z

Young Writers Society



Hope in the ashes

by dreamingthelife


The day started the same as any other, nobody could have known that by evening things would have been irreversibly changed. I was in the small, cramped kitchen of our cold little shack, brewing tea in a small tin pot over a stove of quickly dying embers. We were supposed to use it to heat our water for washing, but my grandmother was freezing to death in her chair and I thought the tea would bring some warmth back to her cold body. I noticed a faint ripple in the water in the pot. A ringing noise started in my ears, quiet at first but then so loud it hurt my ears, as everything began to shake madly. Suddenly a thunderous roar shook the whole shack and I was flung backwards into the wall. My head cracked off the corner of the doorframe and I sat there with my vision swimming until an all too familiar smell brought me to my senses. The smell of something burning. I got up quickly but shakily and rushed inside to see if my grandmother and my little brother were ok. They were unharmed but terrified, huddled close to each other. I turned and ran out the door before my grandmother could call me back. I had to confirm what I already knew. The textile factory where my mother worked, had another "accidental explosion". I stumbled blindly through the black cloud of smoke and ash, coughing and spluttering until I reached the other side. On a clear day you can see the factory from the crest of the hill our tiny dwellings were built on. But today the sound hit me before the sight brought me to my knees. The sounds of the workers still trapped inside the burning factory. A complete wave of helplessness overwhelmed me as I realised my mother might not have been one of the lucky few to escape. Things seemed to slow down as the numbness of the realisation set in. I could hear someone screaming for me to run, but it sounded as of they were miles away from the world of shock I was lost in. I scrambled desperately towards the smouldering wreckage hoping to find an entrance somewhere to look for my mother. I came to the cargo bay and was getting close the entrance when a shudder knocked me off my feet. A roof beam had collapsed , blocking my way. I scrambled backwards in fear, knowing well what would have happened if I was a few seconds quicker to arrive. This time when a pair of strong hands scooped me up and pulled me away. I didn't resist. I didn't kick, or bite or scream or cry. I just became motionless and let the numbness consume me.

ONE WEEK LATER

I waited patiently in line to collect the small copper medal they were giving to the families of the workers who had been killed in the explosion. It was supposed to "honour the dead", as if the bastards knew anything about honour. They were the reason my mother and so many others had to work in those hellish factories, to feed their starving families with the meagre wage they were paid. It disgusted me to accept there "award" but I couldn't show them how I felt. It would only make it worse for my brother and my grandmother. When we returned home, I waited till I was alone, and for the first time, I let myself grieve for my mother. And I let myself wonder about the answers to the questions I had been avoiding like, how would I provide for this family now that my mother and father had both been lost in seperate explosions. All I had left of them was my mothers silver ring and my fathers worn leather jacke. I wrapped the jacket around my shoulders and let the memories and the familiar scents come back to me. Days of being in the meadow, foraging for the plants and herbs that kept my family Alive. But then I thought, if he could do it maybe I could too, maybe there not just memories but hopeful instructions. I rose from my chair with the jacket still on me, and headed out the door to the meadow.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 368
Reviews: 43

Donate
Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:16 pm
DragonGirl11 wrote a review...



Hey there Dreamingthelife! Here I am, as requested - although it seems like DudeMcGuy has done my work for me XD For spelling and grammar, I would have mentioned most of the same things he did, except for maybe one or two. If you go through and fix the places he mentioned, it'd be great. I'll just point out a few really big things you should definitely try to fix, and mention a few non-grammar things I noticed.

First of all, paragraphs. They break the story down into small, managable chunks. It is much harder to read a story all in one big block.

Next, I know you tried to leave the character ambiguous, but in my personal opinion, although I'm sure not eeryone would agree with me here, I like it when there's something there to make a character, even if it's just a name or a gender. It would be easy enough to put just a moment in there, maybe between him and his grandmother or brother, where they use his name.

The transition you have there, "One week later", this could be added in with the first sentence of the next paragraph. Big declarations like that are more for movies and comic books. In stories, the passing of time is usually more subtle, although you could still put a gap there or something else to mark that it's a different part in the story.

You haven't got a lot of description in the story, and you could certainly add more if you like, but I think the small amount you have here does well in its own subtle way. I have to echo DudeMcGuy in enjoying the line, "It was supposed to "honour the dead", as if the bastards knew anything about honour." Not only does it say something about the authority in the place, it says something about the character that's saying it. We don't know a lot about the character, so this small window is good for a reader.

As for plot, I haven't got much to say. There's not a lot of plot you can fit into such a short story, and this is about as much as you can expect. You show just a small part of the character's life, a specific part where he/she does a whole lot of growing up in a shoort period of time.

Overall, it's a pretty decent story. You certainly have a talent for storytelling, and I would love to see you develop it. Write on, and God bless!




User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 3541
Reviews: 43

Donate
Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:45 pm
DudeMcGuy wrote a review...



Hi dreamingthelife! I'm no expert, so take this review with a grain of salt.

I was very impressed with the level of detail and description. A few of my favorite parts: "I was in the small, cramped kitchen of our cold little shack, brewing tea in a small tin pot over a stove of quickly dying embers." (Great detail and description)
And:"It was supposed to "honour the dead", as if the bastards knew anything about honour."
(I love how I can feel the emotion of the character in this line)
And: "I just became motionless and let the numbness consume me."
(Very good! I like this line very much!)
Also, I didn't even know that "Spluttering" was a word. (thought it was a typo at first) Thank you for expanding my vocabulary!

Your piece is well written overall, but I noticed a few minor things.
First of all, you should separate the writing into distinguishable paragraphs. Make it easier for the reader and control the flow of the story.

"A complete wave of helplessness overwhelmed me as I realised my mother might not have been one of the lucky few to escape. Things seemed to slow down as the numbness of the realisation set in."
"Realised" and "realisation" are misspelled here. Also, I would replace "Things" with "Time" (even more descriptive).

"I could hear someone screaming for me to run, but it sounded as of they were miles away from the world of shock I was lost in."
This sentence is almost perfect (great detail), I would probably replace "for" with "at" though. I think it reads better that way. And "of" is a typo for "if".

"I came to the cargo bay and was getting close the entrance when a shudder knocked me off my feet."
You need another "to" between "close" and "the" here.

"A roof beam had collapsed , blocking my way."
You don't need "had" here because the event just happened. "Had" should be used sparingly to specify a sequence of time or past events. You could try " A roof beam collapsed and blocked my way." Or something similar.

"This time when a pair of strong hands scooped me up and pulled me away. I didn't resist."
The first sentence is a fragment because it can't stand on it's own without "I didn't resist". I would put "I didn't resist" in place of "This time". Combine the two sentences into one.

"It would only make it worse for my brother and my grandmother."
As a general rule that I follow, don't use the word "it" more than once in a sentence. Things can get jumbled up that way. I would actually suggest removing both of the "it" in that line.
"My anger would only make matters worse for my brother and my grandmother." Sounds better right? I try to replace "It" with what "it" is referring to (Not always, only when appropriate).

"All I had left of them was my mothers silver ring and my fathers worn leather jacke. I wrapped the jacket around my shoulders and let the memories and the familiar scents come back to me."

Misspelled "jacket" at the end of the first sentence here.
Also, as a personal preference type of thing, try to not use the same noun twice in back to back sentences if possible ("Jacket" in this case.) You could call it a cloak or a coat the second time. Just use Thesaurus.com and type in Jacket and see what you like!
One more thing on this part, (Sorry I'm such a grammar/spell-check Nazi, just trying to help) you need an apostrophe on "mothers" and "fathers". Should be "mother's silver ring". The apostrophe is needed to imply the previous ownership. (I'm sure you knew that, just a simple mistake)

"Days of being in the meadow, foraging for the plants and herbs that kept my family Alive."

No need to capitalize "alive" at the end.

"But then I thought, if he could do it maybe I could too, maybe there not just memories but hopeful instructions."

This sentence is too long I think. (Too many commas) And "there" should be "they're" as in "they are."

Sorry if I'm too picky! But the good news is that your few errors are easily correctable. I make the same mistakes all the time actually.

I really enjoyed this piece and wish you success in the future. And I respect your ability to write in first person (something I struggle with greatly).




User avatar


Points: 499
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:19 pm
View Likes
DreamsAreReal says...



Wow. That was really descriptive. It kind of reminds me of the Hunger Games. :)
It's well written, maybe just develope your characters more. :) I loved it! I could feel the tension. Are you going to write more ?
It really impressed me, keep at it, your truly a gifted writer.
Lots of love Dreams <3






Awh thank you so much :) <3 yea it was inspired by the hunger games :) I was thinking of district 8 when I wrote it. I wanted to keep it as a once off so I left the characters undeveloped so the reader could make there own, didnt even give them a gender :-) I'm going to write more but about different things :D thanks so much for the comment!!





A story from each district would be cool ? Well I think you should keep writing, even if its not this. :) <3 ..





yea i dont wanna spoil antything for people who havent read the books but it was based from the point of view of someone who witnessed an event in 8 in catching fire :) and yea it would! i might actually do it, but it would be an extra rather than a main focus because i want to write something original :) thanks so much and the same to you <3





You should let me know when you write it. I would love to read it! Can't wait now. :) <3




I regret everything.
— Ron Swanson