z

Young Writers Society

All About myself

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:48 am
writeholic says...

Hey Y'all my name is writeholic. I'm pretty new to this site, and It looked like a great place to introduce myself (even though I'm pretty boring) I live in the wonderful snowy state of Utah, and yes I'm very Mormon (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) if you have any questions about our church I would be happy to answer them. (No Mormons are not a polygamists, We believe in Jesus Christ, and I have absolutely no horns: Sorry thought I'd cover the basics there) My very favorite author is Stephanie Meyer, author of Twilight (who is also Mormon.) I also Clog, and play flute and piccolo besides writing every chance I get. I've currently published two of my poems, one in a minor anthropology, and another in a minor lit mag. I've written a children's book, and one novel which I do not plan to publish. I'm also gearing up three of my poems to submit to a major college writing contest, and working on another full length novel which I do hope to publish one day. And thats about it!
"You start thinking anything is possible if you have enough nerve"- J.K Rowling

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:57 pm
Gemma Firestorm says...

You... clog? Do I even wanna know what that means?

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:27 pm
onceuponatim3xo says...

Wow! I'd love to have that many accomplishments! What's the name of your children's book? I might've heard of it.

I love Stephanie Meyer too! She's a great author, unfortunately i haven't read the sequel, New Moon, yet because none of the libraries near me carry it.

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:28 am
EnchantressMuffin says...

Woot, hello. :) I'm Muffin.

That's so cool that you play flute! I used to, but my teacher was insane so I stopped. Music folk... you know how it goes. :P

So... why aren't you going to publish the books you've written? Not good enough, or just don't want to? Are you actually going to publish a book?

Best of luck!

Peace, love, chocolate,
Muffin

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:57 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Well because I am a curious little beany, I am going to ask questions and you shall probably dislike me because there are so many. Sorry :L

What's it like to be a Mormon and what does it actually mean? I'm interested in people's beliefs - I don't really have any of my own but I love to hear other people's take on the world.

What is "Clog"? I know there are those shoes made out of wood in Germany that are called Clogs, but surely you can't, Clog?

How did you go about getting your work published? I once nearly got one of my stories published in a book thathad a lot of people from my school's work in. It was about a haunted house and it was one of those descriptive introduction thingies. :)

What do you like to write? I write poetry of all kinds and I like to write Fantasy Fiction too. I live in my own dream world so it kind of fits me perfectly.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:49 am
writeholic says...

Hey sorry I've been out of town for like a month..... :)

OnCeUpOnAtIm3Xo : woops sorry I should have worded that better, I've published two poems, and I've written a children's book, but I haven't published my children's book yet. (sadly) umm but my children's book is called The Path Taken. New Moon is great, except I almost failed a test because I got so hooked on it, I just didn't want to study.

EnchantressMuffin : lol yea music folk are insane~! Umm.. with my novel, its more like I love to write just to write. If I love what I do, and share it with my friends and family its good enough for me. I am however currently working on another novel which I do hope to publish later, though its quite complex so it will take me a while to write it. I've submitted one of my novels to a publisher, but they wrote back that they really liked it, but they won't sign a minor to a contract without an agent, and good agents take money, so I would rather wait until I'm 18.

GingerLizzy : lol thats ok I love questions! Mormon is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day saints, you can read all about our beliefs at www.LDS.org (the church website) We believe in God, his son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. But unlike other churches we believe that they are three separate beings. Umm we also have modern day prophets, the first one being Joseph Smith, and the one today being President Hinckley. With that we believe in modern day revelation, or in other words God talks to our prophet, and everyone else in our church, or even the world. Along with the King James Bible we have something called the Book of Mormon, which is basically the history of Christianity on the American continent. And we also believe that Christ will come again (second coming). We also believe in eternal life, which means that you can live with your family for eternity. Thats basically the gist of it, but LDS.org does a better job, or even googling the 13 Articles of faith would do it.

What's it like to be Mormon? Well I'm pretty dang ordinary! the only things that we do differently besides our beliefs are that we don't smoke, drink coffee or tea or alcohol, smoke, watch R rated movies ( or worse) don't have tattoos, don't have premarital sex, and we dress modestly (we girls don't wear tub topes or tank tops, but we do wear cap sleeves and we don't have short skirts) we also don't lie, steal, cheat, and we believe in lots of service, and integrity. We also keep the Sabbath holy which means we don't go shopping, or out to dinner, or water jet ski, etc. On Sunday. Ohh we also pay tithing once a month which is 10% of our income 1.00 = 10 cence tithing. But that tithing goes towards things like our Temples, churches, and humanitarian aid, such as the current fires in California and relief for Hurricane Katrina.

Clogging is a lot similar to tap, except take tap and add hip-hip and you’ve got it. Ever heard of “all that” off of Americas got Talent? Or Brenden Noris from So You Think You Can Dance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjNYRbC4 ... re=related This is Brenden Norris, he’s pretty good…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yH2q6HC0NE This is another clogging team… (not mine- we don’t want anyone to copy our stuff off the internet)

Publishing takes a lot of luck. I’ve been published in a few minor lit mags/anthologies, and am about to try for another one. What’s most important is that you write for yourself, because you’ll go absolutely crazy if you don’t get what your thinking of out of your head. If you write something for everyone no one will even think twice about it, but if you write for yourself, everyone will love it, because its part of you, and no one can condemn another person. That’s what’s important, not getting published. It’s taken me about three long years to figure that out, its better to be yourself then try to change yourself, or to allow others to change you. If someone doesn’t like your work, its not because they personally don’t like If someone doesn’t like your work, its not because they personally don’t like you.. Its because they look at the world differently then you do, and thus your opinions do not match. If a publisher doesn’t buy your work, its because they are trying to compete with the Harry Potter’s and Twilights, you have to realize that they are trying to make a living too. So what it boils down too, is yes I’m published, and it really doesn’t mean too much to me, because writing is so overpowerly more important to me then getting published, I frankly don’t care if anything of mine ever gets published. Oh sure, I’ll try my hardest, because I love to share what I’ve done, but in the end it really and truly doesn’t matter as much to me.

What do I like to write? Its more of a question of what I don’t like to write, and that would be two things: I cannot write Science Fiction or Mysteries. I absoloutly love all poetry, which is what comes the easiest to me. I love writing essays, and most of all I love Adventures, I hate soapy love stories, but if there’s a good adventure or fantasy twist on it, I’m good.
"You start thinking anything is possible if you have enough nerve"- J.K Rowling

Random avatar

Reviews: 27
Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:55 pm
powerofwords2008 says...

who says mormons have horns? anyways. nice to meet you and wow you play both the piccolo and the flute? yeah. thanks for the review of my piece earlier i really appreciate that you took the time out to do that for me. happy writing.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:06 pm
andimlovegalore says...

Hi =] welcome to the forum!
There's a christian group here I think, in the groups sections at the top.
I thought it was funny the way you said you don't jet ski on the sabbath ^__^ I don't water jet ski any day of the week!

The ink in which our lives are inscribed is indelible.
— Helena 'HG' Wells, Warehouse 13