z

Young Writers Society

I'm new to the site!

Reviews: 0
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:55 am
IllustriousMrOkami says...

Hi, I'm IllustriousMrOkami and I plan I putting my stories on the site. Just wanted to introduce myself.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:14 am
PrincessInk says...

Hi MrOkami! Welcome! I really like your avatar. Is the animal depicted in it a fox?
always daydreaming, always clumsy

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:17 am
View Likes

It's a kitsune, mythical yokai in Japanese mythology. A kitsune is a fox.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:20 am
Hattable says...

Welcome to the site! Your username is great. What sort of things do you like to write?
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:21 am

Well, I'm trying to take a story I wrote IRL and post it on YWS. I'll probably write short stories.

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:47 am
FantasyWriter76 says...

Hey, Mr. Okami! Welcome to the site! I want to hear about this short story of yours, I really want to review something.
“You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you were beneath it.” -Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
"Don't start things you can't finish." -Therion the Thief, Octopath Traveler

Art was made to be dangerous, that is why it is beautiful.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:52 am

Well, it is called "A NIght in Lamptown". It's about a boy who runs away from home and finds himself in a magical world. I'm actually trying to find someone to do it for me because I'm too busy to do reviews. If you're that interested, I could send you the story so you can publish it.

34 Reviews

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:54 am
FantasyWriter76 says...

I could do that for you if you're THAT busy. I'll credit you as a coeditor.
“You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you were beneath it.” -Alan Moore, V for Vendetta

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:56 am

That would be great! Thank you, you are doing me a big favor!

34 Reviews

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:57 am
FantasyWriter76 says...

No prob.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:42 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Hi there Okami and welcome to the site!

I understand that the points system can feel frustrating at times. You want to get your story out there and reviewing can feel time-consuming and intimidating, especially when you have several chapters you want to post. However, I cannot overstate the importance of reviewing. Without reviews, the site as we know it would cease to exist.

I've been a member of the site for a long time, including periods where points weren't required to post a story. That didn't work out so well because the forums would get bombarded with works that might go unreviewed for months. With the points system, the Green Room (emphasizing works that don't have reviews yet), and the Review Day at the end of every month, most works will get two reviews within a month. If you contribute by reviewing, you will be able to reap the rewards by getting reviews. Without the points system, we can't guarantee anyone's work will be read at all.

Plus, I have to say having reviewed a bunch of works over the years, reviewing helps you as a writer too! You get a sense of what works and what doesn't, which you can then apply to your own work. You also develop invaluable critical thinking and writing skills (writing a review is kind of an art form in and of itself). Reviewing other people's works also helps you get your name out there and encourages people to follow you and review your works in return.

I understand that you're busy...we all are! But I've also learned that a good review doesn't take as long as you might think. Our illustrious founder Nate recommends spending about 10-15 minutes on a review here (this is also a great way to format a review if you're unsure where to start!). Some other awesome articles that can help you with reviewing:

Reviewing Writers More Skilled Than You
How To Write A Good Critique
What isn't a good critique?

I'm willing to help you as a new member, but I want you to participate in our site, so I'll offer you a deal. For every review* you do this month, I'll offer you an additional 100 points. So if you write a review worth 100 points (the max per review), I'll give you another 100 and that will be enough points to post a chapter of your story! Just PM me when you've done a review and I'll donate some points!

*the "fine print" here: this has to be a legitimate review. No copy-pasting or jibberish just to get points, for example (this is a violation of site rules). Just your original thoughts on the work in question.

@FantasyWriter76, I might suggest offering a similar deal (donating points under whatever terms you feel are fair) rather than simply publishing someone else's works under your name.

Welcome again and I hope you consider sticking around and being part of the site by reviewing and sharing your stories! :D
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

34 Reviews

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:47 am
FantasyWriter76 says...

I called it off already, and I'm not sure what's happening on Okami's side.

Noelle, you can lead a writer to their computer and give them coffee, but you can't make them write.
— CowLogic