z

Young Writers Society

Howdy :D

Reviews: 2
Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54 pm
Nerosns says...

Hey So I've been a member since 2011, I've been inactive 95% of that time so people here don't know me well so I thought I'd say hi again! Hi!

Also I have a question. When posting to this website (Literature not chat). Is this website grounds to hold up copyright claims?

I understand when the pen comes off the paper that you are covered by copyright, I'm more concerned that I do NOT have a lisence to a copyrighting company that stores proof of my work.

It's unfortunate that people steal, I just wanna share haha Thanks for any helps!

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:55 am
View Likes
Aley says...

Hi!

I've done a little bit, a very little bit, of looking into this because I feel like this is something that you're going to have to reassure yourself with, but what I can tell you is that Young Writers Society's copyright policy : copyright.php does maintain that you have the rights to your work if you post it here.

Really, this question is more involved then that though. To answer if you have the copyright to something if you've posted it up on a website deals more with claiming copyright than with YWS in particular. In my area, it is.

To claim that something is your property first in a battle, you probably have to prove that you wrote it first with a draft that can pre-date the other individual's copy. A copy saved on your computer which dates the creation of the document might be able to do that for you, and Young Writers Society does date work in that respect, and thus provide a quick way to prove that it was written first by a particular user. The thing is, you also would have to prove that your account is, well, your account too. So it is probably possible to use Young Writers Society to help prove you came up with the text first.

Where you live might be different, but I think it's the same all over.

For more information I strongly encourage you to research the topic for yourself and perhaps even teach us about it. You could write an article for our Knowledge Base: viewforum.php?f=320 and give us an education ^.-

Does that answer your question?

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:49 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

Alley is very right! You will always retain ownership to anything you post on YWS. Thus is both because A) copyright is automatically applied to anything you personally and originally create and B) YWSers retain the First North American Serial Rights to what they post here. First NA Serial Rights have to do more with publishing than potential plagiarism, but mean that anything posted on YWS has not been published by/via YWS and therefore YWS does not own any rights to your work.

Now to the issue of plagiarism/theft of your work, there's really no guarantee we can give you against that. The internet is the internet and you must always be cautious. However, we have dealt with very very few issues of members having their work "stolen" on YWS so I don't think you have anything to worry about here! Also I don't know if it's still a feature, but you used to be able to set literary works to show up for only registered members of YWS (so a random internet search would not bring up your work) which might give you some piece of mind.
Got YWS?

401 Reviews

Reviews: 401
Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:17 am
ThereseCricket says...

Welcome back! ;) Hope you enjoy your stay!
In Truth Unity,
In Doubt Liberty,
In all things Charity.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:15 pm
manisha says...

Welcome back!
If Novels are a bucket of imagination, Short story is a bucket of imagination made to fit a mug.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:52 am
Iggy says...

Welcome to YWS!
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

Reviews: 2
Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:01 am
Nerosns says...

Wooot!
Thanks everyone for the welcomes and on topic replies!

I've only ever really posted a few story based pieces here on YWS yet I have years of heart felt lyrics just lying around. I'd like to share some, which isn't always the most fun in person hahah

Okay guys and girls, get ready feel what I feel and deal what I deal,
Cause imma hardcore gangsta with sarcasm in my spiel,,

Yes, I can assure you that was entirely a joke.

What will live longer, you or your words? Something to think about the next time you abandon a project...
— Omni