land of polar bears and Santa Claus.

(Everyone – just kidding about the polar bears. ;))

You can say you're epic and still be modest, at least in YWS. :) I don't like Eragon either, and the movie is even badder than the book. Yes, I confess – I've seen the movie, unfortunately. Only good thing about it was Jeremy Irons, and then his character died. Not good. That's what you get when you put a youngster writing a book.

Hahahahahahahahahaha :D I'm sure we're all better writers than Eragon's writer. At least more original, shall I hope.

I like the Hobbit, too. I hate to admit that I haven't even read The Lord of the Rings. Only the first one. But I like Roverandom as well, although it's maybe more of a children's book.

Anyways, enjoy the site (and remember to check the Rules!). If you have anything to ask, just PM me.

See you around!

Demeter xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:01 pm
Alainna says...

Hobbit = Awesome

Heya Theo and welcome to YWS!!

Ah, yes, we have a few pirates on YWS already so be prepared to be swept up by them. :D

Anyways, if you need anything then just send a pm flying my way - I'm happy to help. Unfortunately, I'm not good with technical stuff (I'm useless with actual computers) and therefore can't help with your problem. Your best bet is contacting someone else on the site about it.

All the best and I hope you enjoy your time around here.

See ya,

Alainna
xx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

"When a body moves, it's the most revealing thing. Dance for me a minute, and I'll tell you who you are."
— Mikhail Baryshnikov