z

Young Writers Society

Greetings, foolish mortals!

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:35 pm
Witch Hazel says...

'Ello =D! I'm Hazel, and I hail from The Smallest Village You Have Ever Seen In Your Life in England.
I don't have an ambition to write as a single career, but I still love writing. Regardless of genre or completeness, it all goes in my cleverly purloined banana yellow excercise book.
My other favoured pastimes include music, sailing, drawing, reading and comparing politicians to various aquatic creatures :).
I'm also a sea cadet, which means I fequently get yelled at by men in blue shirts.
And I love maps! Especially ones of Antarctica.
So, that's me for all you lovely, slightly scary and very clever people!
And how was your day?
No. 60: Don't build an elaborate machine that could accidentally hurl you into the white hot heart of the sun.
~ Don't Arm Wrestle a Pirate: 101 Really Bad Ideas

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:42 pm
Emerson says...

Welcome to YWS Hazel! May I call you Hazel?

If you have any questions regarding YWS or need help finding something on the site, feel free to message me! What genres are your favorite to write in, and to read? And, hehe, what is a sea cadet?

I hope you enjoy the site! It's a great place to make a lot of friends, and we're all really lovely people.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:44 pm
View Likes
Layleun says...

:) Welcome to YWS Hazel. I'm Lupe and it's nice to have you here. From what I've heard in that little paragraph, you sound like you'll fit right in with us ^.^. We are a bit more than slightly scary, I must warn you, but we're fun. As for clever, you couldn't have picked a better word. Most people here are probably the smartest people you will ever meet. Some like to screw with your mind so watch out for that =P. My day was fine, by the way. A little too hot for my liking but fun.

Welcome to the family,
Lupe

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:47 pm
Snoink says...

LOL! The way you said, "Smallest village" reminds me of "Hot Fuzz", that one movie. So yeah... I am getting weird images. But still! It's awesome how you like to sail. All the cute guys are sailors anyway, so you made a good choice of picking your friends. :) Or... maybe I am just supremely shallow.

Anyway, there's a lot of writers here who have different intended professions than writing. I am a student studying biochemical engineering, our admin is studying to be a lawyer, and only a couple are actually intending to be professional writers. It's quite funny, actually! But we're glad to see you anyway. :)

Check out THE RULES and have fun! Will we be seeing any seafaring adventures from you in the future, perhaps, or do you write a different genre? :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:35 am
Sam says...

Hey, Witch Hazel. ^_^

Oh my goodness! Silly politicians. I still have yet to figure out what Brown looks like. XD

One of my friends' dads lives in Antarctica for part of the year. I'll try and link you to an especially fabulous map--because maps are awesome sauce.

Random responses aside, welcome to YWS! I do hope I'll get to see some of your writing soon. PM me if you have any questions about the site, or life in general. I'm about as useful as a Magic Eight ball when it comes to the latter, but you never know.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:07 am
casey_kent says...

Hey there Hazel!!

Welcome to YWS!

Tis an AWESOME site so you will surely enjoy!

Feel free to PM(private message) me if you have any questions/concerns about the site!

Enjoy and have an AWESOME time!

See ya around!

~Casey the AWESOME
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:48 am
Demeter says...

Greetings, Hazel!

Welcome to YWS! I'm Demeter. You have described us perfectly: lovely, slightly scary and very clever people! And now you're one, too. Mwahaha. And my day's great, thank you. What about yours?

You have a wonderful name. It reminds me of Catcher in the Rye (have you read it?), because the MC's sister writes stories about a girl named Hazel, except that she spells it "Hazle". It just popped into my mind.

I love maps too! I have maps of Ireland, Paris and Deep South of USA on my wall. They're really beautiful. And I have a T-shirt with London Tube Map in the front. It's cool.

So what genre you like to read and write? Any favourite authors?

By the way, the Rules and Guides along with FAQ are really helpful. Wink, wink.

So, have a superb time around YWS and PM me if there is anything concerning your little head. :) I'll see you!

Best wishes
Demeter xx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:20 pm
Witch Hazel says...

Whoo! Hi all.
Thanks for the warm welcome ^^. I shall snuggle into the warmth and feel wanted.
In answer to your questions:
I love any genre of books really, but I suppose I mostly read fantasy and historical. Pretty much anything goes for writing.
Authors...hmm. Stuart Hill, Tanith Lee, Jonathen Stroud to name but a few.
And a sea cadet is...heh, it's hard to explain. It's sort of like a sailing and watersports group, but we use the ranking system, traditions and uniform of the navy. More fun than it sounds xD. We have a game called Pirates, the aim of which is basically to kick the other people out of their boat
Awesome sauce...sounds almost as cool as lairy sauce!
Good to see some fellow map and sailing enthusiasts ^^.
No. 60: Don't build an elaborate machine that could accidentally hurl you into the white hot heart of the sun.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:11 pm
blacktiger3915 says...

Welcome Hazal. I'm Brooke or aka blacktiger3915. My day was good thank you. Anyway, great having you and hope that your works will be outstanding! See you on the flip side. Peace. 8)
Don't send sheep to kill a wolf.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:18 am
Firearris says...

Hello Hazel, and Welcome to YOUNG WRITERS SOCIETY!!!!!!!! I'm Fire, Arris, Firearris, FA, or you can make something up. What hobbies do you have? What do you read? Do you have any pets? Tell us more!

Here are some good links:

Contact & Staff: A List of people you can contact for help if needed, (mods and admins), this list is a bit old, but you can still contact most of the people on it. contact.php

Rules & Guides A List of rules, and also some guides. I suggest you go through this so you know what you can and can't do on here, and the guides can be loads of help! I sometimes wish I knew about them when I joined XD rules.php

FAQ Frequently Asked Questions! You may have a problem, and you might be able to find the answer here. faq.php

Also, here is a color list:

Blue Name = Greeters.

Purple Name = Instructors.

Light Green = Junior Moderator.

Dark Green = Moderators.

Red = Admins.

Feel Free to PM me if you want a crit, or you need any help!

~Arris
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:34 am
View Likes
Jennafina says...

Hey! Who are you calling 'foolish mortal', Newbie?!

Haha, I'm joking. Welcome to YWS! It's cool to see another boating fan. I'm helping teach a sailing class as a summer job. What type of boats do you use? (My class uses 420 centerboard sailboats.)

Did you read the Bartimeus books? I absolutely love those. Fantasy is my favorite genre to read, so if you decide to post one of your fantasy stories, send me a PM!

I hope you like the site! I'm always available if you've got any questions. I'm pretty YWS-obsessed, so I'll get back to you quick if you message me. ;)

Jenna
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

Random avatar

Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:01 pm
Witch Hazel says...

Yay! I shall snuggle further into welcoming warmth.

Thanks for the links ^^.

Yesh, I have read the Bartimaeus books. They're awesome!
We use dinghies (sp?), mainly Picos and Toppers, but sometimes we get to use the power boats...mwahaha...

Every time our next guest is here, all of our lives are seriously in danger.
— David Letterman