z

Young Writers Society

Just a little bit about myself.

Reviews: 2
Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:56 am
View Likes
Personification says...

'Ello comrades. Apologies if I add too many extraneous details, but let's get on with the introduction. My name is Connor, and I'm 14 years of age. Honestly, I've only just now considered getting serious about writing, due to the fact that I used to consider it as merely a hobby, but after about 5 to 6 years of roleplaying on various different sites, I thought that attempting to write chapters and pages regularly would give me something to do, as well as be beneficial to my own writing ability, which will hopefully make me an overall better writer in the long run. Just gonna add a few details about myself, incase anyone is curious. I was going to talk about what I thought my writing style was, but I really can't figure it out, which forces me to provide general repetitive actions that pertain to my writing, instead of narrowing it down and having it fall under one group. I really like to use a lot of "advanced" vocabulary, but I've been trying to make my paragraphs a little bit more easier to understand, as I've been getting complaints that I use too many "big words," and I just don't think it's good for a writer to force his/her readers to reference a dictionary after skimming over two sentences, which is what I have a habit of doing. But, in conclusion, I hope that I manage to get along with all of you, and I look forward to seeing the reviews and critiques that I'll get so that I can work on bettering myself.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:33 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

Hey there, and welcome to the site!

It's always awesome to see writers come to us raring to improve -- and, trust me, it's not always a bad thing to use "big words" here and there. While too many of them can send your readers running for the dictionary, it's important to know how your characters would talk, too. Some characters are more intellectual than others, same as some people; some characters use big words for the sake of using big words. Same with less advanced vocabulary!

Oops, I think I got a little critique-y in my welcome post, haha. What I meant to say is "welcome", and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
stay off the faerie paths

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:13 pm
TheUnknownWriter says...

Hey Connor! Welcome to YWS!
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but you started roleplaying when you were 9-10 years old?? That's impressive! Anyways, it's nice to see new members entering this wonderful site sharing their creative minds with us XD I'd be happy to read some of your writings in the future! Oh and what genres of writing do you enjoy? Welcome again! :)
"I don't wanna be heard, I wanna be listened to." - Twenty One Pilots |-/

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:54 pm
Sherri says...

Hello, Connor!
Welcome to the site. :)
Congrats on getting serious with writing! It's a fun and rewarding time-passer, even if you only do it for kicks and don't plan on publishing anything professionally.
Figuring out your writing style can be pretty hard, especially since your writing style tends to change as it reflects improvements you've made. This entire site is very helpful and kind when it comes to reviews, and the community is wonderful, so I'm sure you'll snuggle right in and figure out your writing style sooner than later.
And using big words isn't a bad thing! (Though I used to get that very same complaint a few years ago) It gets easier toning it down, though popping the occasional 'big word' into your work is always refreshing for readers. Or at least it is for me. XD
Again, welcome to the site!! Hope to see you around sometime. :) If you ever need any help, just let me know.
Cheers~
* Hey, just in case this pit isn't actually bottomless, do you think maybe you could unstrap one of those long-fall boots of yours and shove me into it? Just remember to land on one foot... *
I love GLaDOS...

Reviews: 2
Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:51 am
Personification says...

Thank you all for the replies. I feel like I'll enjoy this site a lot, honestly. Also, yes, that's correct; I started roleplaying at around 10 years old, though I obviously wasn't very good at it. Later on down the road, I started to see my ability to roleplay develop over the years, so I decided that it might be a good idea to refresh myself by taking on the task of writing legitimate chapters and books. My favorite genre, for both reading and writing, is fantasy, mainly because the roleplay that I used to do always involved powers or some kind of supernatural plot, plus the concept of interacting with abnormal creatures (and humans alike) has always interested me.

325 Reviews

Reviews: 325
Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:24 am
tigeraye says...

Welcome, friend
dot

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:12 am
Iggy says...

Hi Connor! Welcome to YWS!
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

Very well; I hear; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness