z

Young Writers Society

Hi from an aspiring journalist

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:57 am
lizzie14 says...

Hi there all!
All I have wanted to do growing up is write, and I'm good at school essays and papers, and the like. But, I struggle with getting inspiration for short stories, because anything I think of has been done before (or at least I think it has).

If you have any advice for gathering inspiration and how to crack down on your writing let me know!

Sincerely,
Lizzie14

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:45 am
View Likes
EternalRain says...

Hey Lizzie! (: Welcome to YWS!

For short stories, I'd really just go with whatever ideas you have, even if you think they're a bit overused. You can always add your own spin and spice to it to make it unique, which makes it different from everything else.

As for inspiration I'd recommend just reading other's work, going outisde, and maybe browsing Pinterest or something. (:

Good luck with your writing!!
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”

-- Lemony Snicket

Check out Squills!

Need a Review?

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:35 am
Wolfi says...

Hello, Lizzie! Welcome to YWS! <3

I tend to have difficulty with getting inspirations for short stories, too. What I always need is a prompt. Short story contests on YWS are my favorite because the prompts usually get me to step outside of my comfort zone and write something completely new and refreshing. If you're interested, check out this forum for a list of contests or the chance to start your own!
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:18 am
Kazumi says...

My advice for short stories

Step 1 - Get an idea. Any idea. It doesn't matter where it comes from. You think it's been done? Screw that. Do the same idea however you like.

Step 2 - Twist and warp it as much as possible to your liking, in your own way. Like, make it so crooked it can't even stand up with the support of three canes.

Step 3 - Add a plot, and then publish it on YWS.

Step 4 - Bathe in money the next day.

Anyways, welcome to YWS, that one place where you'll find a weird buncha people, but you'll love them anyway.

By the way, it's nice to see people like you on the site. Essays are underrated, and not a lot of people can/choose to do it very well.
top kek

Who knew paper and ink could be so vicious.
— Kathryn Stockett, The Help