z

Young Writers Society

Hello!

Reviews: 2
Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:37 am
Minerva Scriptor says...

Hi! My name is Minerva. I am nearly sixteen years old and am a dedicated environmentalist and vegetarian
I love to read and write creatively. My favorite books include, but are not limited to Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, the Bartimaeus Trilogy, His Dark Materials, and the Chronicles of Narnia.
I like to write science fiction, fantasy, and persuasive essays. I am currently beginning what promises to be a very long science fantasy story.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:11 am
Demeter says...

Hello, Minerva!

Welcome to YWS! I'm Demeter. I'm also nearly 16 (well, in December...) and also somewhat environmentalist. You have a good taste in books :) I like Harry Potters and Narnia, too, but I haven't read those other books.

I'm sure you'll find here what you're looking for. This is such a great place for us young writers to post stories etc., and there are some awesomely talented people here. But luckily, we're all here to improve!

As I seem to be the first one welcoming you, I'd like to remind you to read the rules if you already haven't. You can find them in the Help and Support section along with other helpful things. Also, it is recommended to do at least two reviews toward every piece you post. :)

Well, I hope you have an amazing time! PM me if there's anything you'd like to ask.

See you around,

Demeter xx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:57 am
rubberduck says...

Hi there, Minerva!

Welcome to YWS! :)

Well... Erm... The rules part has already been pointed out. So, I don't think I have much to say. (Go read the rules when you have the time. :))

So, I hope you enjoy yourself in YWS.

Feel free to PM me if you ever want a review. I'm not that fantastic at reviewing, but I'll try my best! :D

-Max.
I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman.
- Homer Simpson

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:13 am
Sapphire says...

Hey, another Harry Potter fan here! The Chronicles of Narnia are sitting on the shelf behind me, wondering what has taken me so long to finish them!

You've already been told about the rules, so I'll just point to the top of the page and say the tabs will help you navigate the site. There's a lot to look at between the community and literary forums, usergroups and blogs but you'll get used to it in no time.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything!

:)
Click for critiques :)

Dancing through life down at the Ozdust, if only because dust is what we come to – Wicked the Musical

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:53 am
Adnamarine says...

Heyllo Minerva, welcome!

I agree with them, you do have good taste in books... er, that is, I haven't actually read Artemis Fowle or His Dark Materials, but the others are very good:)

In addition to what Demeter told you, I'd like to point out also that you need to do at least two reviews before you post any of your writing. Also, please avoid using chatspeak. We are writers after all:)

I haven't read much sci-fi (the only really sci-fi book I've read is Ender's Game; have you read it?), but I love fantasy, and essays are always interesting. Do you think the story you're writing will be very long as in... novel length? If you need any advice or want to ask some vague questions that don't give away the plot but lead people to think you might just be crazy (I've been there, I know:D) there are many good places to do that, or rant and vent when the words aren't behaving. For instance, if you go into Community (the Community tab at the top I mean), down a little ways is The Writer's Corner. Another one you might be particularily interested in, because of your essays, is Research.

Anyway, if you have any trouble finding your way around the site, or need any other kind of help, just let me know:)

Have a splendorous time checking everything out. I'm sure I'll be seeing you around:)

*adna*
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:36 pm
blacktiger3915 says...

Welcome! My name is Brooke aka blacktiger. Nice to meet you. It's good to see new faces here.

You like Science Fiction I see. Wow! I usually stay away from reading those. But I will make an exception if you write an excellent one.

Anyway, make sure you do two reviews before posting!

Have a great time here and best wishes on your upcoming works. Peace 8)
Don't send sheep to kill a wolf.

Reviews: 2
Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:15 pm
Minerva Scriptor says...

Thank you everyone for all of the advice and information! It's nice to feel welcome. There is definitely no need to worry about me using chat-speak. A simple 'u' instead of 'you', or 'i' instead of 'I' is enough to launch me into a long rant about the lack of respect people have for language.
As far as the writing I am working on now, it is probably going to go far beyond novel length, and well into the length of a series. (probably a trilogy) I am trying hard to give it the logic of science fiction, but in the end it will probably be more fantasy than science fiction. I can never quite keep the magic out of my writing. I am hoping that it will go quickly during the summer, but once school starts again, I have a feeling I will slow down dramatically.
I never tell anybody exactly how clever I am.
They would be too scared. ~Artemis Fowl

Accept the Truth.
If you don’t like it, Change it.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:17 pm
Tatra says...

Hello and welcome to YWS!!

You have very good tastes in books, and I have read all of your list. Although, I still haven't read some of the Fowl books. I'm not sure if it's just missing from your list, or not, but you should read The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper. :D They are one of the greatest series out there.

Your writing sounds interesting, scifi fantasy story. I started one of those, but got bored and stopped writing it. So, telling you that was absolutely pointless.

Have fun here at YWS, and I hope to see you around. Good luck with your writing!
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:52 am
niteowl says...

Hi Minerva! Good luck with that science fantasy series! You must have loads more patience than me. There's a reason why I only write poems these days...

Anyway, since you got the rules rundown, all I need to do now is give you your gift. Which I think I shall do right...........................................................now!

:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :elephant: :thud: :smt006 :smt035 :smt036 :smt026 :smt016 :smt024 :smt029 :smt027 :smt034 :smt031 :smt020 :smt032 :smt069 :smt038 :smt034 :smt116 :smt084 :smt044
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

"Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness."
— Bishop Desmond Tutu