z

Young Writers Society

Hello

Reviews: 0
Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:16 am
View Likes
hartmanr says...

My name is Robin. I have been writing for many years. I have learned many things over time; but most importantly I have learned that writing is what I was put on this earth to do.

I am currently working on a romance novel and it is turning out to be pretty provocative. It also contains a decent amount of psychological means as one of the main characters has some pretty intense mental/emotional health problems she is working through as the book moves forward.

My description of it doesn't sound nearly as amazing as the story truly is. And, I don't say that with the intention to be or sound arrogant. I just have never been as profoundly and unconditionally confident and satisfied with a work of my own as I am this novel. I am determined to get it published (even if that means self-publishing) and I hope the rest of the world will enjoy it as much as I do.

Anyway, I act as though I am alone on a deserted island these days. I spend anywhere between 4-18 hours a day working on my book; most days it's in the 10-14 hour range. I am severely lacking communication with the outside world. I refuse to take any time away from my book at this point in order to go out and have a life, so I figured the least I could do was join. So, here I am :)

This doesn't exactly give too many details about me personally.
Let's see...

-I'm 22
-I'm awesome
-I love the ocean. Well, any body of water for that matter
-I love animals
-I smoke like a chimney (cigarettes)
-I am a writer, but I could use some grammar lessons
-It's punctuation that gets me
-I enjoy all things quirky/weird (especially ideas/theories)

If you have any questions, just ask :)

862 Reviews

Reviews: 862
Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:46 am
View Likes
Morrigan says...

Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here at YWS! If you have questions about anything (how things work, who's who, etc. etc.), feel free to ask me or anyone with their name in green (we're the mod squad)!

It's really amazing that you have the drive to write as long as you do every day. I'm more of a poet type than anything, so long hours behind a keyboard don't happen to me often. And besides, college can really make you busy :p

Anyway, happy YWSing!
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:07 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Welcome to YWS!

Do you have any favorite books or authors that influence your writing?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:35 pm
ThereseCricket says...

Hello! Welcome to the site!

Whoah, that's truly awesome that you can write for so long and still keep to it. My attention span is very short, so I never can write for over an hour at a time. ;)

After being on YWS for a few months or even weeks sometimes, you'll know just everything there is to know about grammar and punctuation. (Slight exaggeration, but you get the picture) We're also a super friendly group, so always make sure to ask someone if you have a question! :D

Have fun writing with us! Glad to have you aboard. ^.^
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:20 pm
kingofeli says...

Nice to meet you! Your novel sounds quite interesting and I wish you the best of luck in the writing process
Feel free to just randomly message me, I get bored easily.

I'm a black, non-binary transgender boy, who is a Christian witch (tentative for now). I'm also a panromantic asexual. I sell poetry; contact me if you're interested in buying poems from me.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:10 pm
View Likes
hartmanr says...

Magpie, Thank you very much :) Being able to spend long hours every day typing away at a keyboard is rarely possible for a person. I am beyond grateful to have such a supportive circle.

Writing is my calling; I live, breathe, dream it. I came to a point where I could no longer resist it; getting out of bed to go to work everyday became extraordinarily difficult. Physically, emotionally, mentally focusing on anything else was nearly impossible; it was destroying me at my core.

I guess the way I felt started to show and couldn't go unnoticed by my girlfriend and her family. My gf told me I needed to do what made me happy and let me know I had her support. Since then, I dropped everything and made writing my #1 priority. Though I am unemployed and broke as can be, I have received massive support from her and her family.

Two things drive me to work as hard as I do: 1) the overwhelming need I have to write and finish my novel and 2) my girl and her family.

Sorry for the long story lol. Looking back on how things have been recently made me get a bit sappy :P

Anyway, I can only hope that anyone else who has a dream is given the opportunity to fulfill it. I am not saying anyone else should go off and be a bum like I have :P. But, I wish you much time to work on whatever your dreams are, an overpowering will and desire to work hard, and a butt load of support in doing so. Best of luck to all :)
Last edited by hartmanr on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:33 pm
View Likes
hartmanr says...

Also, thank you ThereseCricket for the support with the grammar and kingofeli for your kind words.

Griffinkeeper- I have a lot of favorites when it comes to books. Generally, what I read is not relative to my writing in any way.

If anything about another person's work influences or inspires me, it is the passion they put in to it. Rather it be a poem, song, story, or even a tv show or movie; the amount of emotion put into it is what calls out to me the most.

In my opinion, some of the best works of art tend to stem from a point of suffering. When I hear a song, read a poem, or look at a painting and I am left feeling a) totally emotionally unraveled or b) entirely overwhelmed with emotion- that's the point where I personally classify something as a brilliant and beautiful work of art. It (strong emotion) is also what influences my writing.

Everyday before I write I listen to "Over the Love" by Florence + the Machine because it's not what she is saying, it's how she is saying it and why. It sets me on fire.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:58 pm
View Likes
birk says...

Welcome to YWS, Robin! ;)
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:42 am
hartmanr says...

Thank you :)

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:29 am
Apricity says...

Welcome to YWS, Robin! Hm, you like water too I see. It is amazing you can write for that amount of time each time, quite admirable. I die after three hours of intense typing, anyways. Welcome to YWS again, hope you enjoy your stay here~
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:51 pm
hartmanr says...

Thank you Flite. I do indeed, I grew up in New Jersey and spent half of my childhood at the beach. Lol, you can do it, it just takes some self-discipline ;)

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:49 am
Iggy says...

Hi, Robin! Welcome to YWS!
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:06 pm
Audy says...

Robin, you're probably my new role model. <3 I want to work myself up to being able to write everyday. If you decide to post up any excerpts from the novel, I'd love to read it ^_^

- Auds

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:14 pm
hartmanr says...

Thank you so much Audy! That truly means a lot. It's a good goal to have and I know as long as you work at it, you'll get there. Just remember that consistency is important but so is acknowledging that all efforts count. Remember to congratulate yourself on your efforts :)

When I reach the final stages of my book, I will be launching a Kickstarter campaign to assist with the publishing process. I find that it will be a good way to help make this opportunity a success, as well as a good way to promote my book. I am working hard everyday so I will be able to start this process sooner rather than later. It's difficult to hold back my excitement and be patient lol.

One of the first steps will be announcing the anticipated launch date of the project, and at that time I will also release a sneak peak of the book. I am putting my ducks in a row and it shouldn't be too long from now. When the time comes I will post here for anyone that may be interested. I also recently made a Facebook page (separate from my personal one) to keep people updated on the process of everything. If you are interested, you can add me here --> https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008441022814

You are awesome Audy! I admire your ambition. Stay positive and keep up the hard work and I guarantee you will achieve all the goals you have set out for yourself.

Again, thank you so much for your kind words.

-Robin

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:42 am
hartmanr says...

I have a question for the mod squad lol. Is profanity prohibited? Like if I post a poem that contains some foul language.

I would be a terrible novel protagonist.
— mellifera