z

Young Writers Society

Hi everybody!

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:03 pm
View Likes
Lieke says...

Hello! :) My name is Lieke and I'm new here. I write poetry and fiction. My dream is to become a scriptwriter for television. I'm going to apply for a scriptwriting masters course and hoping to get in. I'm currently still working on my portfolio though. I'd love to get to know more writers and exchange our knowledge :D
"Write something, yeah it might be worthless. Then paint something and it might be wordless. Pointless curses, nonsense verses, you'll see purpose start to surface."

25 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 25
Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:20 am
View Likes
Gringoamericano says...

Hello! Welcome to YWS!

Glad to see that we have another aspiring screenwriter here. What would you say are your favorite books/tv shows/movies/whatever?
"Can't break an omelette without making a few eggs"

From the ashes of the old YWS Chat; it's the Unofficial YWS Discord server. Come join us!: https://discordapp.com/invite/UhSr7uW

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:18 am
View Likes
jumpingsheep says...

Woohoo another screenwriter! What genres do you like to write in?
hello there

7 Reviews

Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:58 pm
View Likes
Lieke says...

Hey guys! :)

My favourite book (series) of all-time would have to be Harry Potter. The cliché answer but I can't help it because I grew up reading the series. Other books I love are Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, so totally different from Harry Potter. I read in many genres.

It's hard to say which tv-series are my favourites, because I watch so many. But I loved Prison Break and still miss it to date. I also loved My Mad Fat Diary for the way it portrayed mental illness. I also watch many comedy shows, like Modern Family and The Middle.

My all-time favourite movie is Donnie Darko, which none of my friends understand haha.

I write contemporary drama or comedy, depends on what medium I'm writing for really. I'm currently working on a comedy tv-series about a boy at an arts high school. And on a drama movie about a woman that lives in the middle of nowhere and has to go back into the 'real world' because she gave birth and can't raise a child by herself.

Do you guys write scripts as well? :)
"Write something, yeah it might be worthless. Then paint something and it might be wordless. Pointless curses, nonsense verses, you'll see purpose start to surface."

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:02 pm
Pompadour says...

Welcome to YWS! It's always lovely seeing screenplays on-site--we don't get enough of those--and I'm looking forward to reading your work~

Also, HARRY POTTER<3 Those books were my childhood.

I don't write scripts, but there are many people who do. c: Feel free to buzz me or any of the moderators (the folks painted in green) if you have any questions!

Happy YWSing~
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 pm
Lavvie says...

Welcome to YWS! :)

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

Random avatar

Reviews: 139
Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:56 am
deleted21 says...

Oh! Good luck with your masters course! Glad to have you here! :)

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:01 pm
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...

Hey, aspiring film writer! I'm an aspiring actress. Maybe we can work something out! XD
My pronouns are they/them.

Formerly Zhia and Reneia

7 Reviews

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:10 am
Lieke says...

Thank you guys for the warm welcome :)

@Reneia: that is an excellent idea!

25 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 25
Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:35 pm
Gringoamericano says...

@Lieke

Not only do I write scripts, I also single-handedly directed and edited my own short films during a film class I took in high school (and I'm looking to continue doing so once I transfer from my community college to major film school in my state. That being said, nothing's stopping me from trying to work on something in the meantime).

They were mostly dumb comedies (emphasis on the "dumb" part), but my goal is to make dumb comedies that aren't afraid to be ambitious (not unlike a few Spike Jonze movies like Being John Malkovich and Her).

Have you ever thought about going out of your way to make one of your scripts a reality? In my state, at least, there's a website that allows you to find actors and crewmembers who are willing to work for free (or you can just make a film with a few friends). That's actually one of the best ways to break into the business. It doesn't have to be an overly-ambitious, feature-length type deal either; If you can make a really well-done short film, and show it around a few film festivals, it can open quite a few doors.
"Can't break an omelette without making a few eggs"

From the ashes of the old YWS Chat; it's the Unofficial YWS Discord server. Come join us!: https://discordapp.com/invite/UhSr7uW

Beware of advice—even this.
— Carl Sandburg