Young Writers Society

Long Time Listener...

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:55 pm
Tharlam Gyatso says...

Greetings, Brothers and Sisters.

:roll:

My lovely wife (username Aneke) directed me to this website so I just had to sign up and take part in the fun and games.

What I have seen thus far has been most enjoyable and I look forward to sharing with and learning from the users present here.

A little about myself?

I write without being confined by style, format or genre. I am a wee bit of a rebel when it comes to putting pen to paper, even if I do say so myself.

Although the bulk of my work to date has been poetry and prose, I currently hold the beginnings of at least three separate, concrete novels -ranging from science fiction to young adult fiction.

As a dedicated and passionate Buddhist, much of what I write is subject to the undercurrents of spiritual and metaphysical pondering. At the best of times I feel this works to my advantage, at the worst...making me seem pretentious and stagnant.

All I can say is, per closing note: thank goodness there is a spell checker available on YWS.

Hope you are all well,

Dave Crofts Munro.

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:58 pm
moosiegirl says...

Hi! Welcome to YWS! This is the best place on the web to read, review, or submit your work. If you are interested in publishing, people here will critique your work, but may be overly friendly about it. Just capitalize your i's bc that drives us crazy. Hope to see you around. Happy writing!
"I don't know what to say, so I'll just say what's in my heart... Baboom, Baboom, Baboom."
--Mel Brooks

8 Reviews

Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:05 pm
Tharlam Gyatso says...

moosiegirl wrote:Hi! Welcome to YWS! This is the best place on the web to read, review, or submit your work. If you are interested in publishing, people here will critique your work, but may be overly friendly about it. Just capitalize your i's bc that drives us crazy. Hope to see you around. Happy writing!

Howdy.

What makes me think this beautiful welcome is an automated offering, from its head down to its toe?

:lol:

Thanks for the vote of confidence never the less.

Be well.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:17 pm
Sam says...

Psh, not so automated as guaranteed. :wink:

Welcome to YWS, Tharlam! Rebels are always welcome; we might not stage a counter-rebellion if you use that spell-check that you seem to be so fond of. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, though I'm sure Aneke can give you a few starting pointers, too.

You're a Buddhist? That's rather cool! If you get the chance, feel free to ramble about it to me. Buddhism is beautiful and fascinating. ^_^
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:21 pm
Adnamarine says...

Well kudos to Aneke for getting you here:D It truly is wonderful to have another addition to this place.
I suppose she'll also make sure you learn your way around here quite easily. You'll be a pro in no time:D
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:47 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Hi! Welecome to YWS!

Be sure to check out the help and support section at the top of the screen, and be sure to post two reviews before posting something of your own.

That was automated, I admit. And now I speak normally.

Three novels? That's how many I have going. The novel writing process is truely amazing, and I can only imagine how awesome it'll be to finish one.

Rebel, eh? Sounds cool. I might read some of your stuff, it sounds very interesting.

Buddism is a base for your work? Neat. Similarly, my faith (Christianity) provides inspiration for certain aspects of my writing. I consider myself a modern-day C.S. Lewis. If only I could write like him...

Ah, spell checker is pretty awesome indeed.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your time here!

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:54 pm
Fand says...

The only automated ones are the Greeters. They're the ones in blue.

Kidding, kidding! Er. Mostly. They do greet an awful lot of people; I guess it becomes habit after a while to type the same thing. Anyway, welcome to YWS! I hope you'll find it as welcoming as I have over the past few years. Also, since you're over eighteen, I feel the need to plug YWS's sister-site--The Writers Society. It's not quite as busy a place as YWS, but for us geriatric members, the quiet can be a nice change of pace. ;)

I second minxmama's offer for ramble-reception; I took a course on Buddhism a few semesters ago, and I feel like I just haven't learned enough! I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it's reflected in your works; my beliefs tend to trickle through mine as well, and it's always intriguing to see how things like this affect a writer's craft.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:12 am
Meshugenah says...

Emmy's right, it is interesting to see how belief trickles down through writing (and reading! I know I hadn't thought about it until freshman English in HS where we had to read a Chaim Potok book, and I was one of the only members of the entire honors section that knew anything about Judaism -- but it's what I was raised with).

Anyway! Welcome to YWS! And I'll second Emmy's second plus, check out TWS! It is rather slow right now, but I'm betting it's because the slightly younger adult crowd (ok, so us college kids) are out for the summer, and thus must work!

If you have any questions about YWS (or want to write an ode to spell-checkers -- I love the one here and on firefox), hit me up! I'm more than happy to help!

See ya!

Bek
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:18 am
Teague says...

*squeaks* A Buddhist! Ooh, you must teach me a few things. :D Such a fascinating and lovely religion. I'd be over the moon to learn about it from a believer. ^_^

Anyway, welcome to YWS! I'm Saint Razorblade, but you can refer to me as Saint or Teague, it doesn't matter. Or whatever name you find fitting. I's not picky. :P

Hope you enjoy it here! If you have any questions, feel free to let me know! I also offer critiques on prose pieces. Or if you just want to ramble about Buddhism to me. ;)

Ta!

-Saint Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:59 am
Aneke says...

Heya, punk!

Yeah, he's the mature one out of the two of us...or so it seems...

Welcome, anyways. It feels kind of funny to welcome somebody when I've only been here for like three days. But I will. I hope you have fun here; I know it's been a while since you (or either of us) found a fun place on the web so hopefully this will work out. Also I hope it makes you WRITE MORE. ;) Even if it's just a side effect!

-Alicia.

8 Reviews

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:55 am
Tharlam Gyatso says...

Sam wrote:
You're a Buddhist? That's rather cool! If you get the chance, feel free to ramble about it to me. Buddhism is beautiful and fascinating. ^_^

I am free and willing to answer any questions you may have.

I look forward to it.

Hope you are well.

:)

thunder_dude7 wrote:
Anyway, hope you enjoy your time here!

I am quite certain that I will.

I look forward to reading some of the latest by the Young Writer's very own C.S Lewis.

Fandilocks wrote:
I second minxmama's offer for ramble-reception; I took a course on Buddhism a few semesters ago, and I feel like I just haven't learned enough! I'm very much looking forward to seeing how it's reflected in your works; my beliefs tend to trickle through mine as well, and it's always intriguing to see how things like this affect a writer's craft.

Then it seems we are set to have an interesting time ahead of us!

I shall get around to experiencing some of your work soon.

Meshugenah wrote:Anyway! Welcome to YWS! And I'll second Emmy's second plus, check out TWS! It is rather slow right now, but I'm betting it's because the slightly younger adult crowd (ok, so us college kids) are out for the summer, and thus must work!

Well I certainly will try this sister site to YWS. Slow has never been a problem for me. I see it as more "going with the flow".

Thank you for taking the time to welcome me.

Saint Razorblade wrote:Anyway, welcome to YWS! I'm Saint Razorblade, but you can refer to me as Saint or Teague, it doesn't matter. Or whatever name you find fitting. I's not picky

Ha-ha. Greetings to you, Teague. It is a pleasure to meet you.

I appreciate your welcome and the offer of assistance if and when required.

I shall enjoy rambling with you.

Aneke wrote:Heya, punk!

Yeah, he's the mature one out of the two of us...or so it seems...

Welcome, anyways. It feels kind of funny to welcome somebody when I've only been here for like three days. But I will. I hope you have fun here; I know it's been a while since you (or either of us) found a fun place on the web so hopefully this will work out. Also I hope it makes you WRITE MORE. ;) Even if it's just a side effect!

-Alicia.

Hey baby.

:wink:

I am sure we shall enjoy ourselves here and if it makes us BOTH write more, it can not be a bad thing in the long run.

Thanks for the welcome, kitten.

Love ya.

x

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:55 am
casey_kent says...

Hey there!!

Welcome to YWS(Young Writers Society)!!

Tis an AWESOME site so you will surely enjoy!

Please don't forget to read the FAQs and the rules first before anything else! Also, before you post some of your works, please make 2 reviews first.

Feel free to PM(private message) me if you have any questions/concerns about the site!

Enjoy and have an AWESOME time!

See ya around!

~Casey the AWESOME
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

183 Reviews

Reviews: 183
Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:24 pm
LoveableLittleSock says...

Hiya there! First and foremost, I hope you have an utterly fabulous time her on YWS. It seems you'll blend right in with all the writing you've allegedly done. We've got tons of forums dedicated to all types of poetry, ranging from lyrical to narrative to other. Other maybe be where you want to start, looking at your rebel-ness and all. We welcome rebels really, and a lot of us are rebels... so... I'm unsure if rebel would be the right term for anything here...

ANYWAY, your novels sound like they'll be a big hit. And if you've written enough, there's an "Advanced Critique" forum down by the "Writing" tab. There, you can post your most up-to-date piece of work (must be over 5000 words), and people will read and devour every single piece of it. Hope to see you there, and make sure to read the rules and FAQ before you post!

Buddhism, huh? I'm not the smartest person around when it comes to religion, my family's ethnicity being Jewish, and we celebrate Christmas... but I've always been interested in that specific topic. If you like to rant on it's beliefs and practices and such and such, I encourage you to do so! Like Saint Razorblade and Sam, we'd love to hear what you've got to say.

Before I go, let me just explain the point system to you. I like to explain it to all the new members:

You see, Nate made us this fantastic rule called, "review twice, post once." It's not strictly enforced, as if you run out of points you can just wait until the end of the two week mark and post a little more. But, here's how it works: the highest amount of points you can get for one post is 50, because we don't want spammers getting 1000 for copying and pasting "hi" twelve thousand times. You can earn these points by reviewing other peoples work or posting in forums that contribute to helping others, like this one.

You can lose points by posting some work yourself, like poetry, stories, photographs, anything really. Regular stories and poems and such cost 100 points a pop, but if you post like, in the Advanced Critique section (like I mentioned earlier), it's going to run you 500 points. Also, to determine the member of the week, everybody's points are reset every two weeks to 350 (or 300, I don't remember). I got all freaked out when I had like, 4000 points and the next day it was 350. Gar.

So anyway, have an awesome time here on YWS and I hope I'll be seeing you and your work around more! And if you have any questions, comments, or cries of outrage, PM me. I'm seriously more than happy to help you.

~*Sara*~
Got YWS?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:51 pm
niteowl says...

Hi and welcome! *tries to come up with something that hasn't already been said* Um...good luck finishing those three novels! I have no patience, so I gave up on novel-writing long ago. I bet you can do it, though! Charlie? Anything to add?

WELCOME THARLAM GYATSO!!!!!!! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S YOUR GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :elephant: :thud: :smt006 :smt035 :smt036 :smt026 :smt016 :smt024 :smt029 :smt027 :smt034 :smt031 :smt020 :smt032 :smt069 :smt038 :smt034 :smt116 :smt084 :smt044
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

8 Reviews

Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:33 am
Tharlam Gyatso says...

niteowl wrote:Hi and welcome! *tries to come up with something that hasn't already been said* Um...good luck finishing those three novels! I have no patience, so I gave up on novel-writing long ago. I bet you can do it, though! Charlie? Anything to add?

WELCOME THARLAM GYATSO!!!!!!! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S YOUR GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :elephant: :thud: :smt006 :smt035 :smt036 :smt026 :smt016 :smt024 :smt029 :smt027 :smt034 :smt031 :smt020 :smt032 :smt069 :smt038 :smt034 :smt116 :smt084 :smt044

Ha-ha!

That was quite a welcome!

Thank you all. It has been a pleasure meeting you.

"I think; therefore, I am."
— RenĂ© Descartes