z

Young Writers Society



WW, 1st Poem Ever - A Creak in the Night

by ShortBus


 I know nothing about poetry but I gave it a shot anyway. This is my very 1st. I was in a word war so I only had 15 minutes to write this. Rhyming is harder than I thought it would be, but this is what came out of it.
____________________________________

A Creak in the Night

 

I lay in my room and can feel the dreams coming,

when I hear that fateful sound that awakens me, stunning.

He has been drinking again, so I know he feels cunning.

She is caught again, and there's no time for running.

 

She doesn't fight or scream any longer.

It's been over a year and she has gotten stronger.

She has nothing to sell, but she feels like a monger.

He sneaks into her room as if he was a conger.

 

The muffled sounds I can hear through my wall

echo in my mind as I lay in a sprawl.

I cannot move even though I want to brawl,

I cannot sit up, let alone crawl.

 

I can see my sister inside my mind.

I can sense her bravery, the strongest of any kind.

I can feel the proverbial knot as she is in a bind.

I can smell my own urine as I try to unwind.

 

I can hear the bed creaking,

and no one is speaking.

No one is peeking,

but I know that not one tear is leaking.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
270 Reviews


Points: 5081
Reviews: 270

Donate
Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:28 am
View Likes



Yikes! You fell into the rhyming trap, as I know Kyllorac has already explained. You say this is your first poem, so it's a great start! Everyone does the "must rhyme EVERYTHING" when starting out. (At least, I think they do. There could be exceptions. :P)

I also wanted to say, kudos on your response to Kyll's review. I'm impressed with your attitude--not everyone is so graceful about accepting criticism.

.....is this awkward of me to say, here?

Anyway, this is a great "launchpad" for your work. Learn from reviews like Cadi's and Kyll's--yes, they do know their stuff. At the same time, they're not perfect and you need to find your own style, so take every single piece of advice you get with a grain of salt. Most of it will be good, and you should listen to it--but again, your own style, your own voice. Learn from the best, and go your own way.

....I have now repeated myself at least twice, so I bid you good day. *tips hat* (Good night, really, but it doesn't quite matter. :P)




User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 9326
Reviews: 107

Donate
Sat May 26, 2012 5:02 pm
View Likes
Cadi wrote a review...



Hey there, Bus.

Now, I don't really do that poetry thing very much, but I thought I'd take a stab at reviewing this one. I find it interesting that you wordwarred it - I usually find that wordwars aren't overly useful for poetry. Wordwars tend to be useful for getting some words on the page - for example, in the first draft of a novel - but aren't so good for the times when you need to focus on which words are on the page.

Possibly because this is a direct wordwar product, there are quite a few things about this that I feel could use some work. In particular, you seem to be focusing mostly on the rhyming. Remember that not all poetry has to rhyme, and that if you do write a rhyming poem, you shouldn't sacrifice the sense or the feel of a line to make it rhyme - forcing it just makes the poem feel unnatural. Lines that feel particularly forced include those ending in 'monger' and 'conger', and the 'bind'/'unwind' pair.

Something that's important to the flow of a poem is the rhythm of the lines. The easiest way to find out where the stresses fall is to read it aloud - try reading your first two lines out loud.

I lay in my room and can feel the dreams coming

In this first line, you've got a quite nice and natural-feeling dum da da going on, and it rolls very easily off the tongue. But then we move to the second line...

when I hear that fateful sound that awakens me, stunning.

...and I'm not quite sure which bits of this to embolden, especially in the first half. It doesn't fall into a natural pattern like the one before, and because of that, the reader is jolted out of the poem's flow.

As a final note, you seemed concerned in chat that nobody would get what the poem is about. I think I'm getting a vague picture, but it's just that - vague. I think that if you polished this up, focusing more on the sense and the flow than on making it rhyme, you could make it a lot sharper and really pull on your reader's emotions.

Feel free to message me about anything I've said here.

Cadi x




User avatar
82 Reviews


Points: 2557
Reviews: 82

Donate
Sat May 26, 2012 12:05 am
View Likes
TheClosetKidnapper wrote a review...



This is very moving. It tells the story of something most can't bear to think about and tells it beautifully. You have excellent word choice and decent rhythm. The rhyme scheme is kept throughout, which I believe helps the poem in a way. There are some places where the rhyme is weak, such as "echo in my mind as I lay in a sprawl," I found this line a little awkward, which could be fixed with a little rephrasing. Other than that, I don't see much else.

Great job! I hope this helps!

- Up




User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 963
Reviews: 33

Donate
Fri May 25, 2012 11:25 pm
View Likes
eyeofthestorm wrote a review...



Well, first of all, I really like your poem. It's very suspenseful.

I think the rhyme scheme is a little distracting, honestly. It gets in the way of what you want to say rather than enhancing it. For a poem like this I would use slant rhymes a little more, but you're the poet, it's your decision.

There are some places where I think the flow could be smoothed out a little, but adjusting the rhyme scheme would make that much easier.

This is a good poem though, so keep writing, I would love to see more of your work!




ShortBus says...


Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I really have no idea what I'm doing. I'll learn about line schemes and some of the poetry lingo as I go. Your right about the flow though. I know it completly fell apart at the end, but I was on minute 14 out of 15 so I had to rush it. Thanks again.



User avatar
1220 Reviews


Points: 72525
Reviews: 1220

Donate
Fri May 25, 2012 11:22 pm
View Likes
Kale wrote a review...



Next time, before you go posting right after writing something, please please please take the time to revise it. Please. Your reviewers would greatly appreciate it because then they could focus on the content and applications of technique rather than basic grammar and structural issues.

That said, right in the first line, we have a case of wrong tense used. "Lay" there should be "lie".

The "stunning" in the second line makes no sense grammatically or in-context, and so it is rather obviously there purely for the sake of rhyming. This is bad as it cheapens the rhyme scheme of your entire poem.

Similarly, the third line of the second stanza suffers from forced-rhyme syndrome, though in the third line's case, it's more because "monger" is such an unusual word, it feels out of place. The fourth line of the second stanza, however, has no excuse for being as obviously forced as it is, and it isn't helped by another case of wrong tense; "was" should be "were".

I cannot move even though I want to brawl,

And this line doesn't make sense, especially not in conjunction with the line right after it. Brawling is a result of anger, rather than fear or helplessness. If someone wants to brawl, it's because they're motivated to do harm to someone, which means they are not going to just lie there and take it. They're going to go out and actively attack someone. Now, if you'd written "bawl" instead, it would make much more sense.

I can feel the proverbial knot as she is in a bind.
I can smell my own urine as I try to unwind.

Forced rhymes resulting in unfortunate implications? Check. The narrator's sister is being raped, and all he wants to do is unwind. Congratulations! You've portrayed your narrator as a complete jerk who is as guilty as his father concerning the rape of his sister. People try to unwind when nothing terrible is going on by doing enjoyable things. Seeing as how your narrator is trying to unwind, that implies that not only does he find nothing wrong with is sister's rape, he's actually enjoying it.

You should seriously reconsider your word choice here.

No one is peeking,
but I know that not one tear is leaking.

And here we have a prime example of uneven line lengths completely throwing off the rhythm, and in turn making the rhyme fall completely apart. Rhymes rely on patterns in the rhythm; destroy the pattern of rhythm, and you destroy the rhyme. One of the easiest ways to establish a basic pattern of rhythm is to count the syllables in each line and make sure the rhyming lines have the same number of syllables.

These two lines are not the only cases where the rhythm sabotaged the rhyme; they were the most obvious, however.

Overall, you need to take a closer look at your word choice and ensure your writing is grammatically sound. You also need to ensure that your rhyme is a natural result of the rhythm and flow of ideas. If the idea doesn't make sense in the poem, it doesn't fit and should not be shoehorned in no matter how perfect a rhyme it makes. Lastly, before you submit a poem (or any work) for critique, it is always a good idea to revise it at least once first.

Your reviewers will really appreciate it.




ShortBus says...


Hey, thanks! That was some really good information you gave me. I honestly had no idea what I was doing. I'm glad you dissected the whole thing. You pointed out a lot of stuff that I need to look for. I was completely oblivious about rhythm and didn't even concider grammar. I think I was too worried about rhyming. I know some of those words didn't work all the way, but I couldn't really think of anything else that rhymed. The "brawl" I meant that the boy wanted to fight. "I cannot move even though I want to fight,". I thought since it meant the same thing it would work. I did completely wiff on the "unwind" thing though. I wanted to say "unbind" but I had bind in the sentence above it. Then I tried to link unwind with knot, but that didn't work at all%u263A. I definitely have to form some sort of structure and really think about what I'm doing. You pointed out a lot of things that I need to concider.

I do have to be a bit cynical. Aside from all of the mistakes, did you like it? And do you think I have potential of any kind? (you really seem like you know what your doing%u263A)

Sorry for then long reply but that was a great review and it helped me a lot. Thanks again.




You can not put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator.
— alliyah