z

Young Writers Society



Wanderlust.

by Jas


His mother killed herself four years after he was born.
It wasn't his fault or hers really. The voices had just gotten too loud and no one was there to stop them. It was quiet -- pills, too many and some orange juice; a soft death for a soft woman.
His father sold the house, with the wind chimes on the porch and an apple tree in the backyard, and moved them into a small ground floor apartment in the city. The bathroom was too small, the screen door slammed and it didn't feel like home.
He doesn't remember the funeral much, just a stiff black shirt, a loud church organ and shiny shoes that he could stare at for hours. He hadn't laughed or giggled when he saw his face distorted and colorless in the reflection of his shoes. He knew.
At four years old, he knew.
--
His father left five years after the death of his mother.
He didn't take much, just a few button-downs shoved haphazardly into a small black suitcase, the leather wallet that he loved so much because it had her picture in it, the twenty-two dollars and sixty-one cents that was in emergencies jar on the kitchen counter and fatherhood.
His father had tucked him in earlier; ruffled his dark hair, kissed his head softly then left quietly. He was asleep in bed, not hearing the creaks of the stairs, the suitcase banging down each step, the hacked coughs or the slam of the screen door.
But in the morning, he didn't scream or cry or drown himself in disbelief. He called his grandmother and let her wonder and call friends and family and dive into the sea of grief. He knew.
At nine years old, he knew.
--
His grandmother died eight years after his father left.
She was brash and loud, the crazy bat lady of the street, with thin blue hair and sagged, wrinkly skin. She died of a stroke in her bright green armchair, a Japanese cooking show on the television, her knitting needles still in her hands, a half done scarf or hat tangled on the ends (she made it for him).
He comforted himself with the fact that she died in her home like she wanted, not surrounded by cold hospital sheets and bleeping monitors. He mourned her quickly, not really surprised that another person had left him.
Another house was sold and a trust fund was set up with all his grandmother's assets. He became a ward of state for two months, living with a pleasant woman in a too-happy house; the walls painted bright yellows and pinks, small embroidered pillows placed on the uncomfortable couch.
His birthday passed and the next week, he was gone, a little note with the proper thank you's found the next morning. He thought about genetics and hereditary traits and family genes and how since he was eight, he wanted to leave, like both his parents, how he couldn't stay in one place for too long, with any one person because he'd go insane. He knew.
At eighteen, he knew.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 10840
Reviews: 202

Donate
Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:02 pm
Blues wrote a review...



Hi, Jas!

Sorry for taking a long time to get to this. Life >_> I've got no excuses though. I shouldn't let that get in the way. You've got some good reviews! So this'll be a bit short, unless I say all the points without caring if it's been mentioned xD

My opinion of the piece: Nice! I like it. It's short and sweet with a dramatic ending. I dunno though, I wouldn't call it a story though. There's not much of a ... plot. It's more of a piece? I can't describe it. (Also. Piece doesn't fit it)

Your descriptions here were good, even though there wasn't much of it. They were nice and short and enough to visualise things that we - as readers - need to know.

I know that others will have probably mentioned it, but I didn't feel that there was much to... think about. The theme was there, and for me, I would probably think of this as a piece where you'd think about it afterwards. I didn't really feel that though, and I think that's because it needed a bit of expansion. What *did* he know? Expand more, I think. This in my opinion has got the potential to be a piece where you think about it for days and days, before you go to bed, when you're waiting on the bus going to school and not worrying about what Mrs. Ashford is going to say about your poor test result.

That's it from me! I hope I helped, and as always, feel free to as me any questions that you've got.

Keeeeep writing!

~Ahmad




User avatar
163 Reviews


Points: 4987
Reviews: 163

Donate
Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:03 am
View Likes
Kit wrote a review...



I notice my colleagues below have said this is too short. I don't mind fiction being short at all, some of my favourite short stories are a few paragraphs long. To be honest, I don't feel this as a story, I feel this as lyrical prose poetry, in mood akin to Gwen Harwood's sonnets. The attention to detail in this piece is very fine, i think the muted, raw tone is absolutely right, but it all fits within the one mood. There is plot, a lot happens, but there is no climax and resolution, it is in the one vein. That's not to say something happens and makes it all better, but for it to be a narrative there has to be contrast. And I think you can have more on the 'knowing' without making it too opaque, about the way it physically feels, even if it is a lack of feeling, what it is to be around kids who are oblivious to the world as he experienced. I would like to see more of a.connection to the title as well, how these experiences gave him that wanderlust, fear of abandonment is an obvious result, being detached and having difficulty connecting with people, I can see him hating his parents for leaving, and through that hatred fear of being like them, but as it stands the idea is introduced a bit late and it feels like "My mum and dad abandoned me and scarred me for life, I want to be just like them".

how since he was eight, he wanted to leave, like both his parents,


See what I mean? Him thinking it's inevitable, resigning to it, sure, wanting is an odd place to get to. You know your character, so it's not to say he doesn't feel it, buot I would like to know how he got there.

a soft death for a soft woman.


That is gorgeous and understated.

He didn't take much, just a few button-downs shoved haphazardly into a small black suitcase, the leather wallet that he loved so much because it had her picture in it, the twenty-two dollars and sixty-one cents that was in emergencies jar on the kitchen counter and fatherhood. 


Unruly sentence. I thought about the kid methodically checking through the house to work out what the father had taken, what do you think? The perspective thing is interesting, the mother, you get an insight into her head, the father is almost like conjecture rather than being in his head, like the kid pieced it together afterwards, and then you don't really get a perspective from the grandmother. Maybe establish it all one way or the other, I don't know.

But in the morning, he didn't scream or cry or drown himself in disbelief. He called his grandmother and let her wonder and call friends and family and dive into the sea of grief. He knew.


Second sentense runs on a bit, tie the drowning and the sea together.


Yeah, lyric poetry, or a prologue to a longer story is how this comes off, you could make it anything, really. It's lovely though, good to see more from you. Particularly impressed with the detailed observations. Well done.




User avatar
152 Reviews


Points: 244
Reviews: 152

Donate
Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:49 pm
Niebla wrote a review...



Hey again, Jas!

I really like this! It’s short and sweet; the descriptions effective and unique and compact, somehow. The style flows and fits the mood of the piece pretty perfectly. I actually read this a few days ago although I didn’t get round to reviewing it then – and it has stuck in my mind since pretty well. In other words it left a pretty lasting impact on me.

However, there are a few things I’d really like to say – although part of the effect may be the brevity of this story, I feel just as if it’s a little too compact. I’d love it if you expanded it just a little more. Personally, I loved the way that the idea of him knowing reoccurred at the end of each segment of the piece, always returning to that idea, making it the central point of the piece. I get the general idea of him “knowing” meaning him understanding, knowing that he was in so many ways like his family and could never stay, always needing to move on and in a way erase all responsibilities from his life unless he wanted to go insane. However, I’d love it if you expanded this idea and explained a little more about what exactly he knew. This piece leaves a lot open for the reader to fill in themselves and to an extent that’s very effective - but I think that you could add just a little more without dampening the tone and impact, hopefully even strengthening it!

It’s a small, pretty polished piece, so I can’t honestly find all that much to pick on. The form of the story, in a way, is interesting – it doesn’t focus on scenes happening in the moment, rather just skims the surface and gives the reader an impression of this character, his childhood and what it led to. In a way, I love this type of story – on the other hand, I’d love to see you writing something which goes a little deeper past the surface, perhaps expanding more, focusing on the moments, making the reader feel as if they’re actually there, like a film playing out inside their mind. This was beautiful, nicely written and polished, but it was more of an advert than a film. I want more of those unique and effective lines of description, more there to truly draw me in.

In summary, I really loved this and can’t find all that much to pick on. However, I really hope that you continue with unique ideas like this and expand at least some of them over time – your writing is beautiful and it could go a long way.

Keep writing,

~MorningMist~




User avatar
816 Reviews


Points: 44887
Reviews: 816

Donate
Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:41 am
Shearwater wrote a review...



Hey, Jas!

Thanks for the request! So this is a pretty tiny piece of literature so this review might be a little on the short side as well. However, I do still a couple of things I'd like to say about this since this story did peak some of my interests.

Firstly, did you have a word limit for this story in general? Because it seems like you did and I know that fitting a story into a short space is difficult. However, if you didn't I think you could use your infinite space to elaborate more on this idea of 'knowing'. Actually, I didn't exactly understand the meaning of his 'knowing'. What did he know? That he had to leave? That he had to banish himself? It's still a little fuzzy on the reason of why he know or what he know and the cause of this effect. Perhaps you can enlighten us a little further? Or perhaps I couldn't catch the meaning that was hidden in the passage?

Your opening, I found it to be a 90 degree dive into the subject and I did like that. It was clear cut and oddly fitting for this piece. The second little sentence though seemed to have too many breaks that it was difficult to read and it didn't flow accordingly. Perhaps you can rearrange that bit.

Overall, this was an interesting story and could've done more on it's own if I could figure out the idea behind the effect of leaving everyone in the end. Hmm. One more thing I want to mention is that this story did have lots of negative points to it, the child is simply too sad for me to really feel any "real" empathy for him. His mom dies, his dad leaves, his grandmother dies and then he leaves his apparently happy home. Why? There are many things that go unanswered for me to really believe this is possible unless the deaths were caused by some supernatural force, one that he connects to? I'm not sure but as you can see, it's intriguing yet doesn't cut to the overall ending and needs a little bit more explanation or detail. One sentence or a few can do this story wonders, I'll say.

Anyway, keep writing and let me know if you have any questions! I'm a quick PM away. :)

All the best,
-Pink Ranger




Random avatar

Points: 1355
Reviews: 27

Donate
Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:40 am
ahhhsmusch says...



I feel like this story is incomplete. It is written well and has good flow and structure (maybe to much structure as Shinda says), but it seems as if this is a summary more so than a full-fledged story. I think this is because the lack of an arch to the story. It is a straight line from the first line to the last. The main character experiences all of these hardships, the deaths of his mother, father and grandmother, and all of these events leads to his own demise. However, there isn't any build up through these events. I did not feel any type of surprise by the ending, and although I felt pity for the character because of his losses, the pity could have been greatly intensified if I knew his character better, if I knew what his life was like and how he dealt with all of this on a more day-to-day basis instead of just the end result.

I hope some of this helps. This is all my opinion, so do what you will with it. :)

-Adam




User avatar
91 Reviews


Points: 12142
Reviews: 91

Donate
Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:58 am
Wolferion wrote a review...



Cheers! Let's get crackin', shall we? Ikuzou!
I've put your story in the spoiler with my personal comments and inputs.

Spoiler! :
His mother killed herself four years after he was born.

It wasn't his fault or hers really. The voices had just gotten too loud and no one was there to stop them. It was quiet -- pills, too many and some orange juice; a soft death for a soft woman.
Small nitpicks, but I believe they will improve your story and the impression it gives too - it's about the impact in your piece, make it strong. So, I believe that you lack a comma between 'hers' and 'really'. If you switched 'no one' with 'nobody', it'd be better. I also believe that if you used semicolon ; between 'really' and 'The voices', it'd have a much better flow. As about the impression so far - it feels like a recalling of a death note with hammer hitting a desk in the background.


His father sold the house, with the wind chimes on the porch and an apple tree in the backyard, and moved them into a small ground floor apartment in the city. The bathroom was too small, the screen door slammed and it didn't feel like home.
- You have me wondering. I've seen you use vague adjectives like 'really', but now you're missing them? If I am to keep to the feeling you gave in previous paragraphs, I'd see the last sentence like : 'and it didn't feel like home at all. See the difference?


He doesn't remember the funeral much, just a stiff black shirt, a loud church organ and shiny shoes that he could stare at for hours. He hadn't laughed or giggled when he saw his face distorted and colorless in the reflection of his shoes. He knew.
Hadn't? I think there's no need for it at all, it's actually annoying, why don't use past simple? 'He didn't laugh or giggle when he saw his face'.[/b[

At four years old, he knew.
[b]- At times so far I have problem to understand whether it is emotional or not. You do use colorful adjectives and emotional input at times, but sometimes it feels like a mechanical note. I do not know what your original intention in this piece is, but one is for sure - it is melancholical.


--

His father left five years after the death of his mother.

He didn't take much, just a few button-downs shoved haphazardly into a small black suitcase, the leather wallet that he loved so much because it had her picture in it, the twenty-two dollars and sixty-one cents that was in emergencies jar on the kitchen counter and fatherhood.
- I see you have a knack for using commas a lot. To be honest, for example between 'much' and 'just', you could use semicolon ; and it would just look and flow so much better.

His father had tucked him in earlier; ruffled his dark hair, kissed his head softly then left quietly. He was asleep in bed, not hearing the creaks of the stairs, the suitcase banging down each step, the hacked coughs or the slam of the screen door.
-Funny to see you lack a comma between 'softly' and 'then', when you use commas so much. Have I just spotted semicolon? Well placed too, shame you didn't use it before.

But in the morning, he didn't scream or cry or drown himself in disbelief. He called his grandmother and let her wonder and call friends and family and dive into the sea of grief. He knew.

At nine years old, he knew.

--

His grandmother died eight years after his father left.

She was brash and loud, the crazy bat lady of the street, with thin blue hair and sagged, wrinkly skin. She died of a stroke in her bright green armchair, a Japanese cooking show on the television, her knitting needles still in her hands, a half done scarf or hat tangled on the ends (she made it for him).
- You know, you could use - sometimes instead of commas and semicolons too.

He comforted himself with the fact that she died in her home like she wanted, not surrounded by cold hospital sheets and bleeping monitors. He mourned her quickly, not really surprised that another person had left him.

Another house was sold and a trust fund was set up with all his grandmother's assets. He became a ward of state for two months, living with a pleasant woman in a too-happy house; the walls painted bright yellows and pinks, small embroidered pillows placed on the uncomfortable couch.

His birthday passed and the next week, he was gone, a little note with the proper thank you's found the next morning. He thought about genetics and hereditary traits and family genes and how since he was eight, he wanted to leave, like both his parents, how he couldn't stay in one place for too long, with any one person because he'd go insane. He knew.
- Once again I believe semicolon or - would go so much better between 'gone' and 'a little'. No need for comma between 'leave' and 'like'. Er, looks like a stylistics mistake there - 'with any person' and no need for comma between 'long' and 'with' and you're lacking comma before 'because'

At eighteen, he knew.


With the comments done in spoiler, I'd like to talk about it in general. To be honest, well, it does have an impression of melancholy and leaves a lot of place for us to imagine or think what happens there and here, however, I can't decide whether it's emotional or mechanical - you use emotional adjectives at one moment, then go like robot at the other moment. It's a small nitpick, but I believe that you should stick to just one - and preferably to emotional too, because it makes us feel, see, smell and bring forth our own feelings like sympathy.

Now, I'm not saying that this is a bad piece - it's not a bad read and it's quite short, so it's memorizable and leaves a small impact, but I can't really call this a great piece of work or anything close to it. I'm sorry, but it doesn't have enough impact and lacks decisive deep descriptions for heaviness. Just as mechanical as it seems, I will very soon forget about it and never look back - I wonder if that's a kind of writing you want to have.

Best regards,
~Kyou




Jas says...


Thanks!



User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 1406
Reviews: 14

Donate
Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:44 am
figureofspeech wrote a review...



This is a really good one, I believe I will like it. *Hits like*. You structured each part of the story really well. Each a little the same, a little different. It really worked. You really showed what a certain, but sad person he was.

Keep writing. The world need more little gems like this.




Jas says...


Thanks!




You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus