z

Young Writers Society

danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:54 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Hello, everyone! So this is a place where I can come and talk about myself without anyone telling me to shut up? Oh! Me like! :wink:

What to say, what to say.....well, I'm a freshman in college, English major and Medieval Studies minor, currently taking Shakespeare and LOVING it. I'm in my first serious relationship with a guy, which is wonderful and scary as heck at the same time.
I'm a Protestant, probably what a lot of people would call a fundamentalist Christian, but hey. *shrugs* I'm not here to save the world or convert everyone (like I could anyway), all I do is live my life the way I think God wants me to. If anybody has any questions about what I believe and why, please PM me!
Okay, favorite books...at present, I'm really loving King of Attolia by Megan Whaelen Turner. As far as classics go, you have to have Tolkein on your top five list, naturally, and I also love Lerux's Phantom of the Opera and Dumas's Count of Monte Cristo. Modern writers--Terry Pratchett rocks my socks off! And I'm a real fan of Orson Scott Card as well.
As far as music goes, I am beyond pathetic in my knowledge of popular culture, and especially bad where music is concerned. I like the Wolf's Rain and Les Miserables soundtracks! anyone? Oh well. :wink:
I've got a lot of poems on here and a couple stories, one of which (Gypsie Eyes) people seem to be enjoying. Which is good. Very, very good.
I think that's it for now. Ta everyone!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:58 pm
Myth says...

Hey Gry!

You forgot the falcons!

Dumas and Prachett rock :D

I'm a little suprised you haven't included Tannar in your post :wink:
.: ₪ :.

'...'

440 Reviews

Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:22 pm
gyrfalcon says...

"Hmmm, what? Oh, hi Myth! Sorry I didn't get in on this earlier, I was busy. Hello, everyone! I'm Tannar, Gyr's most fantastic, wonderful, engaging, unique, and truly amazing charactor. Nice to meet you."
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:17 pm
Fand says...

Hey goose! Can I just say that The Count of Monte Cristo is the BEST BOOK EVER? :D

:elephant:
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

440 Reviews

Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:15 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Hey, just in case anyone was confused about the subject, it's a line from the poem "High Flight," one of my favorites and my dad's mantra (he's a pilot). Here it is:

High Flight
By John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds--and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of--wheeled and soared and swing
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there
I’ve chased the shouting winds along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue,
I’ve topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew-
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high, untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put my hand out and touched the face of God.
Last edited by gyrfalcon on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:15 am
Myth says...

I like the poem. Tannar seems a little pleased with himself :wink:
.: ₪ :.

'...'

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:38 am
Sage says...

OoOoOoOoOo...I have got to do something with that poem and put it up on my desktop. Totally awesome!

Oh, and I think you should start some kind of fanclub for Tannar; if you aren't careful he'll be wanting his own book, next;)
True friends stab you in the FRONT. (Oscar Wilde)

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:49 am
Dream Deep says...

I noticed Tannar's fanclub...

Livny is now going to go find a bar somewhere where he can drown his depression in cheap vodka and Shan's fighting with Kyra - she finds him cute. ^_~

Enjoy the havoc you've wreaked on my cast.

440 Reviews

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:19 am
gyrfalcon says...

Hello all! Just an update to those who may not know (aka, those I haven't pestered to death about it...yet); I've begun posting the first sections of a fiction piece called In Thrall--I'd really appreciate any crits anyone can give me. Just a warning, though--it's a bit dark. ;)

440 Reviews

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:53 am
View Likes
gyrfalcon says...

Hi again! Wow...is it dead in here....
Do you all hate me that much! :smt022

Nawww.....I'm just bored. And feeling a bit overwhelmed with two bros on here.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:10 am
Leja says...

I see what you mean! I don't know if I could take my siblings being on the same website ^.^

440 Reviews

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:31 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Hello all! Wow, it's been awhile since I've posted, and I don't even want to think about how long it's been since I looked at my blog...*shudder*

Well, for those of you who don't know, I'm currently in my sophomore year, studying abroad in England this semester and loving it! (even though everything is literally twice as expensive) Sorry I haven't been as active lately, but if anyone has any short stories (I don't know if I could swallow a novel) they'd like critiqued, please let me know!

:pirate3: Does anyone know why we can't have a pirate for our mascot? :pirate3:

440 Reviews

Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:12 am
gyrfalcon says...

Hello again, me again, redundancy again? Anyway, just wanted to say I am in Los Angeles at present, land of intermittent internet (as far my current lodgings goes), so I may not be around much the next week. Also, for those of you who might be interested, there's a new bit of In Thrall up!

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:13 am
View Likes
Twit says...

Los Angeles? Ooooh, Laurel and Hardy moment there.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:16 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Ooh, I love that poem, gyr! And I've only read the first part of the Count of Monte Cristo because I had to return it to the library *sob*, but I loved what I read. Orson Scott Card is still on my to-read list.

I'll be starting my freshman year of college in August. *shivers* Scary.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

Half the work that is done in this world is to make things appear what they are not.
— Elias Root Beadle