Love Like Clockwork 1

by Twit

1

The letter was propped up against the teapot and morning muffins. I pulled out my chair and sat down, reaching for the cup of tea Effie had already poured. ‘Who delivered that, Effie?’

‘I don’t know sir. It was on the mat when I came down.’

‘No seal?’

‘No sir.’

My address was written on the front in neat black letters, and there was a tiny ink spot in one corner. It looked boring. ‘It’s probably from a client. Do you have the newspapers?’

‘I’ve not ironed them yet, sir.’

‘Oh never mind, just bring them in.’

She raised her eyebrows a little. I wiggled my eyebrows back at her and grinned. She blushed pink as an alpenrose, ducking her head. ‘I’ll fetch them, sir.’

She went through to the kitchen and brought them back and I arranged them on the table in order of interest—French papers first, then English—and picked up Gazette de France.The French papers always arrived out of date—this one was over month old, dated March 10, 1799—and most of their news was already common knowledge. Still, just holding a French paper made me feel a little closer to home, and if Geneva was mentioned in any newspaper, it was usually in a French one.

The news was unpleasant. Napoleon had broken Jaffa; the siege was over and the port had been ransacked, with thousands of its soldiers massacred. I scanned the rest of the sheet for any news of Switzerland, but there was nothing. I tossed the paper onto the floor despondently and reached for The Times. I had been hopeful, but today there was nothing about the war, not even a footnote. Just notices about auctions and meetings and anniversary dinners of some society or other. I sighed and laid it back on the table. My hands were black with ink, and I wiped them absent-mindedly on my trousers.

‘Oh, sir, no!’ Effie pounced with a wet cloth. ‘Oh, I should have ironed them...’

I took the cloth and dabbed at my trousers. The ink stains turned a dirty grey against the light beige fabric, but my coat would cover it. I offered Effie the cloth. ‘As always Effie, I must bow to your superior knowledge of housekeeping.’

She tutted. ‘That’s another good pair of trousers ruined. I couldn’t get the acid and paint out of the last lot. You’ll have to see the tailor soon or go without.’

I shrugged and smiled. ‘Where’s the jam?’

She pulled it out from underneath The Daily Courant, and I cut open a muffin. ‘Thank you Effie. You may go now.’

‘Thank you sir.’ She bobbed a little curtsey and went out.

I munched in silence for a while before I remembered the letter and plucked it from where it had fallen between the teapot and sugar bowl. No seal, but when I opened it, there was a name at the top: Thomas Newman. I took another bite of muffin and settled down to read.

Dear M. Roussel,

My name is Thomas Newman. I am a constable in the organisation known as the Bow Street Runners. I very much wish to speak with you on a personal matter and business proposition. It will be to our mutual benefit if we meet today (29 April) outside St Bartholomew’s Hospital after you have finished your anatomy lecture there this afternoon at three o’clock. Please be punctual.

Yours sincerely,

Constable Thomas Newman.

I folded the letter, frowning. A constable? What was this about? For a second I felt fear flutter in my stomach, but pushed it aside. He couldn’t possibly know about the bodies; no one knew except Kettlesing and me, and Kettlesing wouldn’t give the time of day to anyone, much less consort with one of the Bow Street Runners. Besides, if Mr Newman did know anything, he would have hauled me up before the magistrate, not sent me a letter. No, this was something different. ‘Personal matter’ usually meant a client wanted whatever it was handled discreetly. He wouldn’t be the first lonely man to write to me demanding I make him a wife or mistress. I sighed and tucked the letter inside my pocket. It was always awkward having to deny requests like that, and I hated having to disappoint them.

I finished my tea and gathered the breakfast things together and took them out to the kitchen. Effie was sitting at the table drinking chocolate, but she leapt at once to her feet exclaiming, ‘I’m sorry, sir, did you call?’ I shook my head and she quickly took the crockery. ‘You should let me tidy up, sir.’

‘Yes,’ I said, not really listening. ‘Effie, what would you tell a man who wanted a wife?’

‘Was that what was in the letter, sir?’

‘Yes, I think so. A man wants to see me on ‘a personal matter’, and that usually means something like that. So what would you say?’

‘Well, I’d explain to him why I couldn’t do it and then...’ She thought about it. ‘I don’t know, sir. Tell him to go out and meet people.’

‘Meet people. Yes, I suppose that makes sense, although they wouldn’t like to hear it.’

‘Or maybe—’ Effie stopped.

‘What?’

She laid the crockery on the table and began unstacking the plates. Then she turned back and looked up at me. She was blushing again, but her dark eyes were very bright. ‘Maybe it doesn’t matter to them. Some people are so lonely, they’d want any kind of companion, even if it can’t love them back. You make companions for widowers or governesses for children. Why should a wife be so different?’

I was astonished. ‘It’s completely different! I can’t make emotions and the relationship between a husband and wife is all about emotion! Marriage is meant to be a partnership, a joining together of two people who think the same and feel the same. But my creatures don't have minds. They’re just clockwork, Effie, they can’t feel. They’re not human, you know that.’

‘Maybe that doesn’t matter to some people,’ she said stubbornly. ‘They just want to love. It doesn’t matter if they’re not loved in return.’

I stared at her in bewilderment. Back home in Geneva we’d never had any servants so I was never sure exactly how to treat them or even that I’d needed any, but everyone in London expected one to have them if one was respectable, and it did help in running a business if people considered one respectable. Effie’s outspokenness was one of the reasons I’d hired her, but her opinions did startle me sometimes, and this took me completely by surprise. Somehow I had expected her to be a romantic, someone who at least hoped for reciprocal love. Unrequited love had always seemed to me rather pathetic, despite numerous ballads and serials declaring to the contrary, but Effie could hardly be described as pathetic.

‘I had no idea you felt that way,’ I said. I had no idea that anyone could feel that way. Could there really be people as lonely as that? I could understand having a clockwork creature as a companion; that was more like having a solemn dog or monkey about the place, but as a wife or husband? It felt wrong. I could calibrate some diversity of personality, but not enough to generate real emotions. They just were not human.

‘I’m sorry sir.’ Effie turned away and began scrubbing the table. ‘It’s not my place. You know best what to tell the gentleman.’

‘I’m not sure that I do,’ I said frankly. ‘I appreciate your honesty, Effie.’

‘It’s not my place, sir.’ She dug the cloth violently into the table so the stacked crockery chattered in protest.

I looked at her stiff shoulders and sighed. ‘Mrs Shiller is visiting this afternoon with Clothilde. I may be a little late after my lecture, so if I am not back when they arrive, please show them into the drawing room and assure them I won’t be long.’

‘Yes sir.’

Sins wrote a review...

Twitty-ditty-litty-hit!

I haven't reviewed in centuries so this will most likely be awful, but hey ho, that's how the cookie crumbles. I'm also searching through this hot guy's photos on facebook at the moment, so that may distract me, and that's probably not a good thi--omg, omg, omg, he has green eyes and I didn't even notice. Oh my days, I'm going to marry him.

But yeah, sorry, review. Here I go.

This is personal preference really, but I always want an opening of a novel to grip me, whether it be by shocking me or simply making me think. It's just that I don't get that here. If this had ended with Effie's face blowing up, I'd be having a whale of a time... Okay, that's a bad example, but it's something to think about, right?

This is 100% me knowing nothing about history, but I keep imagining Effie whipping out an iron and ironing the newspapers, and it's really rather funny.

I finished my tea and gathered the breakfast things together and took them out to the kitchen.

This sentence reads a little awkwardly to me. I think it's the repetition of 'and'... Could you maybe change it to I finished my tea, gathered the breakfast things together and took them out to the kitchen?

I found this very intriguing overall, I must say. Historical fiction is usually a genre I shy away from while hissing and jabbing a crucifix at the historicalness, so the fact that I was genuinely interested says a lot. I like the subtle mystery you've got in here, from the strange letter to your peculiar MC. As for the characters as a whole, I like what I've seen so far. Your MC seems unique, especially for the era this is set in and I love what we've seen of Effie so far because she doesn't seem like your average 18th century servant.

While I mentioned your opening not being the most gripping in the world earlier, I have to agree a little with barefootrunner about it not being a train crash because as I read on, my curiosity was taken by the letter having just appeared there and what not. Nonetheless, my OCDness still tingles a little because I know that there are freaks out there who wouldn't bother reading anymore if the first sentence or two weren't satisfactory enough for them. Stoopid people. In the end, it's up to you what you want to do with your opening chapter, and in all honesty, it would hardly be the end of the world if you simply left it as it is. If you can though, there wouldn't be any harm in experimenting with it a bit.

As a whole, I loved the tone and style of this chapter right here. It certainly suited the era well, and I appreciated the small details here and there that really gave it that old-fashioned feel. The only slight critique I have for you in terms of that is that the language you used in the narrative maybe could've been more fancy every now and then, simply because the MC is a posh old one.

Take your use of the word 'things' here. It seems like the MC should refer to the breakfast 'things' as breakfast 'delicacies', or something like that. That's an awful example really, but does that kind of make sense? 'Things' is such a general word, and not really a word you'd expect someone like this guy to be using because it's expected his vocabulary would be quite colourful as a whole due to his obvious intelligence, wealth, social class e.t.c.

Stupid little nit-picks that aren't very helpful at all aside, I think that's it. There's not much else to say about this piece really because it's very clean and a really great read overall. I kind of want the ending to be more gripping, but then I'm some whacked up adrenaline junky when it comes to first chapters, so that's from a biased perspective. Sorry I've not been much help, but I believe you've done an overall awesome job here, Twit. I congratulate thee.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:34 am
Noelle wrote a review...

Hi there! Noelle here to review as requested.

I'm so sorry. For some reason, I didn't get a notification that you posted on my WRFF thread so I thought I was all up to date. But I'm here now, so here goes.

After reading this through, I really couldn't find anything particularly wrong or any grammar or spelling mistakes so I'll go straight to the characters.

I think the relationship between the main character and Effie is very interesting. At the beginning, I thought Effie was going to be like a typical servant, bustling around and doing whatever the man asked. But as I read on, I realized she's much more than that. And after reading that this man never had a servant before, it made sense the way she is treated.

You did a good job building up the relationship between this man and Effie. It's kind of like a forbidden love, but I know they don't love each other. It's more that it's not socially acceptable for them to have such a close friendship. Yet here they are, having conversations like they're equals. I like it.

**Noelle**

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:08 pm
polinkacreations wrote a review...

Hey there Twit, I'm here to review, as requested;)
First of all - may I say that this was an absolute pleasure to read. I love how it's historically accurate, it's been a while since I read a story set so far back into the past - and you've done it brilliantly. I really felt like I was in 1800, like I was gone from reality the entire time I read this - which is always a great sign.

~
Now, onto the details:

I scanned the rest of the sheet for any news of Switzerland, but there was nothing.
- I grinned at this bit, because having lived in Switzerland for six years and learning of its history - anything rarely happens there, no wars or mentions of such. Not even a little unrest - but I'm sure you know that :D But, short sentences like these really add to the atmosphere of the story, and historical accuracy, too.
She bobbed a little curtsey and went out.
- Love the language that you are using here, once again adding to the atmosphere.
My name is Thomas Newman. I am a constable in the organisation known as the Bow Street Runners.
- first nitpick I've got so far. I feel like the two sentences should be joined, but even better I would avoid the "My name is" bit. You see, the name is already on the letter and at the bottom. This is a really small thing, but since you are making the letter sound very mysterious, I'd suggest cutting the word limit down - less is more. Only leave the important information - the invitation, and the name. That way, the reader is even more intrigued and eager to find out more: what does a constable want from our main character? Why is it our main character that he chose? Etc.
What was this about?
- What was "that" about, or what "is" this about. Otherwise, the tenses get mixed up.
He couldn’t possibly know about the bodies;
- Ooh, spooky! Love how this seemingly random remark changed my whole perception of the character. Great stuff.
the breakfast things
- another little thing, this seems quite awkward to me. Breakfast things? You mean the crockery, plates, teacup? The phrase seems a little out of place, but still no biggie.
I can’t make emotions and the relationship between a husband and wife is all about emotion!
- I feel like this sentence is missing punctuation, or is in need of re-phrasing. For example: "The relationship between a husband and wife is all about emotion - I cannot recreate those feelings!"
we’d never had any servants
- "We never had" or "we'd never have"
but her opinions did startle me sometimes, and this took me completely by surprise.
- You repeat yourself here. My suggestion is to leave only the last bit, or the phrase before it.
her stiff shoulders
- I'm not sure how you can see one's shoulders being stiff. Angular, possibly?

~
Wow, I am now off to the next chapter, feeling intrigued and pleasantly surprised. This piece of writing is simply brilliant, and I want to congratulate you. I found many more positives than negatives, and enjoyed the plot greatly. Even if character descriptions were not given, I had formed a pretty solid impression of both Effie and the mystery murder-man. :D And as for the atmosphere - I think I already said this many times - is very well established. However, I would suggest some more description of the surroundings, this can also help you to bring out the personality of the main character.

Hope this helped!
~polinkacreations

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:03 pm
barefootrunner wrote a review...

Spelling and grammar (and other nitpicks):
This piece doesn't really need this, and most of the samples are merely suggestions for improvement, but I am horrible, and I decided to pick on you because you made a double space here—

I tossed the paper onto the floor despondently and reached for The Times.

In this one, the 'can' could do well as a 'may', seeing as it's not even 1800.
She pulled it out from underneath The Daily Courant, and I cut open a muffin. ‘Thank you Effie. You can go now.’

The comma is superfluous. It chops up the sentence, which reads much more smoothly without one.
‘Thank you sir.’ She bobbed a little curtsey, and went out.

Speak 'to' you.
I very much wish to speak with you on a personal matter and business proposition.

This is just a really small point. I doubt whether this really matters, but the Bow Street Runners never referred to themselves as 'Runners', considering the term derogatory. It was only the common nickname given by the public. Try using something that defines the unit, such as its base, at the Bow Street Magistrates' Court, instead. 'An organisation based at the...' or something or other in that line, or maybe 'commonly known as the Bow Street Runners'.
Also, I rather like 'a constable of' instead of 'in', but that is up to you.
I am a constable in the organisation known as the Bow Street Runners.

Look at your sentence structure here:
She raised[b/] her eyebrows a little. [b]I wiggled my eyebrows back at her and grinned. She blushed pink as an alpenrose, ducking her head. ‘I’ll fetch them, sir.’

She went through to the kitchen and brought them back and I arranged them on the table in order of interest—French papers first, then English—and picked up Gazette de France.

It's all 'I did this', 'she did that' etc. Some variation would be great.

Here:
[quote]I finished my tea and gathered the breakfast things together and took them out to the kitchen.
It could work as it is, but that's up to you entirely.

General:

Now, just a note—you did not have me hooked by the first line, but this is not a train crash at all. It was so general and conventional that I scudded right over it and had to backtrack at the 'Who delivered that' part. Maybe I have ADD, because I really liked it when I went over it a second time. It made me wish that I was lying in bed and drinking something hot and that this was not going to stop by the end of this post. So it is up to you. This does not seem like the kind of story that needs a killing opening line, so I recommend keeping it. The next few lines are gripping enough to stabilise the reader.

I really liked the research (or really good general knowledge) that you put into this. It is noticed and appreciated. Especially subtle details like 'drinking chocolate' instead of 'drinking hot chocolate'. The ironing, elaborate breakfast routine etc. is great. Even the single word 'sugar bowl' sets the scene marvellously.

Character development is great. I know exactly who the characters are and what they do.

The scene is set perfectly. I know exactly where and when the characters are.

Tone—perfect. You have drawn me in beautifully. Just shy of the old classic style.

There is a really nice flow going here.

In short—great. I want more, I like your characters, I like the unfolding of the plot. Fantastic.

Loved this!

barefoot

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi! Oooh so now we have an earlier section, very good.

1.

I pulled out my chair and sat down, reaching for the cup of tea Effie had already pouredfor me.
Sometimes you can improve how a novel reads just by making the sentences a little more efficient.

2. The discussion about ironing the newspapers is great, it really helps to set the scene and let us know that the novel's going to be a bit dated. Good thinking.

3. Pink as a poppy seems awkward to me because poppies aren't pink. They're very definitely red...

4. Good use of the papers to help us place a year on this as well. It might be even better if you noted the actual date though. That would help people who aren't very good with their French history (like me).

5. Ah so you have the date in the letter. I'm not sure that it fits there, it seems strange that a person would feel the need to tell someone when today is, right down to the year. I think perhaps include that in the newspapers section instead.

6. Nice mention of the bodies and very casual, good. That adds a nice level of intrigue.

7.
You tell it to dress a child or take the child out for a walk and it will do it, but it won’t understand if you tell it to love a child.
Missing a word there ;)

8. I'm not sure that I like how thorough the explanation of what he does is. It will ruin the meeting in the next scene - earlier we had some room to wonder if the narrator wasn't some kind of pshychopath but now you've laid it all bare. If this is the beginning of the novel, you don't want to do that. Be more teasing. Leave us hanging a little longer before you reveal what's going on.

Good stuff! Your dialogue and descriptions are lovely and this has a great flow to it. I liked both of the characters and there's enough going on to keep me entertained. I've not much else to say outside of my inline comments - this is a solid chapter.

Heather xxx

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:20 am
Tybalt says...

... I hate to sound like such a geek, but this reminded me of Star Trek- Star Trek, The Next Generation that is :). If you've seen the series, or even know about it, you probably know what I'm getting at... if not, well, there's a character on STNG named Mr. Data, and he's an android. Emotionless. Eventually he gets emotions, but I'm not going to go into detail. Also the captain on STNG was from France...

Anywho.

I actually found everything before the "He couldn’t possibly know about the bodies" part a bit boring. However most stories take much longer to entice me, so congratulations. I'm not positive what you meant by 'the bodies'- although I have my suspicions... I won't say though.

Also, one typo:

You tell it to dress a child or take #FF0000 ">the out for a walk and it will do it,

I suppose you meant "the child out" instead of "the out".

Overall I'm very intrigued... I'm really liking the setup you gave us, and I would love to read more!

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:39 am
Rubric wrote a review...

As is my habit, I'll begin with the specific, and meander toward the general. As replies tend to artificially inflate the review count of a piece, It'd be best to reach me via my wall, through PM, or on my Will Review For Food if you'd like a repeat performance, or if you find yourself with a bone to pick. Without further ado:

"blushed pink as a poppy"
I enjoyed this, as it gives a pleasant insight into his character that he would use this simile. It's pleasant, and a little genteel.

", and if Geneva was mentioned in any newspaper, it was usually in a French one."
This may be a run on sentence (there's a lot going on, and several distinct ideas contained in the one sentence, regardless of whether it fits the definition of that term), in which case the second to last comma should be a period and the shorter second sentence would begin with "If".

"I tossed the paper despondently onto the floor and"
Stylistically I probably would have gone for "I tossed the paper onto the floor despondently" but I'm not sure if it's better or worse. Perhaps the despondence should be transmitted through a means other than the adverb?

"He couldn’t possibly know about the bodies"
This is a fantastic wham line. Caught me of guard and dragged my attention to the page with a feverish intensity.

" I make him a wife or mistress"
An intriguing turn of phrase.

"but everyone in London expected one to have them if one was respectable"
lovely little social insight. Well done.

"I used a mixture of flesh and clockwork"
Getting a little into frankenstein territory. Sweet.

Overall I'd say the greatest strengths of the piece are the gentle narration, which keeps the piece accessible and historically situated without being anachronistic, and the elegantly placed world-building, which teases and informs, without dumping information on the information in an insulting or simplistic manner.

I certainly enjoyed the piece and look forward to seeing you develop this further.

Cheers,
Rubric

Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon