z

Young Writers Society



Demons are Bad

by MiaParamore


I am posting the edited version, but the end is the same. I can't really think of anything nice so I'd let my reviewers help me. Thanks a lot in advance.

There are some mistakes grammatically on purpose. I think that even though I've tried to make this simple and make it read like a 6 year old's thing, I have failed. So, please be free to rip it into shreds.

Demons Are Bad!

I know God will scare away the demon who has entered into my Daddy’s body. That awful green slimy thing would scamper away when God will yell at him for making Claire’s, that’s me, daddy behave so badly.

I say prayers to myself as the creepy dark shadows play over the walls. I see my mother’s dark shadow flying, her bouncing back as a taller shadow springs at her. For someone else, it might look like a dance show, but I know the truth. That is my daddy and mommy fighting.

My daddy is pretty bad now. It’s not my daddy, I know. It’s just the demon. But he looks like my daddy. I don’t know why he comes only to my house every night. Can’t he find some other girl or boy to scare?

Mommy shouts, I think she’s scared too. Daddy, demon that is, screams and it looks like a lion voice. I watch tee-vee with mommy every day and light brown lions roar like this.

I sob, which makes me hiccup. Diana is not supposed to see this fight-she’s too small for that. I close my doll’s eyes so she doesn’t have to feel the pain. Mommy’s supposed to protect their kids, my mommy said and as I am Diana’s mommy I have to protect her.

A glass breaks and I step back in fear. The shadows have gone away but I still hear voices. The room is burning dark, and the outlines of the furniture are the only things I see. I am scared, but I can’t let Diana know. She’s too small for that, you see. She can’t let her mommy be worrying.

I put in my pinky finger inside my mouth and start sucking it and that makes me feel better. I ask the tears to go back to their home but they don’t. They are just zooming out of my eyes like my friend Kevin’s cars do on race tracks. Oh, I miss Kevin. I wish he were home. Then I could have run to his house like Saturday nights. That is when Daddy’s really bad. I would have to play GI Joes with Kevin, but it would have been better than this. But he had to be at that stupid Clinton’s birthday ‘bash’ wearing that ugly Spiderman costume while Demon troubled me and mommy.

Demon isn’t going away. God, help me. I pull out the pinky and join my hands with Diana leaning close to my chest.

I would tell Demon’s mother. He comes to my house every night and troubles me and my mommy. He gets into my daddy’s body and makes him go somewhere else. My daddy must also be so scared, I think. This demon is meaner than Cyrus who pulls my pig tails in school.

I move ahead. Claire is big, she’s Diana’s mommy. She has to do something to save her mommy. But after walking two steps, I remember something and turn around.

~*~

With Diana sleeping tight in her cot, I come back to the hall. I have not switched off the lights in my room since I know Diana’s afraid of dark. Her mommy still is.

Everything is silent-pin drop silent. Missus Kruger in school told us what pin drop silence means. It means that when she drops a pin, only the sound of that pin should be heard.

I take a left and reach the big hall. The small lamp at the corner has been turned on. I see daddy’s big heavy body. His back is facing me. My mom is crouched near the sofa, her face full of fear.

It’s not the first time I have to see her like this, but every time it hurts in my chest. I can’t stop feeling bad every time it happens.

The room smells like someone had to pee and couldn’t stop so they did it here. I cover my nose with my hands.

“Tiffany, I told you not to buy that make up kit. I’m not heere to just make money while you, you spend it. Dontcha spend it like that,” the demons speaks. Mommy nods like a kid.

I sob and my daddy turns. His face is scary, too scary. I would rather see Goosebumps with Kevin than face my dad. He smiles at me, but I know it’s the demon. He makes him do all the bad things.

He has a long bottle in his hand, and he puts it to his lips and drinks. I wanna ask him if he would let me have a sip, but I know the demon would answer. The demon would bite my head off.

“Claire, darling. Come…come,” he says. His voice is shaky-like when the radio loses its signal and the man inside it speaks. His eyes are like golf balls-roundy.

“No, David. Leave her,” my mother shouts. My eyes travel towards her and I watch her trying to get up. But she falls down, and moans in pain. I go towards her, but my daddy pushes me away. My daddy…pushes me away. I’m too shocked. I fall down, and hurt my knee. I start crying loudly and my nose starts running.

“Claire!” My mom cries. I don’t try seeing her this time.

I have my eyes on his face. He looks happy. He looks happy? How can he? After throwing his Claire…on the floor? How? This is not my daddy’s body. It is demon-both from inside and outside.

“You both…both of you are getting on my nerves. Bloody women!”

He walks funny, and every time he moves a step I think he would fall down. I watch him and I don’t even know when but I see my mother coming for me and she tries to push demon away so she could reach me, but the demon comes to know and kicks her. She is thrown at the wall, and I see blood coming from her forehead.

My heart stops for a second and when it starts working, I cry. The blood smells so bad, almost more bad than the pee smell.

“Mommy!” I shout. My breaths are slow and I can’t stop hiccupping. My nose runs like tap water, and I clean it with the sleeve of my night gown.

Demon reaches for her hair and shakes her. Then he punches her on the face. I no longer feel scared but angry. Something inside me burns and I feel like kicking something. I want to tear something, break something.

Mommy’s crying while the Demon shakes her head. More than once, he is about to fall on her but he doesn’t. Mommy tries to push away her face, but Demon is too strong.

The Demon has gone too far now. He should have known who he was messing with. He can not hit Claire’s mommy. I reach for the pink vase-the one mommy loves the most. Demon is sitting down with Mommy, talking stupid things into her ears and I notice how my mother’s shaking. She doesn’t speak.

I stand up and go to the Demon. He doesn’t come to know I’m there ‘cause he’s busy speaking. I lift the vase in the air and throw it on his head. He screams in pain, but I don’t feel sorry. I don’t feel anything. I do it again, and then again. I kick him like he kicked my mother.

“Bad demon. You’re a bad boy,” I say.

My mother tries to get hold of my hand but I am too strong. I have turned into Buttercup from Power puff Girls. I hit him again and this time the vase breaks into hundreds of tiny pieces. I know mommy will complain later and won’t be pleased about cleaning the room, but I’ll make her a ‘Sorry’ card.

I throw the big piece left of the vase on the ground and step back as the heavy body of the demon falls on the floor. When he falls, there’s heavy voice, just like his body. There’s blood of the colour same as the ladybugs Missus Kruger showed us in the playground. I should have cried looking at it, but it makes me happy.

I take my mother’s hand and she gets up. I see how she is not able to walk properly, and I look into her blue eyes. I smile, but she doesn’t.

But I know I did what I should have.

I got us rid of the Demon before he could send my Mommy away like he sent Daddy.

~*~

Mommy won’t speak. She just drives. The sky is dark like mommy’s hair. She is smoking, and I cough. She looks at me and throws away the cigarette.

I have snuggled Diana close to me with her blanket on. She is sleeping. Mommy says soon I could sleep, too.

Mommy has put white cloth over her cut. She looks pretty now. Like always. She’s wearing her favourite pink coat, the one she promised she would let me have when I grow up but if I do my homework. As I never skip doing homework and I am growing so fast I will soon get it.

We stop somewhere. I don’t know where. It’s all too dark. Mommy gets out of the car and comes to my side. She opens the gate and asks me to step out. I do so. She holds my hand tightly and we enter a gate. We keep on walking until I see a small light in a window. Mommy and I climb two stairs and she rings the bell.

Two minutes later, a thin dark figure comes out. It switches on the light and I see Aunt Melissa. I clap with joy. She looks worried. But she should be proud of her little Claire. She leads me and mommy inside. I turn back and see how scared Aunt Melissa is from the way she closes the door. Like the door might eat her. Demon could have, but I killed him.

After I had killed the demon, mommy had held his wrist. She had brought it closer to her ears. It was funny but I didn’t disturb her. After a while, she dropped it down and stared in the space. She had been like that for million minutes.

“Oh, Claire. What did you do?” She pulled her hair and sobbed. She was chewing her nails so hard I think they might have broken. She always tells me not to bite my nails but she does the same.

She didn’t scream and asked me to pack my toys in my school bag-but only the important ones. Then she had followed me to my room and packed a suitcase with my clothes. After that, we went into the car with the things we had packed.

~*~

Oreos are God’s gifts and you get them only when you do something as brave as me. I love the milky white thingy inside it. I eat lots of Oreos as I watch Scooby Doo on the television. It’s late, I should be sleeping. But mommy didn’t ask me to. Maybe it’s my reward for killing the demon.

I lick the white cream of the Oreos. The whispers of mommy and Aunt Melissa reach my ears but I pretend I can’t listen. Uncle Joe has joined them and they all talk so weirdly. I hear mommy cry more than once and sometimes she speaks like a toddler. She swallows most of the words. She should try eating Oreos if she’s so hungry.

“Mel, I can’t tell cops the truth,” mommy whispers.

“I know, sweetie. But what will you do then?” Aunt Melissa speaks softly. “You’ve got to handle this.”

“Mel’s right, Tiffany. Someone would become suspicious ‘bout David and might reach your house looking for him. Then? Then what?” Uncle Joe speaks.

“I’ll leave with Claire. I’ll fly to Canada, Spain or anywhere. I’ll go somewhere.”

“What ‘bout visa? The process would take some time. Everyone will know ‘bout his death before that.”

My mother shouts. “So I send her to juvenile detention?” She speaks bitterly just like the demon used to. I hug my knees and sit lower on the couch.

“No, we’ll handle this. She’ll have to attend few sessions with a counselor and she’ll be out. It’s not like they can convict her of something she doesn’t know was wrong. ” Uncle Joe tries to convince mommy but she doesn’t listen.

“I can’t,” she says.

“Similar case happened in Nevada and the little boy was let out. He just had to answer some questions until the cops were satisfied. Plus, the State put him with a counselor so he could forget the bad memory,” Aunt Melissa explains. She is good at explaining things like Missus Kruger.

“Do you understand how hard it would have been for the kid to answer? You want me to put her through this pain? Isn’t it bad enough that her D-A-D-D-Y is D-E-A-D that she has to go through this?” she stops mid way.

“Her D-A-D-D-Y deserved to die. You don’t need to feel guilty ‘bout it. And neither does she,” Uncle Joe says.

They all speak so fast and there are three of them, that it’s very confusing.

“Telling cops the truth is the only way out. Sooner the better. Let there be no doubt from their side.” This was Aunt Melissa.

“I can’t let that happen. I can’t let her go through the torture. Plus, I’m not comfortable in letting a counselor come anywhere near Claire. She’s my kid and I know what to do.” Mommy this time.

I hear them talk without me. I don’t understand who they are talking about. Who was she? Why did cops need to know the truth? I know who cops are, Brianna’s father is one and he came on the Daddy Daughter Day.

“The truth is what you should tell,” Aunt Melissa spoke through her teeth.

“I’ll tell the cops alright. But not the truth,” Mommy says. Nobody speaks for so many minutes and I turn my head back to the tee-vee. The Scooby Doo is chasing a white ghost and Velma is after him.

Once they enter, though, I look at them. Aunt Melissa and Uncle Joey stand around the dining table as they watch me. Aunt Mel’s eyes are watery and she closes her eyes. Maybe she’s praying.

Mommy comes to me and hugs me tight. I can’t breathe but I don’t tell her that. That’s because it feels warm and nice to let her do that. I lean against her. She starts crying and I ask her not to since the Demon has died. To this, she starts sobbing even more. I ignore it this time and instead smell the sweet perfume she is wearing. Along with the sweet smell of her perfume I can smell that bad drink. I pull away.

“Mommy, when would daddy come?” I ask with a smile.

“Honey…” she trails off.

“Lemme call him and tell how I fought the Demon. I’ll ask him to bring me the new Barbie, the one that skates.”

“You can’t, honey,” she answers softly. I feel bad. She’s never ever said that. I can always talk to him. He loves talking to his Claire.

“But why? I sent the demon away. He can come home now.” I am almost crying. I hit my mommy as I try to protest.

“You just can’t. Now, listen. Mommy has to go but you stay with Aunt Mel and Uncle Joey. Don’t create problems for them and listen to what they say. And, don’t eat Oreos every day.”

She stands up and I reach for her hand. I hold it tight and don’t let her go. “Now you’re going too? Why? I killed the Demon.”

“Please, Claire. Leave me, honey,” she says but she’s not looking at me.

I hold her hand tighter but my hand starts slipping and she walks away. I cry and this time it hurts my lungs and ribs. I run for her, but I trip and fall down. My head starts paining and everything in front of my eyes goes black. I blink and I can see everything again. I look up to find Aunt Melissa coming for me, while mommy is crying and walking out.

“Mommy! Please, don’t.” This time my heart pains and I can’t cry. I want to cry but I can’t. Instead, I hit Aunt Mel who doesn’t go away. Instead, she helps me in standing up and once I can, she wraps her arms around me.

I can’t cry even now, but I bury my head on her shoulders. She doesn’t smell like mommy but she still smells good. Her perfume is not very strong but it reminds me of the lilac flowers we have in our garden. I hold on to the sleeve of her sweater tightly and that’s when everything inside me starts feeling light. I try crying and this time it works. Aunt pats my head and I cry, cry for mommy, cry for daddy, a little bit for Kevin and even before I realize, I doze off to sleep.

~*~

When I wake up, it’s all bright. The curtains have been pulled up and Mr. Sun is shining brightly. I don’t remember where I am or why I am here until Aunt Melissa walks in. She has changed to a pink sweater and I wonder if it would smell like the lilac flower.

“Rise and shine, honey!” she chirps.

She comes and pulls my blanket. I smile tiredly, and start playing with my pig tails as she folds the blanket.

“I’ve baked you cinnamon cake, sweets. Wanna go and have it?”

I nod. I get out of the bed and run for the dining hall. When I reach the television room, the things about yesterday come back to me. Mommy isn’t here. No wonder I couldn’t sleep properly. It aches to think about her and I cry. Where is she? Even with my Aunt and Uncle here, it felt empty. It feels bad. I want her. I want to hug her and whisper stupid jokes Kevin told me. I wanted to see her face sparkle with her smile. I want to go out with Mommy and Daddy to the movies and watch Nemo.

I feel a hand over my shoulders and I turn. Aunt Mel smiles at me, but I turn back. I am angry at her for letting Mommy go. She should have stopped her. Why didn’t she?

She bends down and strokes my hair. “She’ll come back, honey. Just eat something till then.”

“No.” I cross my hands in front of my chest and tap my feet.

“Please?” she begs. Her eyes turn watery like the last night and I feel bad for being angry with her.

“Okay,” I say.

~*~

The television is speaking as I eat the cake and drink chocolate shake. Aunt Mel is sitting besides me and Uncle Jo is reading newspaper. It’s just like my Saturday morning but Aunt Mel’s not mommy and Uncle Jo’s not daddy.

I take a bite of the cake when a stupid lady in red comes on the screen and starts speaking. She looks so tired and bored.

“In Chicago, a lady has been arrested for murdering her husband. The husband, David Sparks is the son of the influential Senator Henry Sparks…”

It’s my daddy and grand pa’s name. I am shocked. I never heard daddy’s name on the tee-vee before even though grand pa comes on it a lot.

Seconds later, they show the image of my mommy. She is wearing the same clothes from the night and the white cloth on her forehead is shining red at some places. She is more tired than the stupid lady reporter and her face is red as strawberries. She doesn’t look in the tee-vee and has her head down.

The screen goes black. I stare at it as I try to understand what had just happened now. Why was my mommy on the TV and not with me? And what was the stupid lady saying? But more importantly, when would mommy be back?

I don’t say anything but keep on thinking. My brain hurts from so much thinking and my eyes hurt from so much crying. It isn’t fair. I should have been treated to ice-creams and chocolates for killing the demon, but instead I am being punished.

Aunt Mel kisses me lightly on the cheek. This time I see how red her eyes are. It almost scares me.

“Your mommy’s a brave one. Just like you.”

To that, I smile proudly and pray to God to send back my mommy soon.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
763 Reviews


Points: 3888
Reviews: 763

Donate
Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:22 pm
Lava says...



Hi dear!

Okay so!

First thing : Your writing has improved!
But.
Yes, but.
This story was a bit on the 'okay-ish' side for me. And as the others have mentioned, the ending is weird. So, I won't go into that.

Second thing: The child POV. I love working from a child's POV. It's so beautifully taxing. I would say continue with the first person POV but make it more believable. Try not to use too long sentences. She is... six? So show us the world through her eyes. You've done a great job of it, but you seem to falter here and there, because you want your writing to look nicer. Try not to bring in that conflict.
Like this:
"I looked up to see papa's eyes. It was red. And huge. He's scary when he comes home like this."
"Dad's eyes are red. Drinking again. Why does have to come home on such night?"

See even without tags,or a generic 'she said', you can gauge the age/maturity levels. But when you use words outside their age-frame it messes things up.

So when she is 'listening' to the tv report, that entire chunk seems a little too mature for what has happened before.

light brown lions roar like this.
err... I don't think light brown works here. Kids would prbably just say lions.


My mother tries to get hold of my hand but I am too strong. I have turned into Buttercup from Power puff Girls. I hit him again and this time the vase breaks into hundreds of tiny pieces. I know mommy will complain later and won’t be pleased about cleaning the room, but I’ll make her a ‘Sorry’ card.

The whole throwing a vase/child just seemed to be coming right from the start. I would've loved a different twist. Instead of her being brave like this, how about something else? Try to work out something different. (Off the top of my head, say she's crying and running out, bumps into neighbor...etc.)

When she is told her father may not come back, try to put in more emotion. That would make things more beliveable.

As to the end, I'd repat what Jas said. Think of plausibles. Counselling, etc.

Characters:

I get the dad well. You portrayed him well through Claire's eyes. Good job!
But when it comes to the mother, like Pinky said, something doesn't add up. Why not get her to actively participate? She can be a bit stronger. She needs to be more than a 2D mom who loves Claire too much.
Family tree. Work it out better. Rich gramps should dote on a grandchild etc. Or if not, show some incident from her perspective. Do it in such a way that we can form the family network better in our heads.

Overall, this was well written. Try to push your boundaries a little more.

~Lava




AzaleaLexis says...


Also, I don't mean to sound like this wasn't good. It is! But you can make it much better.

Something will work out!
<3



User avatar
816 Reviews


Points: 44887
Reviews: 816

Donate
Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:04 pm
View Likes
Shearwater wrote a review...



Hey, Mia!

It's me, your father! I'm sorry for being a little late to the party but after reading this, I really wish I was able to read and review this faster! lol. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and your story was wonderful - I mean, the plot was horrible and I felt really bad for Clair but the way you described the drunk father as a demon was very interesting.

So, you said you needed some help with some of the aspects in this short little tale so I'm here to help you with that. ^^

Firstly, I like how this is in the six year-old's perspective but because of the child POV, you're limited in your view of knowledge and understanding and as well as mentally constricted with the vocabulary part. This is why I avoid child POV, it's too limiting and it's very difficult. You seemed to pull it off quite alright though, there were some slips and some weird wordings and second guesses but it wasn't too bad. If I was the one to write this story though, I'd do it in third person, I fee like that would have more freedom to move but you wouldn't have to cut the innocence of the character out completely; you could still explain her emotions through third person. Anyway, it's all up to you in the end but I did like reading your first POV. You did great, much better than what I could've done anyway. xD

Secondly, I found that the various names and mommies and Clair referring to herself in the third person was very confusing for me. I didn't understand who was who when you introduced Diana. At first, I thought that Diana was Claire's younger sister but then she said something about Claire being her mommy and then I was like, hold on a sec, she's only six! Anyway, perhaps you can clarify the role that Diana has simply by stating who she is. I felt like that little bit was a word game and it puzzled me. ^^

Claire, as a character, I found her enjoyable to read about, strong, intelligent in that child-like manner and realistic to a certain degree that caused me to lift my chin proudly at your depiction of her. Throughout the story you tell of Claire's behaviors through a number of past experiences she had with people and/or objects and I thought that was a great way to showcase her thoughts and compare and contrast her emotions and the way this child made sense of the things she was experiencing. Good job with that, I really liked the way you went around doing that.

As for Claire's mother. There are some ungrounded peculiar things about her that don't seem to fit the puzzle quite right. Her husband and her got into an argument about her buying some make-up, which is kind of a moot point because later, you clarify that her husband is the son of the senator and surely that means this family is wealthy so the mother, for buying some make-up, no matter the expense, shouldn't be a problem to their expenses. Instead, I think the problem should be centered more on the submissive aspect of their relationship. Perhaps...cooking a meal that he didn't like would be more believable? I know a friend who's father gets extremely upset for not having 'proper' food on the table.

In addition to that scene, I recall Claire thinking about asking her father for a drink which is completely off-putting. As a child, I think she's pretty intelligent and understanding so she should know that the drink is something bad, perhaps even something that causes the demon to come out, maybe. It depends but I wasn't a fan of her thinking about drinking liquor. lol.

As for the ending, I agree with Jas that 6 year-olds cannot stand trail for murder, it's pretty impossible for anyone to convict a child for killing anyone especially under that circumstance. I can understand that the mother is doing what she thinks is right for her child but in this case, she can plead self-defense and I'm sure they can sustain enough evidence on the father's abusive behavior from the physical injuries that he caused to the both of them. Also, I know that everyone has been on your case for the news report being out the next day and the fact that because he's a senator's son, his death would've been hidden from the public until further evidences were brought about or something but honestly, I don't see the point in having this family have ties with politics, it actually just makes your story have more loose ends and makes it complicated when it doesn't need to be. I'd erase the fact that they're connected to the senator and maybe that will make this easier to sort out the ending.

Overall though, I think this still a great story and I can see why you ended up liking it, it's very good and the ideas behind the main protagonist, Claire, are just very intricate yet simplistic at the same time. You've written this well and the idea is great. Hopefully my review will help smooth out some of those bumpy edges that you have. ^^

Keep writing, you're stories are getting far more interesting than the last and I can see so much growth it's quite amazing. : D

Let me know if you need anything else! <3

-Pink




Shearwater says...


Oh dear, I made a few spelling errors in this. *Shakes fists at her fast typing* I wish we had an edit button!



User avatar
1087 Reviews


Points: 44360
Reviews: 1087

Donate
Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:33 pm
Sins wrote a review...



Heya, Shubs! I'm finally here. :)

I really liked this overall and I praise you for writing in the POV of a child. I'm still hoping to try and write a novel in the POV of a child eventually, so I found this very interesting. As a whole, I think you portrayed a child's voice rather well. At times, yes, the vocabulary and what not did sound a bit older, but it didn't bother me in the slightest. As for the plot, I like it. It's not the most original idea in the world, but I love how you made it your own by using the metaphor as a demon for the Claire's father. I really liked that. So yeah, overall, I think you've done a really awesome job here, Shubs.

Okay, so I know that the ending is really bothering you but I honestly don't think it's as bog of an obstacle as you think. Yes, the fact that there's a news report the morning after is unrealistic, but there's a few things you could do to fix that. This may sound incredibly obvious, but can't you just have Claire stay with her Aunty and Uncle for a longer period of time and then after a month or so, she wakes up one morning to see that news report? You wouldn't have to add in a huge chunk about that month spent with her Aunty and Uncle, just a brief overview of that month at the beginning of the day when she sees the news report or something.

If you just really don't like the ending as a whole, there's always the option of just changing it completely. Like Jas said, I don't think it would do much harm if you just cut that last section out and leave the readers to interpret what will happen next themselves. If you don't want to do that though, why don't you try and come up with a completely new idea? I know you were struggling to come up with something before, but just try and think of every ending possible, write them down and then try and decide which one would work best. I would suggest a different ending, but there are so many options available that I wouldn't know where to start.

Honestly though? I don't think an entirely new ending is necessary. I really do think what I said before about having the news report a month later will sort the problem out. Claire's grandfather is relatively famous so it would make sense for his son's murder to be in the news. I wouldn't say he's quite famous enough to be next day, headline news, so if you push it a month forward or so, I think it'll work just fine. It may need a bit of explaining of how the month has been for Claire, but that should be easy enough for you.

The ending aside, the only other real critique I have for you is the reasoning behind Claire's mother's confession. I think Jas said something about this actually. Firstly, I don't know why she'd be worrying about Claire going to any kind of prison because, well, she's just a kid. I think you should change that worry to social services because that would make more sense. If she's killed her father, she wouldn't go to prison, but she may be put into care or something like that.

The other problem I'm seeing with Claire's mother's worries though is what she said about Claire having to be interviewed and all of that. The problem there is that no matter what, whether her mother laid the blame on herself or on Claire, Claire would be interviewed and questioned about her father's death. She's the only other one who lived with her mother and father, so the police would want to get any information possible out of her. An onlooker's view, as such. Besides, even if Claire's mother did confess, wouldn't it be an obvious case of self-defence?

Other than the few things I've mentioned, I don't have anything else to say about this really. My review probably makes me sound like I hated this or something, but I honestly didn't. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the whole story is right up my alley. In case you haven't noticed, I have quite the taste for broken homes, violence, death, innocence being destroyed and overall depressing subjects. If you fix up a few things, I think this could be so insanely awesome. As for the ending, you honestly don't need to worry about it as much as you have been. Just a few tweaks will sort the whole thing out, I think.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins




User avatar
336 Reviews


Points: 805
Reviews: 336

Donate
Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:18 am
Jas wrote a review...



Hey Shubhi,

You always give me the best reviews and I humbly hope this one can help you. :]

Overall, this is a really good story. The perspective of a child which is one of the hardest styles to master, but you've done it beautifully here. The idea for the story is original and the imagery is absolutely gorgeous. However there are some kinks that need to be worked out.

1. Yes, there are times where you speak with the vocabulary of someone much older than 6. I'll bold the words or phrases that don't seem very elementary-aged and other little nitpicky things.

That devilish green slimy thing would scamper away when God will yell at him for making Claire’s, that’s me, daddy behave so badly.


I doubt a child would know the alternate forms of devil.

I put in my pinky finger inside my mouth and start suckling it and that makes me feel better.


Do you mean 'sucking'? Suckling sounds kind of 1800's like.

He’s wickeder than Cyrus who pulls my pig tails in school.


'wickeder' is something no one in this time period would really say, let alone a 6 year old. Meaner would work much better.

but the demon comes to know and kicks her.


Comes to know what?

There’s blood of the colour same as the ladybugs Mrs. Kruger showed us in the playground.


So once, my little cousin Sara who coincidentally is 6 years old, got really mad at me for changing the tv channel during Spongebob. She grabbed the remote out of my hand and threw it at me. It missed and hit a picture frame behind me which consequently shattered all over me. Sara was angry that I changed the channel but she was terrified that because I was bleeding she killed me.

Claire is a 6 year old. She doesn't have the knowledge of what wounds hurt and what wounds kill. She probably would have freaked out by all the blood, not praise herself on killing the demon. Maybe not, she's your character, but it's just not very realistic.

I have turned into Buttercup.


Buttercup?

I got us rid of the Demon and of his really bad plans.


What really bad plans?


But she didn’t scream at me and asked me to pack my toys in my school bag-but only the important ones.


I had to read this over a few times to understand it. Maybe end the sentence at 'scream at me' and start a new one with 'Instead she asked me to...'. It would make more sense.



2. The ending with the newscaster makes nooooo sense at all. If someone admitted to a homicide that occurred the day before, even if the person killed was a celebrity or even the president, it would not make the news that quickly. However, I doubt David Sparks was a celebrity and this wasn't a very controversial or mysterious murder so why did it make national news? Murders that make national news usually involve one or more of the following: 1. It's been more than a month and not enough evidence for trial has been found yet. 2. It involves someone influential or affluent. 3. It involves a child. 4. It was a particularly gruesome murder.

It's been less than 24 hours, no where near a month. To our knowledge, neither Tiffany nor David Sparks are celebrities of any kind. Now this does involve a child but the general media does not know that. It was a head wound and the reason Claire's dad died was probably because he bled to death or had a concussion or something, not like he was mutilated or anything.

I can go on and on about why the newscaster part makes no sense (even if alllll of this was forgivable, the fact is the police would never in a thousand years give up this information to national media within a day.) but I think you get it. I honestly think you should just completely take out the bit with the newscaster and end the story with Claire starting her new life with Aunt Mel and stuff.

3. I'm pretty sure Tiffany was trying to keep Claire out of jail or whatever, but um, 6 year olds don't go to jail. As a 6 year old, she would not be able to stand for trial. Even if that somehow went through, Claire would have been acquitted because again, as a child, she is incapable of telling right from wrong and could not be found responsible for something that in her ignorant mind seemed completely right.

Also, the forensics team would probably be able to tell that Tiffany was not the one who killed David just by the angle with which the vase hit his head or something. Then they'd ask if anyone else was there and they'd find out Claire was there and since Claire is 6 years old, incapable of lying and wouldn't find reason to lie because she honestly believes what she did was the right thing, they'd realize she killed her father.

So overall, Tiffany's whole 'I AM A MOTHER AND I'M BRAVE AND STUFF' thing just would not work out.


~

Overall, I think this is a great little story. I think it needs some work but it has the potential to be absolutely fantastic. I think what you really need to do is hang out with a 6 year old for a day or if you can't maybe watch a movie or some clips featuring young children and imitate the way they speak in your writing. There are times where the way Claire describes things just does not fit her age at all. Go over this with a red pen many times and you'll catch everything. PM me if you repost or edit this and I'll come back to re-review. :]

Hope this helped!

~Jas




User avatar
189 Reviews


Points: 398
Reviews: 189

Donate
Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:42 am
View Likes
manisha says...



wow, it was .... beautiful. I truly loved it. your language was mesmerising. The innocence of the child has been brought out extremely well. i was so lost in the story that I couldnt pick any wrongs. maybe the ending was expecred but other than that it was amazing. The child refering to her drunk dad as a demon was really good. you did a good job of writing through the childs perspective.
I have nothing critical to say.

congratulations on a good story!




MiaParamore says...


Thanks a lot, Manisha! :)

I was actually nervous that it's not evident that the demon thing is just the figment of the girl's imagination. But thank God, you got the meaning. :)

And, I think I have to work out more on the girl's language because at some places I feel it seems mature. Not really mature, but something she might not be able to say in actual. xD!

Thanks a ton again!




Who knows anything about anyone, let alone themselves.
— Hank Green