z

Young Writers Society

I guess I should introduce myself

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:08 pm
Mea says...

Hi! I'm new here. So this is me introducing myself. You can call me Meandbooks - I don't like using my real name on the Internet, although as I get to know you this may change.

I suppose I should say a little bit about myself. I'm a very, very new writer, who hasn't written much at all, mostly because I tend to want to plan out every detail before I start writing. Tips to overcome this would be greatly appreciated. I do have some experience with reviews, both reading and writing them, so I hope I can help people out on here. Basically, I know a lot about what makes a story work, but I don't have a lot of experience actually writing a story.

Hobbies:
Reading
Writing
Playing piano and viola

(Loves) books - all sorts except romance, and especially sci-fi and fantasy
Doctor Who
Classical and instrumental music

Dislikes:
Trolls
Non-constructive criticism

So yeah, that's me. I hope to get to know you guys and I hope that being here will help me jump-start my writing. :)
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:37 pm
crossroads says...

Heyo, welcome!

We strive to make YWS the safest possible, but it's still a good call not to use your real name ^^ You can definitely count on getting a nickname, though, that happens to everyone around here :mrgreen:

You seem like you'll fit right in, and I'm sure you'll get all the answers and criticism you need here. Feel free to poke me if you have any questions or need help navigating the site~
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:19 am
Iggy says...

Welcome to YWS! :)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:00 am
TigersMoon says...

Welcome to YWS! I hope you enjoy it here!
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:44 am
CuriosityCat says...

Hello and welcome to the wonderful (and slightly mad) world of Young Writers Society! :D
(I see you like Doctor Who AND classical music, some of my favorite things. Cool username, too! :) *thumbs up*)
Have a nice stay here, and if you absolutely must leave, please exit through the gift shop. ;)
Nothing to see here, puny mortals. Move along.

"I’m always going to embarrass myself and I’m pretty comfortable with that now."
— Misha Collins

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:22 pm
View Likes
ThereseCricket says...

Welcome to the site!

Yup, if you like piano and classical music then you and I are going to be friends. ^-^ Hope you like it here and let me know if you need anything!
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:57 pm
View Likes
r4p17 says...

Hey, Mead! (As Aria said you get nicknames pretty quickly around here)! I am sure you will love it here!

You mentioned that you like to plan everything out before you write. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when you are too concerned with everything in your first draft being perfect that is a problem! My advice to you would be to jump in and doing National Novel Writing Month if you aren't all ready doing it this year! It is all ready day 12, but it would being a good excercise to do in not planning. However, if not you could try doing something like writing for a writing promp. You could try a lot of creative things like that!

I also am a fan of classical music so you should fit right in!

Finally, you say you don't like nonconstructive criticism. Reviewing is one of the things that YWS stresses. Most of the people here believe in quality being greater than quantity, so most of the reviews should be helpful. If you want to I could review some of your works after NaNoWriMo is over! I could also point you to some other good reviewers including @ThereseCricket! :P
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:33 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

Thanks everyone!

@r4p17 I like the nickname! Also, I've always wanted to try NaNoWriMo, but I really, really wish it wasn't in November. That's one of the busiest months of the year for me. Why can't it be in July or something like that?

And about the reviewing, I looked around here a bit before joining, and this place's reviews is a large part of what made me decide to join. I like reviewing almost as much as I like writing, so this system works perfectly for me!
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:42 pm
Snazzy says...

Welcome to YWS Meandbooks! Your hobbies are pretty much the exact same as mine, minus the viola. (though I would like to try some new instruments! :D ) I guess this is a little late, but Welcome to the site anyway!! :D :)
Disciple of Christ • Coffee Addict • Poetry Consumer

Formerly SnazzyPencil

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:41 pm
crossroads says...

There's camp NaNoWriMo in July, and quite a few of us around here participate in that one too ;)

But if you don't have time during any "official" writing month, you can always make an agreement to make a personal one with someone. Take me as example, if you feel like dedicating a month to working on a novel in NaNo style, feel free to come to my wall and be like "hey let's do that together!". I bet more people would join us - and even if they wouldn't, one person is enough to poke you about your wordcount and discuss stuff anyway xD
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

No matter what happens I'll always know there's a quote of mine in the YWS quote generator.
— looseleaf