Ch 1. (part 1)

by DudeMcGuy

This is a re-up of a work I posted before. It has been edited and tweaked based on the comments of the YWS.

Chapter 1 – Bound for Melliark

Juliana brushed her long white hair behind her ear as she turned the page of the storybook. Her eyes quickly jumped to the first line as she continued without further delay. She made sure to speak clearly so her grandfather could hear her voice over the sound of the horse’s hooves.

Another awkward pause was eventually broken by the dragon,” she read. “I have decided to give my life in ser--”.

“Enough of this!” Radi shouted. “Can we be done with this tale and move on?”

The boy’s grandfather quickly turned to the back of the wagon. “Hold your tongue Radi! Must you always interrupt your sister while she’s reading?”

“I’ve only so much patience for such ridiculous stories,” the young man said. “It was decent enough when they fought in the storm, but that was far too brief. And the man and beast speak to each other freely? Please, I’ve been containing my laughter for some time now.”

The grandfather’s focus returned to the road. “Cease your complaining child! Be silent and allow Juliana to finish the story.”

“I’m sorry, who is a child? Your age has impaired your memory old man. You should show a soldier more respect. Or was that not a common practice in your younger days?”

“Don’t push me Radi,” the old man said. “You’re not a soldier yet. And perhaps if you acted like one I would treat you as such.”

Juliana let out a deep sigh as her brother and grandfather traded verbal blows. Will there be a single day on this journey without their petty quarreling? she thought. The girl looked to her left at the fourth member of their group. He must assume our entire family acts like those two.

As far as Juliana could tell, the young man appeared to have no reaction to the abrupt interruption of the reading. He continued to sit still at the back of the cart and silently stare at the empty space in front of him; just as he had done since the day he joined them. The boy remained in the same position; sitting with his legs crossed and arms folded, moving only to occasionally stretch his legs or drink from a leather flask resting by his side.

He must be lonely, Juliana thought. What could he be thinking about? And why was he so sad?

Radi turned to her. “Listen to the old fool. It’s obvious why he doesn’t trust me to steer.”

Juliana shook her head and glared at him as she placed the book marker to save the page.

“Don’t stare at me like that,” he said. “You know he’s jealous of me.”

Ignoring her brother’s childish behavior, Juliana stood and cautiously moved to the empty seat at the front of the wagon. Her eyes adjusted to the light as she sat beside her grandfather.

It was a partly cloudy afternoon with no threat of rain. The small, two horse wagon advanced through a forest between two large hills; the wildlife chirping softly behind the trees as they passed. Patches of sunlight leaked through the woods’ natural canopy of oak trees to the ground below.

The man placed his right hand on his granddaughter’s knee. “Is something troubling you Julie?”

“No grandpa. Why do you assume so?”

“Julie, you haven’t forgotten already have you? I told you when we left that I would be up here for you.”

Juliana frowned as she recalled her embarrassing moment of weakness . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------

Four days earlier, as the wagon departed from her home, Juliana said goodbye to her parents. She waved to them and tried to stay strong despite the feeling of sadness that overcame her. The young woman had never spent a single night away from home.

When the farm disappeared over the western horizon, Juliana lost control and began to cry. Her older brother tried to console her, but was clumsy in his attempts to do so. A few moments later, her grandfather brought the wagon to a halt and invited Juliana to join him in the front.

He embraced his weeping granddaughter and told her, “Juliana, please don’t cry. Today is the first day in the rest of your life. It is a good day.”

The tears flowed down Juliana’s face to the base of her chin. “But grandpa! I heard some of the villagers say that those who leave for the capital never return! I . . . I want to see mother and father again.”

“Julie, you know that’s not true. Did your father not return when you were younger? I lived in Melliark for many years before I met your grandmother. It’s not a scary place, it’s actually quite beautiful.”

“I-It is?”

“Of course! Haven’t you read all about it? The city is no different than Panelsca once you are settled. There’s nothing to be afraid of.”

Juliana glanced back in the direction they came. Her cloudy vision blurred the road as she thought of her parents.

“Julie, look at me,” her grandfather said.

Juliana wiped her tears and stared into the man’s dark brown eyes. The wrinkles on his face compressed together as he smiled at her.

“You will see them again, I promise.”

Juliana nodded and hugged her grandfather.

The man lightly whipped the horses with the black leather reins. He steered with one arm and held his granddaughter with the other. “If anything worries you, I’ll be here.”

Juliana was calmed by his comforting words. She rested her head on the old man’s shoulder and stayed with him a while longer before returning to the inside of the wagon. Juliana told herself to be stronger, and then vowed to never allow her emotions to be the cause of her family’s anxiety. She opened one of her study books and wiped away the last of her remaining tears.

Never again, she thought.

As she read to herself, Juliana noticed her brother was unusually quiet. She looked up at him and saw Radi staring at her from across the wagon. His concern was surprising to Juliana, who did not consider him to be the sensitive type. She smiled and laughed lightly to pacify his worry. Radi smiled back at her, and the siblings giggled together to erase the tension from a moment ago.

Later that day, the group stopped for their first meal on the road. The grandfather was occupied with the horses while Juliana retrieved water from a nearby stream. She filled the two small buckets as she heard Radi approaching her from behind.

“Um, Juliana?” he said.

“Yes Radi?” The girl stood and handed a pail to her brother. They began to trudge up the slippery embankment back towards the wagon.

“It’s not too late to turn back. If you’re not ready . . . then . . . the cleric school will be there next year as well.”

Juliana lifted her dress to her knees as her boots sank slightly into the mud. “I must go,” she said. “My healing magic will not grow stronger without their instruction.”

“Are you certain? There’s a difference between something you must do and something you want to do,” Radi said. “I must go, it’s the law. You could wait if you wished.”

“Very well then, I want to go,” she said. “I won’t lie to you brother. I was frightened, but I was not myself then. There’s no reason to wait any longer. I’ve nearly completed all of my preparation studies. And . . . I can’t let you go alone.”

The two cleaned their boots on the grass near the road.

“No one accompanied father to Melliark ,” Radi said.

“But you are not our father Radi.”

“You’re right Juliana, I’ve already surpassed him!”

“Hmm, we’ll have to wait and see about that!”

------------------------------------------------------------

The five day trip to Melliark was a physically unchallenging journey by wagon. The Panelsca region of Marceris was comprised mostly of plains, small woodlands, and a few lakes. There were no rivers to ford or mountains to cross. A single dirt road would lead the four of them across the open country until they reached the capital.

Juliana spent the majority of the first day listening to her grandfather as he reminisced about more difficult adventures he completed in the past. But she quickly became bored as he repeated the same stories again and again. Passing the time became her most difficult burden, and Radi grew tired of listening to the stories she read to him . . .

Juliana sighed. “I’ve been trying to forget about that day grandpa.”

“I’m sorry Julie,” the old man said. “I thought something must be troubling you when you came up here. You’ve been oddly quiet today.”

“Oh no, there’s nothing wrong,” she said. “I’m just tired. I did not sleep well last night.”

“I see.” The old man lifted his hand off of her knee.

“May we stop for brief rest? I’m sure Perron and Varrot are thirsty.”

“These horses are accustomed to long days Juliana. I would rather not stop until we make camp tonight. Help me find a suitable site in a few hours,” the old man answered.

Juliana gazed at the horizon and said nothing.

Her grandfather leaned in close and whispered into her ear, “Is he making you uncomfortable?”

“It’s nothing new,” she said quietly. “Radi has always been short tempered.”

“I didn’t mean him,” the grandfather replied.

Juliana realized that the only other person her grandfather could be referring to was the traveler who joined them two days earlier. She glanced over her shoulder at the young man who sat quietly at the back of their wagon. “I’m not bothered by him,” she whispered back.

“I’m glad,” said the old man. “He seems like a good boy to me.”

“How can you be sure?”

“Did you see how quickly he handed over his spear when I asked him to join us?” The old man pointed to the wooden weapon resting under his feet.

“Yes I remember,” Juliana said as she recalled the scene. “Why did he do that? You didn’t even ask him for it.”

The old man grinned and looked at her. “But he knew I would,” he said softly. “He knew I would feel uneasy letting him hold a weapon near my granddaughter.”

“Why did you invite him to come with us if you were so concerned?”

“He needed our help. Isn’t that reason enough? Do you know how long it would take him to reach Melliark on foot? We’re doing that boy a great favor.”

Juliana smiled back. “Well I’m not afraid of him grandpa. I’m actually worried about him.”

“Worried?” the grandfather asked quietly.

“He . . . he seems lonely. Each day he sits by himself and doesn’t say anything.”

“Why not go talk to him then?”

Juliana was surprised by her grandfather’s words. His suggestion seemed so simple, yet she was hesitant to act on it. She did not wish to reveal the true reason behind her concern for the young man, but she would not lie to her grandfather either.

“I . . . I can’t,” she said.

“Why?” whispered the old man.

“W-well, I uh . . .”

“Oh, I understand. Don’t worry Julie. You won’t be so nervous once you acquire some experience.”

“N-no. I . . . I’m not--”

“It’s nothing to be ashamed of Juliana. I was your age once. Men feel the same way.” The old man suddenly burst into laughter, breaking the previous soft tone of the conversation.

Juliana could not help but laugh along with him at his misunderstanding.

“It’s discourteous to speak ill of someone behind their back!” Radi shouted. “Do you think my hearing is as poor yours old man?”

“When did you become the authority on courtesy?” the grandfather snapped back. “And our conversation does not involve you child!”

“I warned you about referring to me like that! Do not mock me old man!”

Juliana took advantage of the distraction and returned to the inside of the wagon. She sat down across from Radi and picked up her textbook while her brother and grandfather continued to yell at each other back and forth. Juliana did her best to ignore them as she quietly read to herself. Eventually, the two men ended their quarrel and the group became silent.

Juliana could not concentrate on her textbook for longer than a few minutes at a time. Her thoughts were fixated on the young man sitting to her left. Every so often she would glance over towards him.

How can he keep to himself for all these hours?

Each time Juliana turned his way she quickly focused her eyes back on her text, afraid that the boy might notice her looking at him. As the girl stared at her book, she could not stop thinking about the night before . . .

Hannah wrote a review...

Hey, Dude McGuy! Have we run into one another before? In any case, I'm here now with the intention to read through all the chapters you have up so far and get the ones in the Green Room OUTTA THERE! :)

I read this first part a while ago on my phone, so this first part will be just general impressions that I remember from reading through.

I liked that you took the time to introduce your characters to us in normal situations. By setting up this rather mundane traveling scene, you gave us the base to work from, so that when crazy things happen to the characters, we'll be able to feel back for the history we were introduced to.

But I think the biggest problem with this chapter that you might have to work on as you revise and continue pursuing this project is making your dialogue sound realistic as well as appropriate for the time period you're trying to convey.

I understand this is not modern time, and so the characters aren't going to speak exactly like the people you hear around you every day. BUT, there were way too many moments of awkward phrasing in this piece where I thought to myself "no one would ever say that in a million years", and though it may be hard to get right at first, with practice you'll definitely learn a skill you can keep for the rest of your writing career!

Let's look at one example:

What I notice here is that I think you're mixing some of your everyday syntax with older style syntax. For example, I'm not QUITE sure, but I don't think the sentence pattern of "I'm sorry, what?" feels old-timey. It sounds modern in my ear. But then we get to the next sentence where a kid's using the ten-cent word "impaired" instead of something more common like "ruined" or modern like "messed with".

I think also part of the problem is that, generally, the more fancy-sounding works have more specific ways they can be used, so "impaired" is generally used in an active sense, but "age" is a very passive thing. Like, constant loud concerts (active) can impair your hearing. I dunno -- it's something you come to feel after reading that word over and over in different texts, so keep reading and paying attention to word usage in your free time and that'll help, too!

I hope some of these thoughts were helpful to you, as I know you've already come back to revise this chapter at least once before.

PM me or reply to this review if you have any comments or questions~

On to the next!

cgirl1118 wrote a review...

I don't have much to correct. It was just so amazing. What I want to ask is are they like magicians or something? I couldn't quite catch what they were exactly. Otherwise the storyline is pretty good and I can't wait to see how her relationship to the young man is going to be. And when I read it I was able to tell that Juliana's brother's impatience is going to affect the plot somehow. The writing was excellent and organized beautifully. Can't wait to read more of this! :)

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:33 am
psudiname wrote a review...

I don't have much constructive criticism because I thought this was really pretty good, so I'll just go ahead and tell you what I liked about it so you know what to continue doing. to begin with, the character development was nice, because for the side characters you used age old archetypes, i.e. the wise old man, the impatient young warrior etc., but for your MC you showed her through multiple lenses. showing the reader that she has both a strong dignified side, but is also kind of shy when it comes to people makes her seem more three dimensional. I hope to see the different sides of the other characters later on, but for now it's good that the MC is more developed than them.

I also liked your exposition of the world you've created. many fantasy stories can get overwhelming with all of the new information the reader is asked to accept, but you delivered this information rather smoothly. the introduction of magic, for instance, was well done, as you first mentioned that your MC was studying something, and then later on she mentions in passing that what she's studying is magic. instead of having a wizard pop out of the forest and start shooting lightning bolts, which would overwhelm the reader with information, you exposed it gently.

I enjoyed reading this, and I think I'll get to your next chapter soon too, because I am interested to see how the romance aspect of this plays out. happy writing!
your friend,
---Psudiname

DragonGirl11 wrote a review...

Hello, Dude! Here I am, as requested, if plenty late. Sorry about that. First of all, let me say that I really like this story, and I look forward to reading more of it! You mentioned dragons right off the bat, which pulled me in, although that's only me! I didn't notice anything wrong with your seplling or punctuation, so I'll move on to some of the more general comments I have.

You set the tone very well. The names, the description, the dialogue, it all creates a world that I can really get into and appreciate. I especially like your dialogue! It makes the relationships between characters is very real, but at the same time it remains true to the time period.

The other big thing I noticed was the suspense you've got created here, the curiousity about this world and the people in it that has me hooked. "Some of the villagers say that those who leave for the capital never return." This line jumped out to me, saying that maybe the capital is a dark, scary place. Then the grandfather said that both he and Juliana's father had returned... Oh. It's not so bad after all. But there was still this little thing in the back of my mind that keeps me wondering why the villagers would say that. The other traveller, as well, is shrouded in mystery. Perhaps too much mystery?

This brings me to another point: description. I would like to see a bit more of it. Right now, I know very little about the place, and even less about the people (outside of how they act). Tell me more about what they're wearing, their hair, their eyes, their shape and posture. Use the five senses!

All in all, excellent! I can't wait to read more. Write on, and God bless.
~DragonGirl11

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:14 am
Rubric wrote a review...

Howdy again. Interspersed with my nitpicking, I have a bit of a discussion on your worldbuilding. I’ll be very interested to see how you handle clerical magic in particular. If you want to discuss that aspect in particular, or anything else in general, feel free to reach me by PM or in response on my Writer’s Corner thread (which you accurately noted could do with more attention). Here we go.

“horse’s hooves”
You later mention that there are two horses, which would make it “horses’ hooves”

“moving only to occasionally”
I’d have gone with “moving only occasionally to”, but it amounts to nearly the same thing.

“two horse wagon advanced”
To me “advanced” can carry the connotations of a kind of military manoeuvre, or carefully considered movement, such as a duel, whereas this is simply a matter of moving forward

“woods’ natural canopy of oak trees”
Its only one wood, so it would be “wood’s”. Also, the oak trees aren’t so much the canopy as they provide it: it is one aspect of their beings, rather than the sum of their parts. Thus you use “provided by” instead of "of" if you chose to reflect that.

“Why do you assume so”
If he assumed, he wouldn’t have asked, he would have stated it as a fact. Eg: “Something is troubling you.” There could be a nuance to their relationship, in that asking such a question is his way of asserting a fact, but that doesn’t leap out at the reader. You can leave this in, as it’s a character’s error rather than the narrator’s, but it could do with some minor redress.

“I would be up here for you.”
“Here” was a little confusing. Does it refer to him being on a raised driver’s seat (which could have been made clearer earlier in the piece) or does it refer to their geographical location, where a northern destination might be referred to as “up”. It isn’t clear.

“who leave for the capital never return!”
I enjoyed this line. It combines characterisation and exposition well, without interrupting the narrative in a clumsy way. Kudos.

“I . . . I want to see mother”
Something I’ve been doing recently is breaking up this kind of ellipses with a description of why it’s occurring. For example “she stammered” “she sobbed”, or in other scenes: spluttered, stuttered, stumbled or was startled by some occurrence. It’s no hugely necessary here, but it can be an option in other situations where you’re dealing with blocks of direct speech or have multiple speakers that are in need of narrative identification.

“Did your father not return when you were younger?”
This goes back to my earlier comment: rhetorical questions actually fit well with a grandfather figure: trying to smarten up the kids by making them think and aknowledge truths rather than hit them over the head with facts. Beware the “as you know” narrative trope though, it kills the narrative.

“calmed by his comforting words”
“comforted by his words” would probably be fine if you were looking to save space, you don’t need to tell your reader the nature of the words they’ve just read: just show them how they affect the granddaughter.

“the cleric school”
This set off alarm bells immediately. It tells me that there’s a school just for clerics to learn (presumably magic) that may not be part of a broader institutional religious education at all. This is one of the perils of world building: you need to examine why you’re using familiar tropes (in this case: clerics using magic), and how that reflects on other aspects of your world. Are all clerics members of the main religion? If not, why are they called clerics? If so, do all clerics use magic?

“You could wait if you wished”
Maybe this reflects on my own writing a bit: in which magic is feared by your average joe and fiercely controlled (through mandatory training or extermination) by those in power. That she has this discretion was an intriguing surprise and I look forward to seeing what comes from it.

“I was not myself then”
When? The brother doesn’t know that she’s been thinking about her earlier hesitancy does he?

“physically unchallenging journey”
There are easier ways to say this.

“Panelsca region of Marceris was comprised mostly of plains, small woodlands, and a few lakes. There were no rivers to ford or mountains to cross.”
Solid exposition and world-building though you could probably throw a little more detail in if you chose. Doesn't have to be in blocks, just throw descriptive asides in here and there.

“A single dirt road would lead the four of them across the open country until they reached the capital.”
Interesting. I might have expected it to eventually hit a King’s Highway or something. This is the capital they’re headed to after all. I know it’d be a narrative strain to have to journey through other population centres to reach the capital, but it depends how much distance they’re covering. It’s unlikely a small dirt path would travel to the capital without passing through other towns or villages. if it’s a significant distance.

“wooden weapon”
This seems like an odd way to describe a spear to me as it implies the tip is wooden rather than metal, but doesn’t really expand on that idea.

“You won’t be so nervous once you acquire some experience.”
I chuckled a bit at this. It’s good that you’re paying attention to this social dynamic. Many writers don’t bother to consider that they live in relatively liberal times and locations as far as these kinds of social interaction are concerned.

“Do you think my hearing is as poor yours old man?”
Poor “as” yours. Also had me chuckling. I hope you give him some redemptive moments.

“picked up her textbook”
Had me thinking about technology. Does this society have a printing press or equivalent? If not, books are going to be quite rare, how does she have one, or more? Even if they do, I think “textbook” is a bit anachronistic.

“and the group became silent.”
I’d replace “group” with “wagon”, as it’s only half the group that were having the argument, but the sound filled the whole wagon, if that makes sense.

I see there have already been some more general reviews, and I don’t see the need to repeat their sentiments. Hope this was helpful!

Blues wrote a review...

Hey Dude! Thanks for requesting :)

First impression: xDDD
I love the Grandfather and Radi's relationship. It's not a very good one, but it's almost hilarious and definitely interesting. Radi is, I'm assuming, somewhere in his teens just before he's an adult. He thinks he's cool and big and the grandfather's feelings tend to be exactly how I feel towards the younger kids in school who think that they're cool because they're in secondary school.

I really like this chapter and there's only 1 thing which I think could be improved, really.

We're in a foreign land and we don't know what its like. Are the plains yellow or a lush green? Are the woodlands dense or widely space; the trees, are they young or old? A few little details like these inform us of how the area looks like.

How about the traveller? He seems somewhat significant. Is he scrawny? Is his hair matted or lush? Is he young or ancient? How about the way he sits - I know you mentioned his position, but I'm specifically thinking of his back. Is he sitting straight or slouching or is he sitting so that his belly is sticking out? Of course, don't go overboard, but tiny details like these here and there are great.

Otherwise, that's it - the others have already mentioned some important points :) I'm off to the next chapter, so keep writing!

~Blues

Shady wrote a review...

Hey Dude!

As you no doubt know by now I, unlike Shearwater, do tend to be nit picky, though you made it really hard with this piece. Great job! :D

Though I have a complaint that comes in here: "“No grandpa. Why do you assume so?”"~ I don't know about this. 'Why do you assume so?' doesn't really seem like a natural way to talk...

That's actually the only thing I can find wrong with this piece. It's really great Dude! You did a great job being descriptive with your story! I was able to picture everything in my head, which I had a bit of trouble doing with your first edition.

I also liked how you were able to integrate the stranger into your piece; and make him seem more docile than he seemed before. I, at least, pictured him a bit hostile before, and wondered why Juliana cared about him at all; but now he only seems shy.

I really, really enjoyed this!

~Shadow

Shearwater wrote a review...

Hey, McGuy!

I’ve been meaning to do a review for you for a while now since you did one for me, so I was happy to see your request! My reviews don’t tend to be very picky and I like to concentrate on the general side of works so I won’t be digging into this line-by-line, bear with me. ;) Though, I do have one nitpick that I’d like to start off with…

The second part of Juliana’s thoughts should be in present tense. “What can he be thinking about? And why is he so sad?”
I’m pretty sure that if she thought he ‘was sad’ meant he was at that time happy, and sad before. I think you know what I mean and will skip the in depth explanation of narrative/grammatical tenses.

Alright, to begin with, I did like this first part of chapter one. You accomplished some major things such as provide a setting, a goal for the characters and a reason, characterized your protagonist(s), and you did it all while keeping things interesting and not giving away too much information. Good job!

A few things that I do want to mention are first, that the introduction was a bit slow and not very interesting. I tend to give a lot of effort into my introductions because they’re the first thing that readers read and I think they should be able to catch their attention by the end of the first paragraph. Granted, doing this isn’t easy at all, especially when you’re starting off slowly in a setting similar to yours. Try to think of something more interesting about reading a story rather than the turning pages part you have here. I would actually suggest starting with that quote from the book and easing into the conflict with Radi and her grandfather later…or something like that. I'm not sure, my creative juices have dried up but you can play around with it.

In addition, I think there are some parts to this where I find you being more ‘telly’ rather than showing us what’s going on. I think this usually applies to the emotion part. You tell us Julie’s concerned, scared and sad but I think you could use more description when dealing with emotions. I felt like Julie was a bit fast, jumping from sadness to determination.

I did, however, really enjoy how you made the brother and sister bond even though they argued and had polar personalities. The scene with the water pails was, I think, brilliant and really showed how close they were despite their differences. Another thing I did like was your dialogue. It was quite clean and you kept your base necessities. ^.^)b

Overall, I did enjoy this first part and will be getting to the second part soon. I was going to mention something about telling us how they picked up the mysterious hitchhiker but I have a feeling I’ll find out in the next part so I’ll wait on that.

Hope this helps some,
-Pink

NO U
— Carina