z

Young Writers Society

New / In need of Buddy?

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:16 pm
allyoop says...

Hi, my name is Ally. I am 13 years old ( 14 in the spring ) but I have been writing in competitions for about a year now and have won/ placed in all. I also write for my local magazine as a book reviewer and short story and poetry author.

I write predominately fiction short stories and novels. I enjoy teen stories and romance in small dosages ( especially lgbt+ romances ) Also, I write some poetry but the stuff you'll find on wattpad is my sappy emo poetry from the 7th grade. My poetry is usually personal and kept to myself, but I would like to write more and maybe even a slam poem eventually.

In search of a mentor or buddy, I'd like someone who is close to my age. I have no preference in gender. I would also like someone that I can maybe help as well and we could work alongside each other on projects.

Here's some extra stuff about me:

My favorite books are: It's Kind Of a Funny Story - Ned Vizzini, the Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky, Looking For Alaska - John Green

Favorite movies: The Breakfast Club, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Perks of Being a Wallflower

Favorite TV shows: Supernatural, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the Office, Parks and Rec, Pretty Little Liars, Glee, American Horror Story

Favorite music: most punk, indie, and alternative music as well as the oldies. My favorite band is the Beatles closely followed by the Smiths.

Please message me or comment on this if you share some of my interests and would like to work with me! :D
"I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour but heaven knows I'm miserable now."

the Smiths

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:56 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

Welcome to the YWS! I adore The Beatles--their music makes me very happy! You'll find you share a lot of interests with many people on this site, in fact, aside from writing. XD We especially have a herd of Doctor Who fans, some of whom think it inappropriate for people who have not seen Doctor Who to reference it at any point in time (*cough*@Hattable*cough*).

ALSO, is Sherlock amazing OR WHAT?

Have a great time here! Feel free to buzz me or any of the moderators if you ever have any questions! (That'd be the people in green, dark green, red or black.)
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:33 pm
View Likes
Hattable says...

I REFUSE TO ACCEPT YOUR REFERENCE, @Pompadour!!

Hello person! The Beatles are cool, but far from my favorite. I've no idea what the junk I listen to is. Ask @Stranger about some of it.

Anyway

See, Pomp, I can use this gif. :p
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:54 pm
View Likes
erilea says...

Hey, welcome to Young Writers Society!
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:57 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Well well welcome!

I'm interested to see what your writing style looks and tastes like. Your influences and favorites line up with a lot of my earlier influences and favorites--though The Smiths are forever the greatest band of the past half-century--so if it's someone to grow alongside, then I'd love to welcome you aboard.

I suppose I disqualify with the age matter, though. Regardless, I'm always eager to craft with new friends. So if you're ever in the neighborhood, hit me up; we'll get along fine.

Based on your favorites listed, I'm gonna give you some recommended reading--and if I can find some PDFs or writing samples, I'll link them here.

For Lit:
Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente. It's a re-imagined Russian fantasy that takes place during the Soviet Years, but it packs a lot of strong emotions and sentiments behind the approachable Fantasy facade.

Crush by Richard Siken is probably my most-abused book of poetry. He's entry level recommended reading for new friends of mine, and his style is easily-accessible and full of lyrical impact. An old friend of mine has a bunch of his first-edition poetry stored here if you want a sneak peek.

You may also be interested in Shinji Moon and Marc Z. Danielewski.

As for music, some easy connections to The Smiths would be The National, Wintersleep, The Antlers, and Russian Red.

I hope to see a ton of you around!
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:32 pm
View Likes
Willard says...

Hey, welcome to YWS!

Emo poetry is always fun to read! So I hope to see it? I don't know how to phrase that.

Anywho, as for music, I'm a huge punk fan. However, I can't help but second @Lumi with The Antlers. Such a wonderful band.

I hope you enjoy your stay!

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:38 pm
View Likes
Persistence says...

Hello, and welcome to the YWS!
Deep thoughts remind me of unfinished

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:53 am
steampowered says...

Welcome to YWS! I love Doctor Who and Sherlock too.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions about the site. :D
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.
— Emily Dickinson