z

Young Writers Society

Hey, There!

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:19 am
Meshugenah says...

There's no such thing as an overdose of books! If there was, they wouldn't let us who read too much major in lit ;)

But! Welcome to YWS! I would offer a crit, but I know I have very little time right now (gotta love 8-year-olds and science/art camp!), but if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to answer them! Lovecraft and Bradbury ftw, but McCaffrey? I'm beginning to think I just haven't read the right books of hers... I've read a couple, and I never really got all that in to them. Mayahaps a title trade shall be in order?

Anyhoo! Enjoy YWS, and do check out TWS! I'll see you around!

Bek
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:27 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

I really love the Dragonrider books - of course. :P Those are what she's most famous for, I think. I haven't read as much of her other sci-fi stuff, but I've enjoyed what little I have read, so I keep her on the list. Even though female sci-fi writers aren't nearly as much fun as the pervy-old-man sci-fi types like Piers Anthony and Robert Heinlein. XD

Oh, and thanks for the welcome. :)

...and I'm attending college as a non-degree-seeking student. How lame am I?
Frylock, please, no books! I can't read; I'm not a loser!
-Master Shake

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:43 pm
View Likes
Tatra says...

My favorite Ann McCaffrey books are the Harper Halls Trilogy: Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums. They're set within the Dragonrider universe, but they're more about the fire lizards. I love the fire lizards.

Also, I love McCaffery's book Decision at Doona, although I've only now just realized that it was her book. :D But, Decision at Doona is a great book, about humans colonizing a planet, that is already inhabited. The Terran government has a law, though--no contact with sentient creatures in the galaxy is allowed. Now they have a decision to make....

Yeah, I could describe that better, but it really is a great book. And the Harper Halls Trilogy is so beautiful; the fire lizards are so pretty when you use your imagination.

Of course, all four of my books were my mom's, so I have the '77-'80 printings. And, I must say, if you want to get into the classic scifi, you must read Andre Norton, she is the best. Also, The Godmakers by Frank Herbert; amazing book.

And I can ramble on and on about books, so I shall shut up now. :D
Some people fall in love and touch the sky.
Some people fall in love and find Quicksand.

- Incubus

47 Reviews

Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:11 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

I believe the Harper Hall trilogy was my introduction to the world of the Dragonriders, and a wonderful introduction it was! XD I've also read Decision at Doona; sometimes I like to go to the public library and just grab some books by my favorite authors that I haven't read yet. Piers Anthony is the best for this. He's written like a million books. Except half of them are out of print at this point. :(

Anyway, I've heard of Andre Norton... could you name any specifics? That name sounds damn familiar. For some reason, I can't get this one book out of my head, thinking about that name. It's about this kid and this cat, and some other animals... I don't know, I'm almost positive it's not the same person, and I'm just confusing myself. :P

EDIT:

Phillip K. Dick! Yeah!
-Master Shake

121 Reviews

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:17 pm
Tatra says...

I have a lot of books, :D . Just warning you, but they are good books.

Going back to McCaffery for a moment, have you read The Rowan? That's a good book, and another one I quite forgot was her work...

Now, onto Andre Norton, she wrote a lot of books. A lot of good books, though it's been a while since I've read some of them.

My favorite book of hers isn't a scifi book, but an adventure book. The Prince Commands is an awesome book, though.

Another awesome book is Merlin's Mirror, which is a great variation of the legend. I love this one.

Then there's Catseye, about an interplanetary pet shop which specializes in rare and unusual pets. The rarest and most unusual come from Earth. Of course, it's much more exciting than that, but that is the back cover.

Judgement on Janus is another good book, although it's been a while since I've read it. 'Naill Renfro is working as a slave laborer for the farm colonizers of Janus when he discovers a forbidden treasury which lures him into the planet's towering forests. There Naill is mysteriously transformed into the tree dweller Ayyar of Iftcan and fights a strange fight to regenerate the ancient race...' From the back of the book, :D .

The Jargoon Pard I've read more recently, about a guy who was given a belt that turned him into another shape. Yeah, that wasn't a good summary, but it's a pretty good book. And I figure you'll be seeing this in the library anyway, :D .

Then there's Moon of Three Rings and its sequel Exiles of of the Stars. Of kidnappings and transformations. And too long summaries on the back of the book, :D .

I've also got a few other scifi books to recommend, by different authors. Well, two scifi and two fantasy, and you might have read one of the fantasy ones...

The Trees of Zharka by Nancy Mackenroth. 'The Earth colonists were doomed in a grim tomorrow--until one man defied the powers that enslaved them! And the book is so much better than the burb. This is such a great book, one I've read over and over again.

The Lost Star by H.M. Hoover. 'Hidden in tomorrow's world are the secrets of the past.' Such a great book, about a girl discovering the secrets of a planet she finds herself at. And, yes, it's even better than these two summaries. :D

Now, onto fantasies. I wouldn't be surprised if you've read The Enchanted Forest Chronicles: Dealing with Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Calling on Dragons, and Talking to Dragons. If not, you really should read. Another series that I read over and over. :D

Also, Bronwyn's Bane by Elizabeth Scarborough is a great action fairy tale. Of a princess cursed to tell nothing but lies, her cousin, a less-than-fearless Gypsy lad, and a princess-turned-swan. A great read. :D

And now I shall stop bugging you with titles of old books. :D Can you tell that I like books? Enjoy.

- Incubus

47 Reviews

Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:35 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

Catseye! That's the one I was thinking of! And, of course, I own the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. And the Chronicles of Chrestomanci, irrelevantly. I haven't heard of any of those others, so I may have to see what our public library has to offer in that regard. Unfortunately, it's a small library, but I'm sure they'll have some of those.

Don't worry, I love books, too. Were I at home, I'd check my bookshelves and offer you some suggestions in return, but that will have to wait a while.

And, yes, I've read Rowan, and the one about her daughter, too. Or is it the other way around? Can't remember at the moment. Also The Shop Who Sang, though I can't remember with 100% certainty whether that was actually McCaffrey.

I'd suggest to you the Tamora Pierce books, but I'm sure you've probably already read them, or at least enough of them to decide whether you like them or not. I loved them to death when I was younger, but I was a little disappointed by the newer ones, starting with Trickster's Choice, or whichever one comes first. Still, I have all of them.
-Master Shake

121 Reviews

Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:25 pm
Tatra says...

I love Chrestomanci, :D , I think I love everything by Diana Wynne Jones. Her Dalemark Quartet is also one of my favorites. And I also love Tamora Pierce, especially the Circle books. I actually like the Trickster books, I like the characters. There's also the Beka Cooper books, which are interesting.

After by Francine Prose isn't a fantasy or scifi book, but it is good. It's creepy, in the fact that you never really learn what was happening. It is a good book. :D

And Robin McKinley! I love her Beauty and the Beast books. :D And The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown, also.

- Incubus

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:19 am
casey_kent says...

Hey there Professor Rabbit!!

Welcome to the AWESOME Young Writers Society!!

Wow, you sound that you're an amazing person. I would like to get to know you more!

But first of all, since you're new, you have to read the rules and FAQs before anything else. Also, we have a rule that states you have to make 2 reviews first before posting any of your works. We are very strict about this rule so please do not break it!

Anyway, if you have any questions/concerns or your are simply bored, feel free to PM(private message) me anytime!! Casey the AWESOME is here to your rescue at all times!!

Enjoy and have an AWESOME time!! See ya around!!

~Casey the AWESOME
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

47 Reviews

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:43 pm
ProfessorRabbit says...

I'm getting a little tired of having that rule quoted at me. *pout* I've posted two or three reviews already, and not a single work of my own. Lay off already. :(

'Course, I think I'm just getting generic replies for points here. :P

Anyway, Tatra, here's a couple:

The Diamond Age and Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Oh, the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper, have I mentioned those?
-Master Shake

121 Reviews

Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:07 am
Tatra says...

I wrote a lot of reviews before posting anything of my own, but there are some people who totally ignore the rules. I think that's become automatic for some greeters. :D

Good book suggestions, :D I haven't heard of Neal Stephenson before, but his books look interesting. :D I've read Watership Down before, a long time ago. I should reread that at some point, last time it took me a while to really get into it. I was really young at that point, though.

And, of course, I've read The Dark Is Rising Sequence, no one's library is complete without reading that. I think the Greenwitch is my favorite one, because I liked having them meet, and I also love the idea of Wild Magic. Then, I also like the last one, Silver on the Tree, is also one of my favorites. But, of course I love them all. :D

Have you read the Bartimaeus Trilogy? I don't think that they're my favorites, but they are good books. :D

- Incubus

It's hard to enjoy practical jokes when your whole life feels like one.
— Rick Riordan, The Last Olympian