z

Young Writers Society

Introduction

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:01 pm
Liminality says...

Hello!
Just signed up for this website. I'm in my last year of high school and am planning to study the English Language course for A-levels. I enjoy writing poetry, while my short stories tend to fall on the speculative fiction side. Nice to meet you all.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:48 pm
Hattable says...

Hey, welcome to yewis! We've got a considerable poetry presence on-site, so you're in luck! Short stories are also great (and a personal preference).

Neat username, by the way! If you need any help getting around, don't hesitate to ask anyone in green, dark green, orange, or red!
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:45 pm
PrincessInk says...

Welcome to YWS, Limi (is it okay if I call you that?)!

Yay for short stories! I don't read a lot of them, but those I read are pretty good. Have you heard of the author Kelly Barnhill? She writes quite some nice speculative shorts. She ever said that she finds short stories tougher to write than novels. I think I agree with her in some sense. They have to developed over such a short time. /ramble

Anyway, let me know if you need anything! What do you like to read?
always daydreaming, always clumsy

542 Reviews

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:41 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Hattable wrote:Hey, welcome to yewis! We've got a considerable poetry presence on-site, so you're in luck! Short stories are also great (and a personal preference).

Neat username, by the way! If you need any help getting around, don't hesitate to ask anyone in green, dark green, orange, or red!

Thank you very much!
she/her

542 Reviews

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:50 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

PrincessInk wrote:Welcome to YWS, Limi (is it okay if I call you that?)!

Yay for short stories! I don't read a lot of them, but those I read are pretty good. Have you heard of the author Kelly Barnhill? She writes quite some nice speculative shorts. She ever said that she finds short stories tougher to write than novels. I think I agree with her in some sense. They have to developed over such a short time. /ramble

Anyway, let me know if you need anything! What do you like to read?

Sure! I haven't heard of Kelly Barnhill before, but I'll be sure to check out her work once I'm done with finals. Yeah, I agree that short stories can be hard to write. It's challenging to hit that sweet spot between too much information and too little.
As for what I like to read, I don't really have a specific genre that I'm completely immersed in. I read non-fiction about as much as I read fiction. I used to read Neil Gaiman's short stories a lot when I was younger, though these days I try to expose myself to local stories by authors from my own country.
she/her

373 Reviews

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:25 pm
PrincessInk says...

I read like 0.1 % nonfiction and 99.9% fiction xD Do you have any nonfiction reccs? I want to try to ease more into nonfiction--I haven't really given it a chance!

542 Reviews

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:20 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

PrincessInk wrote:I read like 0.1 % nonfiction and 99.9% fiction xD Do you have any nonfiction reccs? I want to try to ease more into nonfiction--I haven't really given it a chance!

Hmm . . . I'd recommend 'Son of the Revolution' by Liang Heng, which is one of my favourite autobiographies. It's an account of the author's life in Communist China. The style is almost novel-like, focusing a lot on the effects of historical events on people's personal lives and relationships. You can almost feel the emotion pouring from the page, which is part of the reason I like it so much.
she/her

373 Reviews

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:52 pm
PrincessInk says...

Thank you @Liminality! *adds to TBR*

542 Reviews

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:49 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

PrincessInk wrote:Thank you @Liminality! *adds to TBR*

You're welcome!
she/her

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:04 am
FantasyWriter76 says...

Hey, welcome to the site! I hope you feel right at home here on the site. The community is friendly and I hope to read your stories soon!
-FantasyWriter76 (FW76)
“You wear a mask for so long, you forget who you were beneath it.” -Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
"Don't start things you can't finish." -Therion the Thief, Octopath Traveler

Art was made to be dangerous, that is why it is beautiful.

542 Reviews

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:57 am
Liminality says...

FantasyWriter76 wrote:Hey, welcome to the site! I hope you feel right at home here on the site. The community is friendly and I hope to read your stories soon!
-FantasyWriter76 (FW76)

Sorry for the late reply! Thank you so much :)
she/her

fun fact i hear my evil twin once wrote a story about a hacker who used the name fyshi33k bc there are 33k-ish species of fish and she liked phishing so fyshi-33k made sense but then she got super embarrassed when someone forced her to explain
— VyperShadow