z

Young Writers Society

Hello

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:50 am
papillote says...

Hi!
My name is Papillote (likely, hm). It's a French sweet we eat around Christmas. Papillotes come from Lyon (culinary capital of the world - well, of France, anyway), same as me. They are chocolate and wrapped in very bright paper.
Inside joke, people. I'm allergic to chocolate and I hate Christmas. Fake cheer, too much family and presents you don't really want. What's to like, exactly? Plus, I'm a very gray person myself.
I come from a huge family: three sisters, forty-something cousins and even more extended family. Pretty much everybody I share DNA with is crazy so they take more than their fair share of space and attention. It's hard to stand out when your house is a cross between a circus and a boarding school. I feel like a hall monitor.
Maybe that's why I like writing so much. It's quiet. Every word matters. I can taste each and string them together without interference.
And writing is an equalitarian art form. Everybody in my mother's family is gifted: she was a painter, but there are writers, interior designers, gardeners, sculptors. My sisters sing, play the piano, draw and take amazing pictures. Me, I was never any good at anything until I first picked up a pen. I brought a music teacher to tears once, my sketches never look anything like the models, I can't even keep a cactus alive and my pictures always come out blurry.
But I can lose myself in my poems, in my stories.
I love words. I love words so much than one language isn't enough. Reality has so many nuances, one language can't possibly cover them all. Take a smile for example. In French, we have only one word for all smiles: sourire. That's good enough for a nicely bland and generic verb like smiling but what of grinning, smirking or beaming?
My awareness of the world expands with every new meaning I learn, with every shade of color I add to my palette. I want to keep improving, to sharpen my understanding of reality further.
Reading in English isn't enough anymore. I'd like to try my hand at writing but I lack any kind of formal teaching and I don't have the necessary distance to assess my work and decide which areas need working on.
Please, read me, help me.
Be kind because I'm still a little shy but be sincere and be thorough. I'll need your help improving.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:05 am
Holysocks says...

Welcome to the family <3 I guess you probably don't want more family, but too bad! You're officially adopted! ^_^
100% autistic

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:02 pm
papillote says...

That's okay. They tell me you can never have enough family.

It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.
— Mark Twain