z

Young Writers Society

New Writer!

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:08 pm
serpyre says...

Hello, I'm just your typical teen writer here. :D Nothing much to say, but I'm excited to make my way around here! I think I'm going to like the Review System a lot~

Thank you!

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:22 pm
Kazumi says...

Ayyy serpyre, welcome to the Young Writer's Society. It feels a bit chilly in here, doesn't it? That's because this place is pretty cool. So nice, so cool. That's so cool.

I observed that many peeps that are new here kind of get inactive after a few weeks, or even after just a few days. But hey, if you stick around here for a nice and solid amount of time, I guarantee you you won't just be any "typical teen writer" here. You're gonna be a really good teen writer here. As in, you'll make everyone else look like scrubs (lol) with the rad prose and poetry skills you can learn from the community here. I'm talking from personal experience here, and the other writers here can say the same thing.

So yeah, I hope to see you around here for a while. Hit me or anyone else in this site if you have any problems, none of us won't bite at all. Welcome to the site once again.
top kek

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:27 pm
PrincessInk says...

Welcome serpyre! Hope you have a great time here :)

Feel free to send me a private message or post on my wall if you want to chat.
always daydreaming, always clumsy

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:02 pm
niteowl says...

Welcome serpyre! Hope you enjoy the site! Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. What do you like to read and write?
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

Random avatar

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:13 am
View Likes
serpyre says...

@Kazumi I'll try my best to stick around for a bit! :) Question: how do you get ''points'', and how much do people usually review?

@niteowl I like to read action generally, and usually anything that involves friendship and is character-driven. Quite like to write slash tbh.

@PrincessInk Thank you! And I will~

91 Reviews

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:06 am
Kazumi says...

You get points when you review. The points you get are dependent on how long your review is, with the maximum reward being 100 points. If you review works from the Green Room (the hub where works with only 1 or less reviews chill out), you get a 25 point bonus. With that, the maximum amount you can get in 1 review is 125 points. That's so dope, right?

On the Q of how much do people usually review, it varies depending on the person. Some people craft quick, concise reviews at a relatively fast rate, while others like to take their time in making long, detailed reviews. There are even some that are seldom review. In fact, I'm one of those people. It's been more than a month since my last review lol, but it's all cool. No matter how frequently or infrequently you review, it doesn't make you any less of a member here, because you can still participate through the forums, clubs, storybooks, publishing works, or simply commenting on other people's wall posts.
top kek

Random avatar

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:04 am
serpyre says...

@Kazumi - alright, thank you for the explanation!

is there a particular genre that is popular on this site? additionally, am I allowed to post fanfiction (just curious)?

Thank you again!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:32 am
Vervain says...

Basically every genre is popular on-site, in my experience. There's a huge amount of variety in what people write here!

We actually have a fanfiction genre for literary works! Plenty of folks do write fanfic, though I'm not sure if it gains as much traction as original works (since you usually need at least a passing familiarity with the original work to read fanfic). But it would be nice to see some more on the site!

Welcome!
stay off the faerie paths

91 Reviews

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:10 am
Kazumi says...

I guess I kinda have to agree with @Vervain. At least in the short story sections, I noticed the body of literature we got is pretty well-rounded, not one is so dominant over the rest. Sci-fi, romance, drama, comedy, and other stuff like that.

What I do know for sure is that there are some genres that aren't as popular. Horror, film/theater scripts, essays, and (unfortunately) fanfiction don't get published as much as in the other genres. Maybe you'd be interested in filling those niches and diversifying the body of literature?
top kek

Random avatar

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:59 am
serpyre says...

@Vervain - okay, thank you very much for your response! I think that it's a bit of a shame that fanfics aren't that popular compared to original works, but I understand why.

@Kazumi - thanks for your reply! I think I'll note that down, thank you very much. :D is there anything I should know before publishing a story (ie. review a bit) or should I just go for it? I've also looked at the ''review for food'' forums and I have to admit, I'm slightly confused lol. how do you transfer points?

thanks!

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:38 am
Clarity says...

Welcome to YWS! It’s always nice to see new faces :)

When you first join you’re given 200 points already, this is so can can upload your first work - each work you publish costs 200 points. Reviewing works is how you earn more points.

The Will Review For Food thread is a place where you can request reviews and you can also make your own thread for other members to request reviews from yourself.

Transferring points is done via the “donate” button you’ll find on someone’s profile; you can send points to other people this way :) this is usually used for things like contest prizes.

If you ever have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM :D
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

Random avatar

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:38 am
serpyre says...

@Clarity

Thank you for the clarification! Really appreciate it :) I've posted my first work now - is there any way to earn points other than Reviews?

Thanks!

91 Reviews

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:58 pm
Kazumi says...

I know of two other ways. One is to have someone donate it to you. You can achieve that through the goodness of others' hearts, doing others favors, or participating in some organized contests where points are given as prizes. However, doing someone else some favors doesn't mean automatic points 'cause it's always at their discretion. These aren't the only ways to receive them from someone else though, 'cause anyone can give points anytime they want. The system ain't stopping anyone, yo.

The other is welcoming new peeps in the Welcome Mat. Just like what I did to you here. It only gives 5 points though so it's really small, unless you're willing to wait for 40 newbies before you can post a poem or something lol
top kek

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:39 pm
niteowl says...

Kazumi pretty much covered it. Reviewing is the main way to get points because reviews are how the site survives. If no one reviews, then no one gets reviews and the community would basically die. With the points system, everyone has to write about two reviews for ever work they post, and the Green Room spotlights works that haven't gotten two reviews yet so every work can get two reviews. So everyone wins!

It's pretty common for new members to struggle with reviewing, so here are some great articles that might help you out:

The YWS Critique Sandwich
The YWS Reviewing Dictionary
What isn't a good critique?
A Rundown on Reviewing

Welcome again and happy writing! :D
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

Random avatar

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:43 pm
serpyre says...

@Kazumi - okay, thank you for telling me how to get points! I realise that the contests aren't active anymore, which is a bit sad. Sorry if I'm sending you an onslaught with questions (lol) but what is the Review Month everyone's talking about?

@niteowl - thanks for explaining to me how it works! I think I'll chill out in the green room for a bit lol. and thanks for the links, they're really helpful :D

Your hesitation suggests you are trying to protect my feelings. However, since I have none, I would prefer you to be honest. An artist's growth depends upon accurate feedback.
— LCDR Data