z

Young Writers Society

Hello there!

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:01 pm
olivia1987uk says...

Hey everybody!

I've just joined and haven't a clue what to expect from this place. Having read the welcome message and realising that I have to review before I submit anything for review myself I probably need a helping hand from some of you to get sorted.

Anyone fancy it?

I'm Olivia by the way!

xxx

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:39 pm
Demeter says...

Hey Olivia!

Welcome to YWS! I usually go by name Demeter, but there are all kinds of cool nicknames floating around. :D

You're right; it's recommended to do two reviews before posting one's own writings. Other helpful things you'll find in the About section, like Rules and FAQ. And if there's something else you'd like to know but can't find anywhere, just PM me and I'll see what I can do. All of this might seem very difficult, but it's after all pretty easy after you've gotten started.

What do you like read or write? Favourite authors? Tell us more about yourself.

So, I hope you'll stick around, this place is so great! :D And remember to PM me if there are any problems. See you around!

Best wishes,
Demeter xx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

197 Reviews

Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:47 pm
olivia1987uk says...

Hey thanks for your reply!

Oh I'll definitely stick around...there's a lovely atmosphere!

I'm currently writing a semi-autobiographical fictiony thing...contradiction in terms but it seems to work and you'll see what I mean eventually!

Favourite authors include Jodi Picoult and Patrick Redmond but I'll pretty much read anything put in front of me!

How about yourself?

xxx

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:06 pm
Alainna says...

Hey there and welcome to YWS!!

Ah, it's normal to be a bit confused by YWS at first - it's a big site and can get a bit busy, but once you're used to it you're fine.

Now, the people with light blue names are Greeters - we're here to answer any of your initial questions. As Demeter said, you should check out the FAQ's and Guide as they really do help. If you still have any questions then don't hesitate to pm me and I'll be more than happy to help. If you want to see how to critique something then scroll through some people's work and look at the critiques that others have given - especially Instructors (purple) and Mods (green).

You like Picoult? What's your favourite book of hers? I loved My Sister's Keeper but found Mercy a tad.....dull?

All the best and I hope you like it here.

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

197 Reviews

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:12 pm
olivia1987uk says...

Thanks for your reply my dear! I'll be sure to read the guide and FAQs asap.

I love Picoult yeah...Mercy is probably my least favourite book of hers. My Sister's Keeper is the one that initially got me hooked!

My favourite is her most recent, but I say this everytime she brings a new book out! Change of Heart - about the prisoner on death row... Absolutely brilliant...the character of Shay Bourne was amazingly detailed and it truly does tear you up inside. Your morals are given a real shake up to say the least!

xxx

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:09 pm
.:Echelon:. says...

Hi and welcome to yws hope you enjoy this site its additive.
Every rose has it's thorn..
Just like every night has it's dawn.

I've matured a lot and I realised it was time to come back.. for good!

197 Reviews

Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:48 pm
olivia1987uk says...

Lol, I can tell already!!!

xxx

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:02 pm
Demeter says...

olivia1987uk wrote:Hey thanks for your reply!

Oh I'll definitely stick around...there's a lovely atmosphere!

I'm currently writing a semi-autobiographical fictiony thing...contradiction in terms but it seems to work and you'll see what I mean eventually!

Favourite authors include Jodi Picoult and Patrick Redmond but I'll pretty much read anything put in front of me!

How about yourself?

xxx

Well, I write mostly fiction, but also some poems. And I have loads of favourite authors (well, at least books). I like Jane Austen and Charlotte Brontë, these classics, but I also like Finnish-Swedish Tove Jansson (have you heard of her?) and Jacqueline Wilson, to a point. J.K. Rowling goes, too. There are still many left... :D
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

197 Reviews

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:19 pm
olivia1987uk says...

No I haven't heard of Tove Jansson but now you've given me an excuse to buy something from amazon, are there any specific titles you suggest?

xxx

183 Reviews

Reviews: 183
Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:47 pm
LoveableLittleSock says...

Hello, Olivia! I'm sure you'll be having a wonderful time here on YWS. You see, one of the main reason's the "review twice, post once" rule is there is because we don't want people not reviewing anybody's work, and expecting their pieces to get above-and-beyond critiques. I'm sure that's not the case with you, but you'll be surprised at how many people do believe in that philosophy.

Looking at your posts, I see you've got an eye for romantic fiction. Great, the more romance fans, the merrier. If you do indeed like romance, you'll love the storybooks. You can find the storybook forum under "Writing," "Read and Review," and it's the second-to-last thread. Sara, what's a storybook? A storybook is a story somebody starts and leaves everybody else to finish it. For example, I begin a storybook for 500 points. I spell out the plot, the time/place, and specific characters if necessary. I can also assign a specific genre, and if there is a specific genre ever assigned, it's usually romance. I'll give you a quick example:
I first post, "Sally swings her purse from side to side, taking in her surroundings. Her eyes moved from store to store, meaningfully searching every window she spots." You post, "Alex shuddered as his older sister gripped his hand. He would very much be rather spending time with his friends, or checking out that new girl on the block. He sighed as his gaze shifted from the sidewalk to the young woman thoughtfully strolling towards them." If you still have no idea what I'm talking about, check out the forum for yourself.

About the posting thing - if you didn't already know, there's a point system. Every two weeks YWS resets every members points to 300 to determine member of the week (you can see it on the homepage). How do I get points? How do I lose points? You get points from reviewing other people's work, and posting in forum's that help others (like I'm getting points for posting in this forum). The highest amount of points you can get for one post is 50, because YWS doesn't want spammers getting 1000 points for copying and pasting, "hi."
The way you lose points is posting a piece, like a poem or a story. And if you choose to get into storybooks, it's 5 points a post. When you post a poem or a story (or a photograph, or a memoir), you lose 100 points. Really, it's "you just lost 150 points, but you gained 50!" because, like I said, you can get 50 for a post. On rare occasions, if your story/poem is really short, you'll lose 150 points, and gain 49 or less, resulting in losing a bit more than 100.

So, anyway, I hope you have an awesome time at YWS! If you have any questions at all, PM me. I'm be happy to help you!

~*Sara*~
Got YWS?

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:56 am
casey_kent says...

Hey there!!

Welcome to YWS(Young Writers Society)!!

Tis an AWESOME site so you will surely enjoy!

Please don't forget to read the FAQs and the rules first before anything else! Also, before you post some of your works, please make 2 reviews first.

Feel free to PM(private message) me if you have any questions/concerns about the site!

Enjoy and have an AWESOME time!

See ya around!

~Casey the AWESOME
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

197 Reviews

Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:05 am
olivia1987uk says...

Really touched by everyone's friendliness...will be sure to check out that storybook thread and see what I think...

Bit disheartened that nobody has reviewed my work yet though!!

If ya do wanna see it is called Number 25 and its in the romance fiction thread

Olivia
xxx
Olivia
xxx
If you wake up in the morning and all you can think of is writing, then you're a writer...

Random avatar

Reviews: 21
Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:12 pm
Antares says...

Hello Olivia! I'm sure you're gonna love this place. You'll be hooked in no time, it really is addictive.

olivia1987uk wrote:Bit disheartened that nobody has reviewed my work yet though!!

If ya do wanna see it is called Number 25 and its in the romance fiction thread

Oh! I've started reviewing it but I've saved it as a draft for the moment. I might get it done by today. Whether it will be of any use to you or not is another story.

Like I've said, you'll love this place! I'm new-ish and, trust me, it doesn't take long to get settled in. I've already annoyed my fair share of users. :P

Take care and hopefully I'll see you around the forums!

:D

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham