z

Young Writers Society

So This Is Me

Reviews: 3
Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:02 pm
View Likes
ConnorSharpie says...

Hey all! I'm a bit new to this, but thanks to all those who've welcomed me so far. :) Let's see...well, I'm in my early twenties, and have only recently gotten back into writing. I used to write fanfiction when I was in middle school and early high school, and I guess that's where the roots of my writing are.

After I graduated from high school back in 2012, I kept finding myself wanting to start up writing again. Every time I'd try to sit down and try it, though, there was absolutely no drive there like I used to have. I'd try to sit down and write some more every few months over the next few years, but every time I'd get the same results.

However, in that time of being unable to actually get anything on the blank word document, I have been able to still cook an idea in my head over the last three years. Recently, I tried sitting down one more time, this time while at my full time job in a little of my spare time one afternoon. It took a bit of work, but I've finally got something down on paper, and I'm excited to continue working on it. :)

I once was lucky enough to attend a writing seminar in my high school senior year, held by Brandon Sanderson, someone who I believe one of the best authors in the world currently. He gave one piece of crucial advice I've taken everywhere with me, whether it be writing, filmmaking, or anything else in life.

"Write about what you know and what you love. Don't conform to what you think others will want to read. Write what YOU want to read." -Brandon Sanderson

Other than writing, I'm a huge video game and film enthusiast. I've also been teaching myself piano for the last ten years, again, mostly playing songs I like from video games or movies. I can't read sheet music well enough to actually sightread, so instead I play the song over and over on my phone while sitting at the piano, and eventually learn to play it by ear and memorization. :)

Anyways, that's just a little about me. Again, thanks for dropping by and taking an interest in me and my writing, as unpolished as it is. Have a happy Easter!
-Connor

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:23 pm
Silberfee says...

Hello! I joined last month and I'm so glad I'm not the only person who didn't join when they were in their teens (so far everyone who are open about their age on here seems to have joined in their teens) I'm also in my early twenties and I've had this gap between school and now where I didn't write. I'm hoping to get back into it.

Thanks for admitting to your age I now feel less alone in being a late newcomer here ^^

I also play the piano I've had formal lessons so if you have any questions regarding that you can ask me and I'll do my best to answer!

Welcome to YWS!

Silberfee

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:36 pm
Holysocks says...

Welcome aboard! I hope you find the writing bug and squash it!-- I mean, let it bite you(?) O.o

Just kidding. I think you'll fit in well here and I'm hopeful that YWS will inspire you to get back into writing more! c:

You lovely people aren't the only ones in your twenties, despite popular belief. Yes, it's true many of the members that are wrinkly now joined when they were younger, but that's okay. The sites age-bar seems to be steadily rising over the years, so I think it's becoming more common for people to be joining in their twenties.
100% autistic

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:38 pm
PrincessInk says...

Welcome to YWS! I hope you can have fun writing! :)
always daydreaming, always clumsy

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:54 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Hey Connor! Big fan of the name!

Welcome aboard on YWS.

Brandon Sanderson, woooooow. Although truth be told I've never read any of his books >.> They always look good in bookshops but I'm so bad at committing to series that are already in motion!

Sometimes, that kind of thing sucks. I sometimes think that it's when you love an idea too much and you've spent too much time planning it, that it's so hard to commit pen to paper (metaphorically). Maybe you need to post some short stories or similar on YWS and we'll get you started? :)

Let me know when you post something, I'd love to give you a review! Us twenty-somethings have to stick together ;)
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

constant state of confuzzle
— Quillfeather