z

Young Writers Society

Hola y'all

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Sun May 11, 2008 7:02 pm
Muteman says...

Hey, I've been looking around the web to try to find a worthy poetry/writing forum. This one looked promising so here I am. Wondering about something though. I got a welcome message, and in it it said that if anyone chews you out, they'll get reprimanded, or something along those lines. I mean, can we be honest in our reviews? Not flaming exactly, but saying you didn't like this or that part? Would that be a no-no? I rather like getting reamed on reviews, helps me.

On a totally seperate note, any fellow New Englanders here that got accepted to the New England Yung Writers Retreat or whatever in Vermont this weekend?

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun May 11, 2008 7:07 pm
Church says...

you are allowed to not like others works. The thing is you have to not hurt others feeling when you are telling them *EX don't tel them you hated every bit of and that they should consider burning it until not even ash is left. now thats a big no-no. Well, Welcome to YWS and I hope I was helpful there. Then again what I told you was common sence and can be found in any forum on this site. If you have any other questions or need help with anything feel free to PM me!

Church
-"When God gives you lemons, you find new God" YouTube.com
-If the world is going to end soon, so be it. It can end without me. Myself
-http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?p=364993#364993 When the World Stops Spinning

Random avatar

Sun May 11, 2008 7:09 pm
Muteman says...

Alright, sounds groovy, thanks. Oh yeah, what's the whole points thing? Said you could buy stuff with points?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun May 11, 2008 7:10 pm
Dr. Jamie Bondage says...

Hey! Welcome to YWS!

To answer your first question: Yes, you can be honest. But honest and brutal are two different things. you can give constructive criticism, but try not to just say, "This is the most horrible thing I have every read!" Or something like it.

Anyways, have any more questions, feel free to pm me!

Jamie

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun May 11, 2008 7:16 pm
Church says...

you need like 150 points to post a work and you get points by reviewing others works. It costs 5 per storybook post and about 500 i think to make a new Storybook. It just went up so I can't remember what I read right now.

Church
-"When God gives you lemons, you find new God" YouTube.com
-If the world is going to end soon, so be it. It can end without me. Myself
-http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?p=364993#364993 When the World Stops Spinning

Random avatar

Sun May 11, 2008 7:23 pm
Muteman says...

Oh alright, thanks guys(and girl)

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Sun May 11, 2008 7:47 pm
Adnamarine says...

Hiya! Welcome to YWS!

I believe the above answered your first question, no? As to you other question, about the points. In some places of the forum it costs you points to post, for instance in the storybook forum. It also costs 150 points to post some of your own work in the literary forums (although you also can earn up to 50 points for those posts). For that reason, at least partly, our illustrious admin asks that you keep reviews of others' work versus your own works-posted at a 2:1 ratio.

A good place to start out here is the FAQ. It has lots of helpful information.

Glad you found us, and I hope you stick around... not that you can really help it... this place is far too addicting to ever leave it:D

If you ever want a review, let me know:D

*adna*
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

Random avatar

Sun May 11, 2008 7:58 pm
Muteman says...

Sure, sounds groovy. By far the nicest bunch I've met on one of these. I'll probably put something o' mine up tonight.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon May 12, 2008 12:50 pm
Demeter says...

Yeah, sure do, I'd like to have a look on it!

Well, the others have already answered your questions but that doesn't prevent me from saying: Welcome, Muteman!!! I found this site just like you did, googling around and then ta-dah! I found this! Okay, you didn't say anything about googling but I was just supposing. :)

Anyways, enjoy your time here and ask me if you ever need anything, i.e. reviews!

All the best
Demeter
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Mon May 12, 2008 6:55 pm
mizz-iceberg says...

Hello Muteman! Yes we are a friendly bunch! :D And welcome aboard. I'm looking forward to reading your writing and getting to see you around the site. Hope you have lots of fun and if you ever need help, feel free to PM me.

-Mizz Iceberg
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

Random avatar

Mon May 12, 2008 7:44 pm
Muteman says...

Oh yeah, didn't see anywhere else to ask this, so I'll throw it out here. How does one exactly get on the front page? I've seen a few things up, some good, some not so good. Is it random or what?

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Mon May 12, 2008 7:55 pm
Alainna says...

Hola and welcome to YWS!! *hands out muffins*

As to your question, all rated work, except R rated work automatically appears on the front page. There is also a featured member on the front page, which is what you can achieve by collecting points; mainly from critiques. Don't worry about being a harsh critiquer - we have several on YWS. Just try to always be constructive and people should be thankful for your help.

If you do need anything then feel free to pm me and I'll be happy to help you out.

Good luck with your writing and I hope you like it here.

See you,
Alainna
xxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Mon May 12, 2008 8:03 pm
JFW1415 says...

Don't worry - most people rather have harsh critiques than fluffy ones. And if they don't, they can leave and go to fictionpress.

Anyways, welcome to the site! You didn't tell us much - what should we call you? What do you like to write? To read? To eat? To sing?

Be random - it's a rule. :lol:

I've never heard of that retreat, although I am in New England. Mind PMing me the link to the website? I'd like to check it out.

PM me with any questions, or if you would like a critique. I don't bite (often.) Haha, but seriously, I love getting PMs. :P

~JFW1415

Random avatar

Mon May 12, 2008 8:20 pm
View Likes
Muteman says...

Not really the greatest website, but yeah, here it is. Got a few pretty good authors and poets. Uhm, Tom Paine, and David Surette'll be there if you know them. (Surette isn't leading or teaching or nothing though)
https://seguecommunity.middlebury.edu/i ... site=neywc

So, you want to know about me...

Name's Brian, so you can call me Mute, or Brian, if you remember. I write mostly short stories, but not alot. I just recently started to write things of any merit. I would like to get more into poetry as a whole also. I was born just outside of Boston, lived on Cape Cod for awhile, and now live a ways south of Bosotn. Uhm, like swimming, writing, reading. All the good ol' highschool guy stuff. Not really into sports, but I keep in shape and whatnot. And yeah, an extremely cynical kinda guy (get it from my french roots) and on the other hand, I find myself to be a romantic, against my wishes. Dunno if that's my other half (British) talking or what...

But yeah, me in a nutshell.

119 Reviews

Reviews: 119
Mon May 12, 2008 9:16 pm
SimonCowellLuver says...

Hello I haven't seen you around. Welcome to YWS!! It is awesome. I guess you know that already huh? Well I am SimonCowellLuver. SCL for short. Nice to see you description. Have Fun!!!

:arrow: :idea: :?: :!: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :cry: :oops: :P :x :shock: :? 8) :lol: :o :( :) :D :smt001 :smt010 :smt019 :smt002 :smt017 :smt031 :smt032 :smt059 :smt051 :smt035 :smt024 :smt026 :smt087 :smt077 :smt092 :smt102 :smt111 :smt103 :smt109 :smt038 :smt046 :smt031 :smt056 :smt057 :smt041 :smt088 :smt096 :smt106 :smt115 :piratedthread: :smt072 :smt068 :smt052

Enjoy SimonCowellLuver
3 facts: 1.You can't lick your elbow
2. you just tried it
3. I caught you cause i saw you

I'm effortlessly ironic.
— Link Neal