z

Young Writers Society

In Need of Writing Advice

Reviews: 0
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 am
DianaEliz says...

I have discovered the Hudson Prize sponsored by Black Lawrence Press, a writing competition where the winner receives a book publication and 10 author copies. Submissions are either a manuscript of a poetry collection or a manuscript of a short story collection. I am currently composing some short stories that I have and I am writing others for my collection, but I am hesitant. Doing research, accomplished authors recommend that your collection be comprised of your previously published works with some new stuff. PROBLEM NUMBER ONE: I am unpublished. I have no previously published works. Researching past winners of the Hudson Prize, I discovered that most of the winners have already been successful authors, either being published in literary magazines or having won awards for their published works. PROBLEM NUMBER TWO: I am only an undergraduate, in my junior year getting a Bachelor's in Creative Writing. Most of the winners have a M.F.A or have experience in the professional world of writing, which I don't have. Because of these two problems I am hesitant to go further with writing my collection and submitting it to this contest. I am in need of some advice of whether or not I should be bold enough to submit without any publication experience and already won awards. Should I take the time to write my collection although I am young and inexperienced compared to the previous winners? Should I be brave enough to believe that my collection of short stories is good enough for publication? Any advice that you have will be greatly appreciated!

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:17 pm
CocoaCat says...

I think that you should at least try. Everybody starts somewhere, so I say GO FOR IT :D

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:51 pm
SnowGhost says...

This is a chance to become a published author, If I were you I would do it. After all, I'd think they'd strictly judge on the manuscripts themselves and not on whether you've been published or not. Ultimately it's your decision though.
Just killing time until time kills me.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:38 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Try it for the experience (if you can afford any entry fee), but recognize you probably won't get in.

Entering (and getting rejected) can teach you some very important things, namely:

- A barometer of quality based on the type of rejection. If you get a form rejection or no word back, you're the lowest rung of the lowest, and need to do a lot more work. If you get a personalized rejection, you're doing pretty good!

- The level of detail required to format a manuscript, and practicing your ability to format.

- The time and effort and network it takes to properly edit pieces for publication submission. If you're doing this alone, or with a few close friends who don't have any experience with professional-level editing, you don't have a strong enough network.

But from the sounds of it, that award is one of those "one in a million" chances of winning at your level (or at mine, honestly). If you feel your time would be better spent in a lake instead of an ocean, look up other contests you can enter where the winners are less star-studded.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:35 am
AnimalQueen says...

Sounds like life is challenging you. I'd accept. You can message me if you need any help.

Carpe Diem
— Catullus