z

Young Writers Society

Hey all!

Reviews: 2
Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:42 pm
Waltz of the Flowers says...

Hey guys!

Yes, I've got the "total newb" stamp written all over my forehead, but I'm glad to have joined this site! A friend linked me here and it looks really great.

A little about myself: my name is Allie and I live in the United States. As one might guess, I love writing and aspire to make it into my profession one day. I really hope to build up my skills as a writer and become more developed through the critiques and experiences I have here. It looks like a great community; a part of me is wondering why I didn't discover it sooner.

Although I love every form of writing, fiction writing and script writing are my absolute favorites. I am definitely going to try and step a bit out-of-bounds after I've assimilated a bit better here.

Hope to see everybody around the boards and feel free to let me in on a few tips or tricks to get me situated here.

Allie

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:27 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

Hello. My names Amber. Nice to meet you.

At the bottom of the main pages is info for who's on line, what color on a name stand for what, and I think a few other things like birthdays.

At the bottom of other threads are other info which tells you if a piece is new or has been posted in.

Okay before hand make two reviews and then post a work of yours. It helps other's things get reviewed of that makes any sense.
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:47 pm
Emerson says...

Hello Allie! I have to say, I adore your username. It has a nice ring. And, we don't have newbs here, we just have new members who we love and cherish and annoy. ^_^

If you have any questions about the site, or get a little lost, feel free to PM me and ask! What genre of fiction do you write? I've played around with scripts a bit myself. Even got my schools theater troupe to produce a short one! ^_~

Hope to see you around the site more! And if you would like a critique on your work, go ahead and Pm me! If it's not too long and I'm not too busy, it'll get done. I hope you enjoy the site!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:10 pm
Firearris says...

Hello Allie, and Welcome to YOUNG WRITERS SOCIETY!!!!!!!! I'm Fire, Arris, Firearris, FA, or you can make something up. What hobbies do you have? What do you read? Do you have any pets? Tell us more!

Here are some good links:

Contact & Staff: A List of people you can contact for help if needed, (mods and admins), this list is a bit old, but you can still contact most of the people on it. contact.php

Rules & Guides A List of rules, and also some guides. I suggest you go through this so you know what you can and can't do on here, and the guides can be loads of help! I sometimes wish I knew about them when I joined XD rules.php

FAQ Frequently Asked Questions! You may have a problem, and you might be able to find the answer here. faq.php

Also, here is a color list:

Blue Name = Greeters.

Purple Name = Instructors.

Light Green = Junior Moderator.

Dark Green = Moderators.

Red = Admins.

Feel Free to PM me if you want a crit, or you need any help!

~Arris
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:30 am
Poor Imp says...

Hullo Allie. ^_^ Welcome to YWS--I'm Imp, if that wasn't abundantly apparent before.

What type of fiction do you like then? Have you got a genre you prefer--or favourite author? I rather think I might never have gotten into writing had I not read Tolkien. But then, Dostoyevsky was too brilliant for me to trapped in the fantasy labyrinth. ^_^

Anyhow, welcome again. If you've any questions, feel free to PM me. And, er, tips... If you critique, you'll make the best sorts of connections and get more responses to your own work. ^_^

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:15 am
Snoink says...

Eek! You're planning on becoming a professional writer. How cool! Hopefully, we'll be able to help you a lot on your journey towards that. ^_^

So! Are you working on any projects currently? Spill the details!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:19 am
Sam says...

XD Don't worry, the Total Newb Stamp Wash-Off Kit comes with every membership.

Nice to meet you, Allie! I'm Sam (as you could probably tell from the thing to your left...) Feel free to PM/lunge in my general direction if you have any questions or want me to take a look at something you've written. ^_^

Hope to see you around the boards!
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:11 am
Demeter says...

Hi Allie!

Welcome to YWS! I'm Demeter, and I've just got to say that your username is really inspiring. And your avatar goes well with it, too. But maybe that's the point? :D

So, this is YWS. A great place, as you said – and as you probably will notice over and over again. One of the greatest things about here is that you can actually get good, honest and constructive reviews. Not just the basic "I loved this xxxxx" stuff. I've been a member for a month or so (have I really? I always forget) and already I've developped as a reviewer. I don't know whether it's a good thing or not, but I have started to review (on my mind) everything I read even outside the YWS! Accidentally, of course. I just find myself criticizing for example Anthony Horowitz or something. It's pretty annoying, really.

I hope to get to read your stuff asap – but remember to do AT LEAST two reviews before posting it. Can you PM me when you've posted some?

Also, if you ever need anything from reviews to apple pie recipes, just PM me and I'll be there! Enjoy your time!

Best regards from
Demeter xx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Wow, so many lovely responses! Thank you, everybody, for making me feel so welcome!

ambercoultis: Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to follow your guidelines. Good start for me to get to know my way around the site!

Suzanne: Aw, thank you! I adore Tchaikovsky's ballet so much; I've been dancing since I was three and performed in The Nutcracker twice. I write all sorts of fiction, although I love psychological drama and historical fiction the best. When I'm in the proper mood, I can churn out a decent romance. How neat about your script getting produced; I once wrote a ten-minute play that was performed by my acting class last October, I believe. Thanks again!

Firearris:
Love the enthusiastic welcome! Hobbies include writing (who would've guessed?), dancing, musical theater, and swimming. I read all types of books but some of my favorite authors include Stephen King, Jane Austen, and Oscar Wilde. I do wish I could own a pet but unfortunately, those I live with are afraid of animals or have severe allergies. I am a total animal lover, though, and once desired to be a veterinarian. Thanks so much for the resourceful links and nifty key for colors!

Poor Imp: Thanks for the greeting; I read a grand variety of genres but I adore psychological drama and plays the very best. Tolkien is an immensely talented writer, I must say! I appreciate the tips and will surely use take advantage of them.

Snoink: Thanks, yes, I do aspire to write professionally one day. Hopefully that won't pan out like the other career aspirations I've had. Currently, I'm trying to plan out the plot for a new psychological drama so hopefully I'll be able to develop it into a story before long and post it on here. I'm quite anxious to read what others have written; I adore reading just as much as writing!

Sam: Oh, thank goodness. I was worried it would stick out obtrusively for the rest of my tenure here. Thanks so much for the welcome; I'll be sure to take you up on your offer!

Demeter: Thanks, yes, I did want avatar/username to match well (as I'm obsessive with everything matching) but I love both the Waltz of the Flowers and hummingbirds, so it worked out well in my favor. That's excellent to hear that good, quality criticism is prominent here at YWS. I'm rather critical myself, so I get where you're coming from! Thank you yet again for your lovely offer!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:18 pm
Emerson says...

Suzanne: Aw, thank you! I adore Tchaikovsky's ballet so much; I've been dancing since I was three and performed in The Nutcracker twice. I write all sorts of fiction, although I love psychological drama and historical fiction the best. When I'm in the proper mood, I can churn out a decent romance. How neat about your script getting produced; I once wrote a ten-minute play that was performed by my acting class last October, I believe. Thanks again!

Historical fiction! What era do you write? I have two novels that are historical fiction, currently. One is set during the '20s, England, and the other is during WWII, Poland. I'd be curious to see your psychological dramas. ^_^ You're a terribly interesting person, and I really do hope to see you around more!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:49 pm

Oh, how lovely! I love all sort of historical fiction but I particularly like the French Revolution and the Roaring Twenties. I'm apt to write about any era I have a good foundation for although I'm never impartial to researching. I'll definitely have to check out your two novels; both sound rather fascinating!

I plan on starting a psychological drama fairly soon; my mood is desiring one at the moment . . .

Thank you very much! I do hope to see you around as well!

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
— Woodrow Wilson